Re: WASD movement keys stop working

by brian_ME

Original Post

Accepted Solution

WASD movement keys stop working

★★ Apprentice

I recently started a new run of ME3, I loaded a ME2 charater up and started the game. I soon found the WASD keys intermittently stopped working.

I'd be moving forward, but couldn't strafe using A or D, or I'd stop to click on something and found A and D worked but now W stopped responding. This made the Mars turret room rather challenging. I then found if I pressed the CTRL key (walk) I could then use the movement keys successfully.

I can;t very well play the whole game holding the CTRL key down, so this is making the game unplayable.

There is nothing wrong with my keyboard, and it doesn't happen in any other games. 

I'm running Windows 10, but have played the game several times previously with W10 and had no problems.

I've seen similar problems on this forum and tried the suggested fixes. I just recently reinstalled Origin (before I started up ME3) since I also got the Origin won't start bug after a patch.

I tried vrifying the files for the game in Origin, but that made no difference. I'm now reinstalling it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, if the install doesn't work?

Message 1 of 9 (10,226 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Apprentice

OK so this apparently had to do with my anti-virus. I can't explain why, but for some reason disabling it let me play the game properly.

View in thread

Message 4 of 9 (10,927 Views)

All Replies

★★ Apprentice

Install made no difference. If anything it's worse

Message 2 of 9 (10,161 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Still no resolution. It seems to be intermittent. One day it works, the next it stops working again. No rhyme or reason

Message 3 of 9 (10,138 Views)

★★ Apprentice

OK so this apparently had to do with my anti-virus. I can't explain why, but for some reason disabling it let me play the game properly.

Message 4 of 9 (10,928 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Press the ''shift'' key for 9 times consecutively. And you will solve the problem.

Message 5 of 9 (9,429 Views)

★ Novice

Hitting alt-W twice helped me. 

Message 6 of 9 (9,388 Views)

★ Novice

Ran into this problem on Windows 10 Pro.

Solution for me was to go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32 , right click on MassEffect3.exe, go to properties, and change compatibility mode to Windows 7, and check the box for "Run as Administrator".

Message 7 of 9 (6,329 Views)

★★ Novice

That is so strange sounding. I'm having the same problem - now in August of 2020. I'll try disabling my AV software.

Message 8 of 9 (5,923 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Try the other suggestions above, as well. Good luck!

Message 9 of 9 (5,913 Views)