Re: Why is Mass Effect 3 DLC for the PC never discounted?

by ThandalNLyman

Original Post

Accepted Solution

deleted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

deleted

Message 1 of 13 (16,177 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice
Message 9 of 13 (18,068 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

★★★★★ Expert

You know you're just asking us, your fellow gamers, and not anybody at EA, right?

The basic reason is because PC players will pay the current prices to get the DLC they want. 

They seem to think it's worth it.  (I know I did.)

Message 2 of 13 (16,138 Views)

Hero

I believe Microsoft and PS3 have a hand in pricing on their respective consoles. EA publishes their own DLC on PC and decide to keep it high. I believe they make more money on DLC and micro-transactions than on the games themselves.

I paid full price for Leviathan and Citadel, which was worth it. I paid full price for Omega, which was definitely NOT worth it. Not that it's bad, it's just the worst monetized story DLC in the series, if you don't count Pinnacle Station, while also being the most expensive.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 13 (16,130 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Awwww now, Fred.  Aria T'Loak was one of my favourite NPCs, and having the chance to hear more of Carrie-Anne Moss playing the über-biotch was well worth it for me!

I don't compare DLC prices to that of the base games.  I compare them to the costs of other forms of entertainment.  By that measure, Omega was about the same as an evening out to see a first-run picture.  One I enjoyed and that had, (and continues to have) its great moments as I (re-)play it.

So we all make our choices on this very subjective topic.  Do I wish that EA would discount the DLC for PC games after a while?  Sure.  But if I were them... would I?  Probably not!  Confusedmileywink:

Message 4 of 13 (16,128 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice
deleted
Message 5 of 13 (16,119 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice
deleted
Message 6 of 13 (16,118 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

When Sony or MS, (or any other retailer; think Gamestop, or Amazon) decide to have a sale they can cut the price and still give EA the full amount they've contracted for.  Those sale prices don't reduce EA's profit.  Reducing the price on Origin does...

Message 7 of 13 (16,105 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@ThandalNLyman wrote:

I don't compare DLC prices to that of the base games. 

And I couldn't, because I mostly buy games for ridiculously low prices through Humble Bundles and Steam Sales. Each ME3 DLC pack is more expensive than what I usually pay for a full game, or sometimes even multiple games (for about five dollars, you could get Dead Space, Dead Space 3, Burnout Paradise, Crysis 2, The Sims 3, Battlefield 3, Mirror's Edge, Medal of Honor, Populous and Red Alert 3: Uprising from the Humble Bundle). Instead, I also applied the logic that €12 for a DLC is less than a basketball game, which is why I bought Omega. I don't regret it, I just don't think it's worth it when comparing it to other Mass Effect DLC.

And why do I pay a monthly subscription fee for Star Wars: The Old Republic? Because of the 'hide head slot' option. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 8 of 13 (16,099 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

deleted

Message 9 of 13 (18,069 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Your argument seems to boil down to "EA don't, or shouldn't, optimize their profits." 

My argument is that they do, and should.  So I guess we can agree to disagree.

If they would see increased profits from discounted DLC for the PC, they would do so.

They don't, and therefore they don't.  Unlike game players, the people running EA are business men and women.

Message 10 of 13 (16,086 Views)