how do you install mass effect 3 from the disc?

by defr4g

Original Post

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Novice

Message 1 of 41 (29,292 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: how do you install mass effect 3 from the disc?

★★★★★ Novice

Tried to get help  directly from a game advisor at help.origin - but have not received a reply to my emails.

So 6 months after release this problem still has not been fixed and ea help are slow to respond to requests for new codes that will allow origin to recognise the dvd's to install.

I had to manually copy over the files from the discs using the steps below:

1. Start downloading Mass Effect 3 via Origin, pause the download and exit Origin.

2. Delete all files in the Mass Effect 3 subfolder of Origin's game install folder. By Default this is:

C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3

Also, delete all files in Origin's download cache C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache\[Your Email Address] and C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache\

3. Copy the file Mass Effect 3.z01 from disc 1 and Mass Effect 3.zip from disc 2 to a temporary location on your hard drive.

4. Extract these files to the Mass Effect 3 folder in Origin's game install directory. Default

(NOTE: Traditional unzipping software such as WinRAR or 7-zip may experience critical errors extracting these files. If this occurs, you can use a program called Total Commander to extract them. In Total Commander some error messages will appear, but these can be ignored)

5. Remove the read-only attribute to these files and folders (Right Click on the folder in Windows, select properties and uncheck the "Read-only" box).

6. Launch Origin and resume the download. A small download of approximately 60MB should start to fix missing or broken files. After this, Mass Effect 3 should be fully installed and working.

Once this is all done you then have to download the "Extended Cut" because they didn't get the ending right the first time.

Pathetic

View in thread

Message 8 of 41 (32,535 Views)

All Replies

There are instructions in this thread:

How do I install from disc without download?

SD Signature Banner

Message 2 of 41 (29,231 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply - I have tried what is said in that thread and it does not work. This can't be complicated, the files are sitting there on the disc...

Message 3 of 41 (29,231 Views)

★★★ Guide

If those instructions do not work, tell us what is going wrong.

What is the error message or condition?

Does setup launch?

Does it read the Disk?

Do you need administrator privileges?

Message 4 of 41 (29,222 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same problem. I posted in the other thread.

Message 5 of 41 (29,217 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

How do you contact a game advisor at help.origin?

Message 6 of 41 (29,208 Views)

★★★ Guide

https://help.ea.com/contact-us?product=mass-effect-3

Then you can have them Call, Live Chat, or E-mail.

Message 7 of 41 (29,205 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Tried to get help  directly from a game advisor at help.origin - but have not received a reply to my emails.

So 6 months after release this problem still has not been fixed and ea help are slow to respond to requests for new codes that will allow origin to recognise the dvd's to install.

I had to manually copy over the files from the discs using the steps below:

1. Start downloading Mass Effect 3 via Origin, pause the download and exit Origin.

2. Delete all files in the Mass Effect 3 subfolder of Origin's game install folder. By Default this is:

Also, delete all files in Origin's download cache C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache\[Your Email Address] and C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache\

3. Copy the file Mass Effect 3.z01 from disc 1 and Mass Effect 3.zip from disc 2 to a temporary location on your hard drive.

4. Extract these files to the Mass Effect 3 folder in Origin's game install directory. Default

(NOTE: Traditional unzipping software such as WinRAR or 7-zip may experience critical errors extracting these files. If this occurs, you can use a program called Total Commander to extract them. In Total Commander some error messages will appear, but these can be ignored)

5. Remove the read-only attribute to these files and folders (Right Click on the folder in Windows, select properties and uncheck the "Read-only" box).

6. Launch Origin and resume the download. A small download of approximately 60MB should start to fix missing or broken files. After this, Mass Effect 3 should be fully installed and working.

Once this is all done you then have to download the "Extended Cut" because they didn't get the ending right the first time.

Pathetic

Message 8 of 41 (32,536 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

No way I'll be doing all that to get the game to install from disc.  Game over for ME3 before it's even started.

Problem not solved.

Message 9 of 41 (29,041 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks so much defr4g finally able to play this game after getting it weeks ago

Message 10 of 41 (28,874 Views)