Re: [PC] Mass Effect 3: server is unavailable/unable to authorize the listed DLC

by holger1405

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PC] Mass Effect 3: server is unavailable/unable to authorize the listed DLC

★★★ Novice

Good day, everyone. I've encountered a seemingly common issue where you get an error screen on starting up Mass Effect 3. Unfortunately, cannot solve the issue despite trying a dozen or so solutions.

I own Mass Effect 3 and DLCs on PC. Bought them through Origin. Donwloaded and installed. When I launch the game I first get the "Error. The Mass Effect 3 server is unavailable at this time. Please try again later" message and then "Unable to authorize the listed DLC" [followed by the list of all DLCs] message. I've looked up multiple threads on Answers HQ and spoken to 5 different support representatives - to no avail. These are the solutions I've tried:

• Reinstalling
  • Reinstalling Origin
  • Clearing Origin cache
  • Starting Origin offline
  • Turning off connection entirely
  • Repairing game
  • Clean boot
  • Running as admin
  • Opening the ports
  • Flushing DNS
  • Using Ccleaner
  • Disabling Origin overlay
  • Changing Origin password
  • Turning off firewall
  • Adding Origin/game to exceptions

The only thing I so far haven't done is using a different network (I don't have access to any right now).

The only solution that half-works is binkw DLC fix. It removes "unable to authorize error screen" but only helps with part of the DLCs (From Ashes, Omega, Citadel, Leviathan, Alternate Appearance, EC) and doesn't do anything for multiplayer, N7 Collector's items, and "server unavailable" error. It's not the end of the world, but I would really like to have access to all the content without jumping through the hoops. But I'm frankly out of ideas and hoping some of you might help. 

Message 1 of 4 (1,051 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [PC] Mass Effect 3: server is unavailable/unable to authorize the listed DLC

★★★ Novice

@holger1405 

Thank you very much for taking time to reply to my post. Unfortunately, none of the solutions worked for me. 

However, I came up with the solution of my own. Of sorts. The last person I spoke with in support suggested I try connecting to a different network. I don't have any available, but then I had an idea to turn on data and create a hotspot on my smartphone. I did so, connected my PC to my smartphone hotspot, and launched ME3. The game finally managed to connect to the servers, it checked all DLCs, and I could see Galaxy at War screen on the startup menu. After loading an actual save, I could turn off the hotspot and connect to my usual network. All of the single-player DLCs and items appear in game just fine, it saves normally, and achievements appear as they should. It's not the most elegant solution; it's not going to help with the multiplayer (unless I wanted to waste all of my data), and I have to connect to hotspot everytime I launch the game, but it's a minor hiccup. 

So, Happy Holidays everyone. 

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (995 Views)

All Replies

@DameGrace 

Are you on a private network or a public (University) network?

Do you use a Proxy or VPN? > If so, please deactivate it.

Do you use special characters in your username or Email?

• Make sure your Windows Network is set to "Privat".
    • Restart your router in this way: Pull the power plug > wait 5 minutes > return the power plug
    • Unplug all USB storage devices > reboot > test.
    • Clear your Origin cache using this guide:
      All settings in Origin (only in Origin not in the games) are back to default settings after this.)
      - Close Origin completely. (right click on the Origin symbol in the task bar > close)
      - Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
      - Type or copy and paste "%ProgramData%/Origin" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
      - Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for the "LocalContent" folder.
      (The "LocalContent" folder must remain untouched.)
      - Move the "Mass Effect 3" folder from the "LocalContent" folder to your desktop.
      - Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
      - Type or copy and paste "%AppData%" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
      - Now your Windows explorer should have brought you to your "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Roaming" folder.
      - Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the "Roaming" folder.
      - In the address bar of your Windows explorer click on "AppData".
      - Open the "Local" folder.
      - Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the  "Local" folder.
      - Restart your PC. > test
    • Reset the Windows Socket (winsock reset)
    • shut down the real-time scanner of your antivirus software.. (just for testing purpose, don't forget to activate the antivirus software later on.)
      This ports must be open on your Router:
      Origin Ports
      TCP: 80; 443; 9960-9969; 1024-1124; 3216; 18000; 18120; 18060; 27900; 28910; 29900
      UDP: 1024-1124; 18000; 29900
      Me3:
      UDP 3659
    • Clearing your DNS cache. or testing a google DNS could also help.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 4 (1,021 Views)

★★★ Novice

@holger1405 

Thank you very much for taking time to reply to my post. Unfortunately, none of the solutions worked for me. 

However, I came up with the solution of my own. Of sorts. The last person I spoke with in support suggested I try connecting to a different network. I don't have any available, but then I had an idea to turn on data and create a hotspot on my smartphone. I did so, connected my PC to my smartphone hotspot, and launched ME3. The game finally managed to connect to the servers, it checked all DLCs, and I could see Galaxy at War screen on the startup menu. After loading an actual save, I could turn off the hotspot and connect to my usual network. All of the single-player DLCs and items appear in game just fine, it saves normally, and achievements appear as they should. It's not the most elegant solution; it's not going to help with the multiplayer (unless I wanted to waste all of my data), and I have to connect to hotspot everytime I launch the game, but it's a minor hiccup. 

So, Happy Holidays everyone. 

Message 3 of 4 (996 Views)
Highlighted

@DameGrace 

Well, actually it is, I suggested that more than one time at complicated connection issues. Wink

Tipp, if you sett Origin to offline mode the game should work as well with all the DLCs. So you don't need to connect every time you play.

You also might want to give your ISP a call after all this troubleshooting did not worked.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 4 (982 Views)