origin deleting texmod

by sunwisecircles

Original Post

Accepted Solution

origin deleting texmod

★★★★★ Apprentice

since the latest adventure with Origin and Mass Effect 3 another has problem has raised it's head. I cannot use texmod to load some of the older .tpf files. every time i try to launch through texmod (since the latest origin update) there is about a 2min download and once the game is ready to play texmod.exe is deleted from the win32 folder. I have tried a restore point; uninstall and reinstall origin (which automatically installs the latest update); running Origin as administrator etc. I'm getting very tired. If anyone can help (perhaps @holger1405) I would be so happy. All I ask is that Origin works.

Message 1 of 16 (3,812 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: origin deleting texmod

@sunwisecircles

Try to clear your Origin cache.
All settings in Origin (only in Origin not in the games) are back to default settings after this.)

- close Origin completely. (right click on the Origin symbol in the task bar > close)
    - Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
    - Type or copy  "%ProgramData%/Origin" (without quotes) > hit ENTER
    - Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for the "LocalContent" folder. (The "LocalContent" folder must remain untouched.)

- Delete the "Mass Effect 3" folder inside the "LocalContent" folder.
    - Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
    - Type or copy "%AppData%" (without quotes)  > hit ENTER
    - Now your Windows explorer should have brought you to your "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Roaming" folder
    - Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the "Roaming" folder
    - In the address bar of your Windows explorer click on the word "AppData".
    - Open the "Local" folder
    - Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the  "Local" folder
    - Restart your PC. > Test.

If that don't works, do you use mods that don't require Textmode? (ME3 Explorer or ME3 mod manager mods)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 12 of 16 (4,469 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@sunwisecircles

Disable automatic game updates.

Origin menu top left > Origin > Application settings > Client update > automatic game updates > off. (Gray)

Edit: The original "MassEffect3.exe" is still in the folder and you rename it before you start?

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 16 (3,801 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Yep. All of that. Except that reinstalling origin automatically installs the latest update. And yeah, name the masseffect3.exe file to something like masseffect3.fff and then texmod.exe to masseffect3.exe and once i get the texmod box, i change them back to their original names. I was playing happily only yesterday.
Message 3 of 16 (3,792 Views)

Not sure if this will help, but I've attached a pdf to this post with a manual I created years ago to help explain how to use Texmod with ME3 and Origin.

SD Signature Banner

Message 4 of 16 (3,786 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

thanks @sundance31us using texmod isn't the actual problem. It is disappearing from my win32 folder when i try to run ME3 through it.

Message 5 of 16 (3,771 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Message 6 of 16 (3,757 Views)

[ Edited ]

@sunwisecircles

I tested Texmod just now on ME3 and it runs flawless for me.

The problem might be that you chance the files extension, (masseffect3.fff).

Try to rename the "MassEffect3.exe" to "MassEffect3_bak.exe" and try again.

How do you rename the executables, with a batch?

Message 7 of 16 (3,749 Views)

I use the following bat file to do the renaming: (This was created by Black Angel One)

@ECHO OFF
ECHO Run Mass Effect 3 with Texmod?
SET /P X=(Y)es or (N)o?
IF /I "%X%"=="Y" goto :Yes
IF /I "%X%"=="N" goto :No
GOTO END

:Yes
ren "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\MassEffect3.exe" "MassEffect3_tmp.exe
ren "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\Texmod.exe" "MassEffect3.exe"

ECHO Files renamed! Please start now your Mass Effect 3 in Origin.
PAUSE

ren "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\MassEffect3.exe" "Texmod.exe"
ren "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\MassEffect3_tmp.exe" "MassEffect3.exe"

ECHO Filenames restored! Now you can start Mass Effect 3 with use of TexMod.
PAUSE

GOTO END

:No

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\MassEffect3.exe"

:END

To create the bat file I copied the code above into Notepad (I prefer to use Notepad++), saved and then changed the .txt to .bat

Note: If your game is saved in a different file from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32" you'll want to change that information in the txt file.

I've attached a manual I created a that shows how to use the bat file.

SD Signature Banner

Message 8 of 16 (3,738 Views)

With the Texmod dialogue box all set to go, all you have to do is press "Run"...have you tried coping a fresh Texmod.exe into your "Win32" file?

SD Signature Banner

Message 9 of 16 (3,733 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

okay i tried using masseffect3_bak.exe and it still didn't work. I'm beginning to think it may be a situation for my computer guy.

Message 10 of 16 (3,717 Views)