Re: how do you install mass effect 3 from the disc?

by ThandalNLyman

Original Post

★★ Novice

Yeah, going offline did the trick for me. Standard smile Installing ME1 ATM. 

Message 31 of 41 (1,328 Views)

★★ Novice

Nah, offline mode greys out the install option. So your suggestion doesn't work (in July 2017).

Message 32 of 41 (1,273 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm having essentially the same problem, but it appears I'm getting some additional trouble that doesn't make things better. Origin keeps prompting me for my game code when I start the installer from disk. When I type it in, all I get is "this code has already been redeemed". Of course it has! And that's essentially the end of the installation. Sure I could download the game, but why would I when I have a set of disks sitting there waiting to be installed?

Clearing the Origin cache doesn't fix it either. Contacting EA is THE most pointless exercise I've done in decades (tried four times, and they just didn't/couldn't help).

I'm afraid to say that manually copying and extracting the files will take just as long as simply hitting the download button inside Origin...

Message 33 of 41 (1,270 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

1.  Be connected to the internet as usual.

2.  Log-in to your EA/Origin account.

3.  Insert ME3 disc.

4.  Start the install and wait until the Product Code ("CD-Key") has been validated via Origin and the (stupid) download starts.

5.  Pause/interrupt the download.

6.  Go "Off-Line"

7.  Disable/disconnect your network connection.

8.  Restart the install from disc.

9.  After the installation is complete, re-enable internet connection.

10. Log-in to EA/Origin again. 

Angel

Message 34 of 41 (1,266 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thanks Thandal,

but that doesn't work. Origin has one last surprise in stock for us and says "you must be online to install the game". 

I've done the download now and returned the disks. Origin is great, but the way it handles disk based installs is pretty much atrocious. If EA care so little about disk users, then they should stop friggin selling titles on disks.

Message 35 of 41 (1,261 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks sooo much!!!

Message 36 of 41 (1,132 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@versluis2000;  Well... worked for my son.  Dunno why it didn't work for you.

Message 37 of 41 (1,094 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Tried the method below but it didn't work. TC couldn't unpack the files Frown

So my issue, like others here, is that I bought the discs as I didn't want to download 10GB. I have a valid serial and the install discs (all brand new and sealed) but upon installing the game I was forced to install Origin. After Origin was installed I could continue with the game install. First I had to enter the serial and then the install stops. I can't rerun the installer because Origin says the key is already in use! This in itself is pretty silly as its the same PC! Do they think I am want to install the same game side by side on the same computer? Crazy. Anyway I spent forty minutes on the phone with Harsh at EA support but to no avail. If anyone can help me get  this that would be great!

I think its pitiful that EA/Origin can't sort this out. I mean, its been five years since the games release...

Tried to get help  directly from a game advisor at help.origin - but have not received a reply to my emails.

So 6 months after release this problem still has not been fixed and ea help are slow to respond to requests for new codes that will allow origin to recognise the dvd's to install.

I had to manually copy over the files from the discs using the steps below:

1. Start downloading Mass Effect 3 via Origin, pause the download and exit Origin.

2. Delete all files in the Mass Effect 3 subfolder of Origin's game install folder. By Default this is:

C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3

Also, delete all files in Origin's download cache C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache\[Your Email Address] and C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache\

3. Copy the file Mass Effect 3.z01 from disc 1 and Mass Effect 3.zip from disc 2 to a temporary location on your hard drive.

4. Extract these files to the Mass Effect 3 folder in Origin's game install directory. Default

C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3

(NOTE: Traditional unzipping software such as WinRAR or 7-zip may experience critical errors extracting these files. If this occurs, you can use a program called Total Commander to extract them. In Total Commander some error messages will appear, but these can be ignored)

5. Remove the read-only attribute to these files and folders (Right Click on the folder in Windows, select properties and uncheck the "Read-only" box).

6. Launch Origin and resume the download. A small download of approximately 60MB should start to fix missing or broken files. After this, Mass Effect 3 should be fully installed and working.

Once this is all done you then have to download the "Extended Cut" because they didn't get the ending right the first time.

Pathetic

Message 38 of 41 (997 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Player_ub4vle3r wrote:

... its been five years since the games release...

@Player_ub4vle3r;  And there's your answer. 

No one is going to invent time and effort into an issue for a five-year-old game that affects a tiny number of people when there is already a straight-forward way for the customer to work around the problem.  Your Product Code (CD-Key) is valid, so just download it.  Creating / using an Origin account for on-line registration / activation was always required for ME3, regardless of the installation channel.  And you'd have to download the patches, the EC and any DLC no matter what.

I'm not excusing or justifying the fact that the retail disc installation is borked.  Just sayin' it won't get fixed.

Message 39 of 41 (988 Views)

@Player_ub4vle3r

Did you try the method Thandal listed about 4 posts above your post??

And like he said, EA isn't going to waste time on a 5 year old game that works for most people and few have this issue with.  Most can just dl the game and be done.  If you don't want to have to dl any origin game you have previously downloaded and have access to either a USB drive or dvd burner you can save your origin games folder onto the backup media of choice and if you have to reinstall a game, you simply copy the files from the backup to your Origin destination folder, and then click install game.  Once Origin sees the game there already it will think a bit and then proceed with install without downloading.  I have done this to move games from one drive to another when upgrading, making it very easy to move install location....copy files, uninstall game(removes it from old location) and then change origin to install to new location and click install...poof game is back on computer, no DL needed and space freed on the old location drive.  This allowed me to move all my games from a 1TB hd to a 4TB hd in a fairly short period of time...will also allow you to move them on and off a SSD for play.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 40 of 41 (981 Views)