DIALOG SYSTEM | The 'ANTI-FLIRTING' or 'SNAP' option

by PandaTar

Original Post

Re: No Romance or dialog options with Iron Bull

★ Pro

@JucieN7 wrote:

I would love something like that.

2. Ryder needs some option which is more defensive or firm. I had some moments in the game where I looked at the dialgue options and thought they are not strong enough. Ryder always stays "the same". Sometimes sarcastic, sometimes emotional...etc, but Ryder never just says "ok, I had enough. Don't continue/don't insult me/don't hurt anyone again" thing. 

Again, you are looking for aggressive, not defensive. Defensive implies that you are wrong/sorry/losing the argument, and are trying to cover it up (see politicians in CYA mode). I don't think that this is the kind of response any of us want. Firm is acceptable. Aggressive has it firmly established in your mind that if someone here is wrong it's not me (see Presidential Twitter feed). Being an * is not required, but if Ryder isn't wrong I don't want to act like the are.

Message 11 of 34 (736 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I think she meant Defending a point. Aggressive speech doesn't translate precisely to Right speech. You can defend your point being right. If your defense is polite or aggressive, that's another point. ^_^

Message 12 of 34 (731 Views)

★★★ Guide

@fudgietroll wrote:

@JucieN7 wrote:

I would love something like that.

2. Ryder needs some option which is more defensive or firm. I had some moments in the game where I looked at the dialgue options and thought they are not strong enough. Ryder always stays "the same". Sometimes sarcastic, sometimes emotional...etc, but Ryder never just says "ok, I had enough. Don't continue/don't insult me/don't hurt anyone again" thing. 

Again, you are looking for aggressive, not defensive. Defensive implies that you are wrong/sorry/losing the argument, and are trying to cover it up (see politicians in CYA mode). I don't think that this is the kind of response any of us want. Firm is acceptable. Aggressive has it firmly established in your mind that if someone here is wrong it's not me (see Presidential Twitter feed). Being an * is not required, but if Ryder isn't wrong I don't want to act like the are.

I don't want my Ryder to be aggressive at all, but I want them to stand for themselves and not letting anyone keep insulting or hurting them. I don't want them to insult anyone or punch someone. I just want them to be able to say "hey, I had enough. Stop it." I don't think that's aggressive. And that is not being an * to just say "you can't treat me like that"

@fudgietroll
And please don't write things like "aggressive has it firmly established in your mind". You don't know nothing about my mind or what I want, how I think or whatsoever. Don't judge me by a few posts. And if you think of the other thread that "That's what I keep saying while playing" That is what I myself keep saying not what I want my Ryder to say. 

Message 13 of 34 (729 Views)

★ Pro

@PandaTar wrote:

I think she meant Defending a point. Aggressive speech doesn't translate precisely to Right speech. You can defend your point being right. If your defense is polite or aggressive, that's another point. ^_^

Sorry, side effect of growing up with the grammar-obsessed. I'm just trying to protect word precision on the off chance Bioware decides to implement this suggestion, so they don't scroll through and say "OK, 60 people want defensive reply options" and we wind up with some lame MEA versions of (extreme example) "I know I said * didn't use chemical weapons on his own people but..."

As I said, a firm shut-down is fine by me

Message 14 of 34 (713 Views)

★★★★ Pro

The game presents us with many CONFRONT THIS ONE AND THAT ONE moments. I think Confront could be a sort of option we have along with the mood-like ones, mostly triggered by TIMED EVENTS. You choose CONFRONT, then 3 additional options appear to you:

• POLITE
  • COLD
  • AGGRESSIVE

They are all you defending your position, but how you do it remains to be seen. Polite makes your position FIRM, but not really harassing, threatening or anything other than civilized conversation. Something on those lines.

Message 15 of 34 (710 Views)

Re: DIALOG SYSTEM | The 'ANTI-FLIRTING' or 'SNAP' option

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Changed the thread title for you, @PandaTar. Is it possible that you searched for something like "no flirt option" first before creating this thread? The forum sometimes uses titles from threads you found with your search as default thread title then. And if you don't notice that right away, you'll end up with that title for your new thread.

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 16 of 34 (707 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Thank you. I might have clicked on a search result without noticing and it stuck there. I was completely bamboozled by that "Iron Bull" part, because I'm not familiar with Dragon Age.

Thanks again for fixing that for me. I'll be more careful when giving titles not to click on suggestions by mistake. Thumbs up

Message 17 of 34 (704 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

No problem! Love the discussion btw. Some great ideas here. (Although to be honest, my Ryder flirts with everything he can flirt with. Would love to flirt with Addison and Sloane. Perhaps a "Flirt to spite them" option? )

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 18 of 34 (702 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@EA_Spectre wrote:

No problem! Love the discussion btw. Some great ideas here. (Although to be honest, my Ryder flirts with everything he can flirt with. Would love to flirt with Addison and Sloane. Perhaps a "Flirt to spite them" option? )

Would this be like when you are talking to Sloane and the conversation is going poorly/off the rails, as usual, you hit the impulse-control-issues button and give her a five second smooch right on the lips? I could definitely see some interesting responses coming out of that.

Message 19 of 34 (685 Views)

★★ Guide

Actually, there are two parts I really like about your original idea Panda.

First, the same idea has often been expressed by folks who didn't like Fallout 4.  The problem is options.  Development teams (or management, as the case may be) aren't giving us enough options in games these days.  I've seen mod authors provide better optional content than an original game provides, with decent voice acting, for FREE.  I personally ALWAYS play the good guy/girl.  But that doesn't mean I believe people should have no option to be assertive, aggressive, defensive, or just plan rude and mean.  It's a game.  People should be able to play how they want, switch it up with different playthroughs, etc.  So, I'm all for the types of options you're describing.  Would I use those?  No.  But there are plenty of people who would and they should be able to do so.

Second, and more interesting to me, is the affect on SAM you mentioned.  NEVER thought about that and I've dove quite a bit into my thoughts on SAM, even some of the posts I've made on these forums.  I'm not someone who cares about SAM's implant or his ability to stop my heart at any time.  I don't think conspiracy theories about SAM or think anything bad will come of the symbiotic relationship "in general".  However, I didn't have the option to be an a-hole either.  If those options were added, would SAM then become more negative, vengeful, violent?  Is it possible that SAM would recognize your negative actions and consider some of them wrong.  If you continued down a destructive path, would SAM even want to no longer be in a symbiotic relationship with you.  Would SAM in a sense choose the better path.  Great question to bring up!

Message 20 of 34 (674 Views)