Origin violates the "Origin in-game setting" for ME3 (Steam game)

by 29201st

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin violates the "Origin in-game setting" for ME3 (Steam game)

★★ Apprentice

Hi,

the title says it. I have origin in-game setting disabled globally and also for the steam version of ME3 in origin (screenshots attached).

I investigated as much as I could and found out that the most likely reason is Origin's "EASteamProxy.exe" which is found inside the Origin installation directory. This executable loads the "IGO32.dll" file (inside the Origin installation directory) and enables the "IGO" (Origin in-game) without even checking if the user has it disabled or not.

This is not a Steam problem but an Origin problem because:

1. EASteamProxy.exe is an Origin process

2. Steam launches the game using an API provided by EA/Origin. Here is the relevant call hierarchy:

F:\Origin\EALink.exe" "link2ea://launchgame/1238020?platform=steam&theme=me3" ""

F:\Origin\Origin.exe "origin2://game/launch?firstPartyAppId=1238020&platform=steam&authCode=[REMOVED DUE TO PUBLIC POST]"

F:\Origin\EASteamProxy.exe "G:\GameInstalled\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Mass Effect 3\binaries\Win32\MassEffect3.exe"

The Origin client log file shows how the behavior of Origin is different when launching ME3 from Steam.

Origin client log file usually under: "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Origin\Logs\Client_Log.txt"

For the Steam version one can see the following log statement which indicates that Origin in-game was activated:

Event      Origin::Engine::Content::LocalContent::launchStep2      6416       IGO enabled for DR:230773600

For the pure Origin ME3 version or any other pure Origin game the logging is something like this:

Event      Origin::Engine::Content::LocalContent::launchStep2     16312     IGO disabled for OFB-EAST:49753

Please correct this behavior otherwise the Origin setting for "enable/disable Origin in-game" is completely useless for EA Steam games (not to mention that people complaining about FPS drops due to in-game overlay in ME3).

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6 (2,519 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin violates the "Origin in-game setting" for ME3 (Steam game)

★★ Apprentice

It seems they fixed this issue. Now origin respects the setting and disables Origin In-Game for ME3 on Steam too.

Logging:

Origin::Engine::Content::LocalContent::launchStep2      6340       IGO API disabled for DR:230773600

Before it was

Origin::Engine::Content::LocalContent::launchStep2      6416       IGO enabled for DR:230773600

Wink

View in thread

Message 6 of 6 (1,904 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thank you for providing some technical details. It's annoying to see it being dismissed as a Steam issue. I'm waiting for a fix too, this post needs all the visibility it can get.

By the way, this applies to ALL Origin games launched via Steam; regardless of performance issues, it is unacceptable for user settings to be ignored like that.

Message 2 of 6 (2,409 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@29201st I wonder if IGO32.dll file can be safely deleted or not.
Message 3 of 6 (2,378 Views)

★★ Novice

@kron1234554321 wrote:
@29201stI wonder if IGO32.dll file can be safely deleted or not.

Unfortunately it can't, Origin won't start without it.

Message 4 of 6 (2,349 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

True Origin and EASteamProxy.exe won't even start. I have also tried the following:

Allowed initially Steam to install the OriginThinClient (although I had Origin installed..) then uninstalled Origin then uninstalled ME3 (and manually removed any Origin folders on the system). Afterwards I installed the Origin client from EA (not the ThinClient) and reconfigured Steam to disable installation of the ThinClient. ME installed just fine but still in-game overlay was forced by the Origin client from EA (it does not have anything to do with the ThinClient).

To reconfigure Steam to not use the ThinClient (upon initial installation of the game via Steam) either delete it from the game folder or modify the ME3 Steam installScript.vdf file (do this only if you know what you are doing because Steam will detect that the file has been modified and not execute the Registry commands Wink ).

Message 5 of 6 (2,319 Views)

★★ Apprentice

It seems they fixed this issue. Now origin respects the setting and disables Origin In-Game for ME3 on Steam too.

Logging:

Origin::Engine::Content::LocalContent::launchStep2      6340       IGO API disabled for DR:230773600

Before it was

Origin::Engine::Content::LocalContent::launchStep2      6416       IGO enabled for DR:230773600

Wink

Message 6 of 6 (1,905 Views)