Origin Won't Let Me Install Mass Effect 3 From The Disc!

by cowanny

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin Won't Let Me Install Mass Effect 3 From The Disc!

★★★ Newbie

I recently purchased the Mass Effect Troligy, and so I used the product code to activate all three games, allowing me to install them. However, when I try to install Mass Effect 3, it asks for the product code (this didn't happen with 1 and 2). So I entered the code but it tells me that the code is already in use and so  I cannot install the game. It will allow me to download it but I really don't want to do that.

Can anybody help me or has this happened to anybody else?

Help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Message 1 of 44 (13,446 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin Won't Let Me Install Mass Effect 3 From The Disc!

Community Manager (retired)

This is a known issue. We are currently working towards a fix.

View in thread

Message 3 of 44 (13,910 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Apprentice

@cowanny wrote:

I recently purchased the Mass Effect Troligy, and so I used the product code to activate all three games, allowing me to install them. However, when I try to install Mass Effect 3, it asks for the product code (this didn't happen with 1 and 2). So I entered the code but it tells me that the code is already in use and so  I cannot install the game. It will allow me to download it but I really don't want to do that.

Can anybody help me or has this happened to anybody else?

Help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I am having this problem also -- I used the code to activate the trilogy.  1 and 2 installed fine, but when I try to install 3, it wants another code and says the one I have has already been used.  Mass Effect 3 is listed in my games library, but the stupid installer will NOT install the game.  Any answers??

Message 2 of 44 (13,379 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

This is a known issue. We are currently working towards a fix.

Message 3 of 44 (13,911 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey there,

I have bought Mass Effect trilogy yesterday... With the same problem of DVD install. Maybe my story will help you to fix this Standard smile

I hate services like steam (Origin counts as well) and I never installed one (and never wanted to). When I realized ME3 needs Origin to be played, it was really unhappy moment... but fine, the game is really great. I will get it, only for installing game and then remove/disable or at least won't use it (I thought).

Heh, after Origin installation (in fact it was 2nd installation, because of some unknown error of first install) it asked me to register... ah man (for info, I don't have facebook, I don't like any of theese services...) I have bought a SINGLEPLAYER games for a reason... (I know there's some multi there) - I don't want ppl look for me at "Origin/Steam/Facebook/Any-Other-Service-Like-This". Luckily, there is pretty nice settings in origin to hide myself (at least - thanks).

Origin then took me to "Installation" of ME3. "Give us a code" and other typical things... It registered my 3 games to my account (thats fine). Then? Nothing. No Installation process started, nothing. Great, so I started fooling around, clicked ME3 icon - there was "Downloading" button there (in my language it was pretty missleading). First time I tried to start installation from the disc again (setup.exe) - the process I have already seen has started. Last step, insert the code failed (obviously because I have already redeemed that code... and see it under ME3 icon). After few other similar tries I clicked "Downloading" magic button with a simple thought in my mind: Well, they translated it strangely, it means "Install from the disc, if you have one".

Bang! No way, it started downloading ~10GB of data from the net. I didn't believe my own eyes. Well, let's look at dvd for some help/support and into the box for some paper-manual. Ye... those two were filled with "newbie how-to-s" like "put your disc in dvd and if it won't load itself, start D:/setup.exe"... I'm glad it's there for less skilled but... aarrgghhh... [BTW: time was running, it wasn't really installation i thought it will be]

OK, so I started googling and that's pretty shame because I have installed hundreds, maybe thousands of games already... frequently in complicated ways. After a few minutes I found tons of posts on forums and even some blogs about this horrible installation flaw (and flames about Origin as well). Some "workarounds" included. In fact these workarounds are only "luck-hunting" fakes... nothing constructively thought about. "Start this, then turn it off, then turn it on again, then start that and shut that first thing down again..." oh my.

I tried:

1) install Origin, shutdown origin, restart, (2nd time restart machine), setup.exe - no way.

2) start origin download, shutdown origin, extract install files from DVD into installation folder of origin, restart origin and install was on 99%.

- didn't work either. I got on 99%, then just a message box "Download failed" (or similar) appeared, no help, no message why and what to do next...

- I imagined, what if I download all the ~10GB of data from Internet and after that (99%) I find "Download failed" message as well?!! Origin had to be kidding me, right?

3) start game right from extracted installation (game settings worked well), me3.exe not - it started *ORIGIN* again and failed.

My next surprise was that I will need Origin to run the games! Ugh? Alright, I can already hear all these anti-piracy talks... If I want to pirate the game, this will never stop me. I just hope there are no more hiccups with Origin - as I said. I hate these things. If it ONCE jump out of tray and do something... I will pirate the game and be happy with it (sorry Bioware, sorry EA). So I ended up with Origin installed forever, surely asking me all the time for updates - all my life with this PC. Great. I just hope the game won't run without connection, am I right? (I didn't try yet and I'm really scared now).

After all this I gave up. I returned my brand new DVDs back to box and started ME3 dowload.

It downloaded 10 193 MB of ME3 + 1,4MB of some trilogy bonus content + 1 830MB extended cut. No questions, no selection of what do I want. I wanted the game only. After completing it, maybe I download some additions/extensions... what's this? I want to play raw game as developers made it for the first time. Then slowly upgrade.

Today morning it seems to be installed. I just hope it works flawlessly now.

The only right way to install from DVDs (imho) is that you: do NOT enter any game code anywhere... install Origin, update origin, restart computer (to be sure), start setup exe from DVD and then enter a game key. Possibly even this won't work - if so, then NOBODY at origin "testing team" could have ever tested to install this game from disc.

Sorry for all that hate but... this is really bad.

Good luck to everyone who try and nerves of steel to everyone who download...

Message 4 of 44 (13,333 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Can someone help with this issue? Download is not an option for me due to bad connection.

Message 5 of 44 (13,326 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is a top priority problem, please fix with most haste.

Seriously, please understand people go buy disc for a reason, and the download in terms of GBs is not an option for me.

Message 6 of 44 (13,318 Views)

★★★ Newbie

SO when is this gonna be fixed it the 20th and still no fix I tried to play ME3 today and its asking for a activision code out of no where its already and should be on my list of games and for some reason it isn't. And my Product code isn't working saying it's being used. Get your head out your ass and do your job please. Some people don't have all day to wait around for you to fix your crappy origin!

Message 7 of 44 (13,204 Views)

★★★ Newbie

EA

You have now had over 6 months to fix this bug ridden software. When can the paying customer expect to get what they have paid for?

Message 8 of 44 (12,981 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

This has a shortcut to "problem solved" but it's not solved unless you consider downloading the whole game a solution, The shortcut just takes you in a loop so STOP LYING & fix the problem.

Message 9 of 44 (12,949 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

still not fixed, very annoying bug

Message 10 of 44 (12,728 Views)