Re: Biotics can feel so useless, maybe I am just bad?

by EgoMania

Original Post

Biotics can feel so useless, maybe I am just bad?

★★★★ Apprentice

As it is there are classes in multiplayer that do everything well without exceptions, I f.ex. love the Turian Havoc Trooper and the Duelist. When trying biotic dependent characters the story changes unless it is "Annihalation" based.

I was trying the Kineticist and actually doing well, it is a lot more fun to send things flying than shooting them or grab your own pet and show it off to your teammates. When the * hits the fan however I felt like I was at 50%, I had my Hurricane only due to weight limits and facing multiple armored opponents which are pretty much immune to everything I do biotic based, so there is the search for other targets and hoping the rest of the team isn´t struggling too much.

The above is not a problem I have with any non-biotic dependent classes. I can understand the fact that biotics would be too powerful if you could send Hydras flying, however I feel the devs could have done something about the damage to make it more viable as an overall class.

I could understand if each class had a dependency on others but it isn´t so, I am very reluctant to give my kineticist a sniper .... simply because then I will have just another sniper, its too tempting to resort to sniping everything.

Message 1 of 6 (940 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Much of biotic gameplay is priming for combos and crowd control. Prime them all for combos while debuffing, rooting and slowing. Individual kill count is not the concern. Controlling the flow of the battle and setting up teammates is just as important. Singularity groups of mobs and hit them with a shockwave for a cluster bomb. Pull enemies and drop them off the map edge. Debuff damage resist with biotic effects and Disciple X that Krogan in his face. Annihilate and lance with a melee build. Jump, dash, slam, Nova prime and biotic charge detonate then punch away with a Vanguard. Stun barricade, weapon ammo and throw with the Sentinel. Make everything you do compound into more damage with a biotic. Its not hard to top a gold/silver board with assists and you can easily solo bronze with Biotics. I did a 42,559 solo bronze Kett drinking my morning coffee today with an Adept. Didn't even have to lean in on it.

Think synergistically. Sniping all day gets boring and becomes an unsporting crutch. Keep that purple in the rotation.

Message 2 of 6 (902 Views)

Betreff: Biotics can feel so useless, maybe I am just bad?

★ Guide

I think most players agree that a lot of powers and combos are pretty weak right now. The devs are also looking into this, so maybe there will be some buffs in the future.

But right now the powers are more for reasons of utility than doing damage.

For example your kineticist is really great for stagger and stunning almost every enemy. You just have to equip a good priming weapon (like the paw) and an ammo mod (disruptor works well) and suddenly you can even deal with armored targets by throwing primed redbars into them (or prime the armored and then throw something on them). You can continue this for stunning whole groups and either the enemies finally die because of your throw/combo damage or you at least giving your team a opportunity to eliminate them.

Message 3 of 6 (896 Views)

★★ Apprentice
You're using the Kineticist wrong is all. Biotic Ascension negates any need to worry about carry weight because as long as you keep it up your cooldowns don't exist.

I specced mine with Max throw force (rank 4) with pull gives me shield regen and +40% max shields while a biotic effect is active. Biotic kills give you shields back is also Very useful.

I use a sniper rifle to quickly build up Ascension and then everything without shields or armor simply becomes ammunition to throw at everything else.
Message 4 of 6 (870 Views)

★★ Apprentice
My favorite biotic class is actually the human vanguard and I use his abilities purely for utility. I have Shockwave maxed with area, reach, and it primes/launches people. Then charge with area impact, and full shields /damage resistance. As a combo this is fantastic because I send in Shockwave sending health bars flying, charge in and detonate all of them. Then use my guns to mop up everything while I'm crazy tough from charge. I put most of my passives into gun damage as well.
Message 5 of 6 (868 Views)

★ Pro

I have this too. Somehow it doesn't feel fun or powerful.

Personally I blame the lack of class definition for this. In the set up of ME:A you can be all classes and switch around between them freely. That may sound nice but at the same time it means that there need to be some limitations set (like only getting 3 active skills) and a balancing of powers.

It seems that the combination of combat and tech is master here. You can bring lots of weapons and have a sniper set up as part of that and I only used biotic on one playthrough when I played a charge in and blast them basically. But also that gets a bit boring just like sniping. I know, you can swap around but I just don't like that concept very much. Being a biotic is actually a big deal or it used to be. This swapping profiles business just makes it all feel a bit cheap and meaningless to me. So I don't focus on the combat so much in this game.

Message 6 of 6 (848 Views)