Random Alt+Tab

by _Earsplit

Original Post

Re: Random Alt+Tab

★★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Anyway:

Mearasnz, no, it's not an issue with network software. I've had this same problem on two separate connections: one wireless and one hardline, each with a different ISP.

BioWareEQA, I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and I'm not finding any popup messages or things of the like on my desktop whenever this happens. I might try window mode and see if that helps.

Message 11 of 24 (3,864 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've been running the game in borderless window mode for a long time now, and I've seen no improvement. The issue persists.

Message 12 of 24 (3,834 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Do you by any chance use two monitors and an extended desktop? I've had this on occasion that my mouse cursor would skip to the other screen, especially in hectic situations where I would move very fast and to the edge of the screen. Somehow the cursor then would appear on the 2nd screen, even if only for a milisecond and thus trigger ME3 to become minimized - although I played in Fullscreen. Very annoying but I haven't found a fix apart from unplugging the 2nd monitor while playing.

Message 13 of 24 (3,831 Views)

★★★ Guide

@1ago wrote:

Do you by any chance use two monitors and an extended desktop? I've had this on occasion that my mouse cursor would skip to the other screen, especially in hectic situations where I would move very fast and to the edge of the screen. Somehow the cursor then would appear on the 2nd screen, even if only for a millisecond and thus trigger ME3 to become minimized - although I played in Fullscreen. Very annoying but I haven't found a fix apart from unplugging the 2nd monitor while playing.

1ago may be on to something, however, I have two monitors as an extended desktop and have not run into this issue.

I run Mass Effect in full screen mode and have yet to get the mouse to leave the Primary Monitor while it is running.  I have used alt + tab to get my mouse to the other screen to change the web browser page, or whatever handy notes I left on the other monitor.

I can assure you there have been many frantic scrolling, zooming, running around and the mouse has not rolled over to the other screen in Mass Effect 3.

Star Wars the Old Republic on the other hand, does allow the mouse to go over there and once I click on the browser, SWTOR then minimizes.

Message 14 of 24 (3,819 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I don't have this very often and didn't notice it until a few months ago. Maybe it got introduced with a recent driver update. I'm running a nvidia (560ti), so chances are it's only an issue with (certain) nvidia cards. I've noticed it in other games, too, like Starcraft 2, so at least the "mouse skipping to the 2nd monitor" in my case is not limited to ME3 and rather a driver bug than a bug of ME3.

Now that I think about it, I'm running a program called "Display Fusion" to enable some features that Windows 7 doesn't support for multi-monitor setups (like separate wallpapers for monitors with differing aspect-ratios). It may well be Display Fusion that's responsible. I'll try disabling it and see if I still get it

Message 15 of 24 (3,817 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

No, I'm on a laptop with no second display and no special display management settings and/or software.

Message 16 of 24 (3,810 Views)

★★ Pro

Ah, too bad - maybe a power-save feature kicking in - have you set the Laptop to "High Performance" while connected via charger? Any other power-management software maybe from the Laptop-Manufacturer?

Message 17 of 24 (3,804 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm on a custom power setting: while plugged in, dim the screen after 5 minutes of inactivity, never turn the screen off, and never put the computer to sleep.

Message 18 of 24 (3,796 Views)

★★ Pro

I'm afraid then I'm out of ideas. Does it happen with other games or programs?

Message 19 of 24 (3,791 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

No, it has only ever happened with Mass Effect 3.

In any case, I appreciate you taking the time to take look at this with me.

Message 20 of 24 (3,783 Views)