Re: Mass effect 2 and 3 no sound

by rumbutter

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass effect 2 and 3 no sound

★★ Novice

I need a some help i recently purchased mass effect 2 and 3. As soon i start them up i found to my dismay that there was absolutely no sound in the games what so ever. I have tried alot of quick fixes and even some more advanced fixes and nothing seems to work. my specs are as follows 

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz Manufacturer Intel Speed 3.6 GHz Number of Cores 4 CPU ID BFEBFBFF000206D7 Family 06 Model 2D Stepping 7 Revision   Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Manufacturer NVIDIA Chipset GeForce GTX 980 Ti Dedicated Memory 6144 MB Total Memory 6144 MB Pixel Shader Version 5.1 Vertex Shader Version 5.1 Hardware T & L Yes Vendor ID 10DE Device ID 17C8 Plug and Play ID VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8&SUBSYS_36B61458&REV_A1 Driver Version 10.18.13.6143 Memory 32 GB Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10240), 64-bit Service Pack 0 Size 64 Bit Edition   Version 10.0.10240 Locale 0409 BIOS   Version American Megatrends Inc. F7 Manufacturer   Date 03/19/14 Display Maximum Resolution 1360 x 768 Sound Device 1 ASUS Xonar DS Audio Device Driver Version 6.12.8.1768 Sound Device 2 High Definition Audio Device Driver Version 10.0.10240.16384 Sound Device 3 NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) Driver Version 1.2.31.0 Sound Device 4 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Driver Version 1.3.34.4 DVD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB CD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB Drive 1   Size 1.8 TB Free 1.2 TB Drive 2   Size 465.6 GB Free 357.1 GB Drive 3   Size 111.4 GB Free 5.3 GB Browsers   Internet Explorer 11.0.10240.16603 Chrome 47.0.2526.106 Firefox 39.0 Safari  

Software   Java   Flash 20.0.0.267 DirectX 11.0 .NET 3.5.30729.4926 QuickTime   Adobe PDF Reader

any help would be awesome though alot of the basic fixes have already been tried

Message 1 of 19 (28,399 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

I solved the issue yesterday it ended up being a weird compatibility issue where i had to run the program as an administrator and change both the launcher and exe file to run in windows 7 mode. This fixed the entire issue and now the game was sound and is running beautifully

View in thread

Message 5 of 19 (31,713 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@ZetajacetheGod

moved to ME forums

@Fred_vdp   or @EA_David  please and thank you in advance

Message 2 of 19 (28,352 Views)

★★ Novice

did i post it in the wrong area?

Message 3 of 19 (28,340 Views)

Community Manager

@ZetajacetheGod I suspect so, but I can't see the original location without some time-intensive log scanning. In any case you're in the right place now. Standard smile

Do you encounter any sound issues with any other games?

Can you try starting either game in Windowed mode then click on the speaker icon in the system tray for Windows? Click Mixer then please check if there's a channel for the running game. 

If one is present, can you check that its volume is set high enough to be detectable? It's also worth checking if there is a visual representation of the sound from that channel. If it's playing sound a bar should appear and move rapidly. 

If the channel is missing I suspect it's trying to output using another device. Back in Mixer can you check if there's a drop-down arrow near speakers, and if there is, please check the alternate output methods for the game's sound channel as before. 

If it shows up on the other output device we're making progress. We'll start with Mass Effect 3. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries -or whereever your game is installed- within Windows and run MassEffect3Config.exe.

Checking the Sound tab there should be a list of sound devices to use, and an option to configure them. With these options you should hopefully be able to get the sound up and running. There's also an Audio tab with an on/off option for sound, but I see no reason why this shouldn't be defaulted to "on".

For ME2 the process is the same, you can find the MassEffect2Config.exe at C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries by default. 

Hopefully this info is useful, please let us know how you get on. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 19 (28,328 Views)

★★ Novice

I solved the issue yesterday it ended up being a weird compatibility issue where i had to run the program as an administrator and change both the launcher and exe file to run in windows 7 mode. This fixed the entire issue and now the game was sound and is running beautifully

Message 5 of 19 (31,714 Views)

Community Manager

@ZetajacetheGod Splendid, thanks for coming back with the update. 

I'll bear this in mind if we see folks reporting similar issues in future. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 19 (28,313 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@EA_David 

I've had similiar issues, and followed the instructions up until the sound mixer where i noticed there was an icon for Mass Effect 3 but no visual representation of sound being played

Message 7 of 19 (28,262 Views)

★★ Novice

Was there ever a definite fix for this problem? I am dealing with it now and no one from Origin support was able to help me.

Message 8 of 19 (27,134 Views)

@SassMasterStark

This is most probably not a problem with the game but a problem on your system.

Still, try to repair the game. (in Origin > Game Library > right click ME2/3 > Repair)

If that don't helps, preform a clean boot and test the Games afterwards.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 9 of 19 (27,072 Views)

★★ Novice

I am currently having this problem for ME2. I am currently playing through the game without sound :P

I have tried what was suggested here, I have Uninstalled/Reinstalled 4 times, Repaired several times, Changed audio settings, ran as administrator, Changed computer sound settings, tried playing through different speakers, set back hardware drivers, gone back to windows 8 tried the game and still no sound, gone back to windows 10 and still no sound, tried opening through origin, tried opening from the file location. None of these have worked.

I have put in ~12 hours into the game and have not heard a single sound. This is my first mass effect game I have ever played. I havent even watched a video on it. I have 100% no idea what the game sounds like. At this point I am in it for the long haul. Ill beat the game without ever hearing a sound.

Message 10 of 19 (26,091 Views)