Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster

by GrimReaperTaken

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster

★ Guide

I'm back and just extending my own thoughts here. Finally finished my replay of the trilogy (and excited to play again if the remaster rumours are true) and honestly i refined my previous thoughts on the alliance, cerberus, geth influencing the 3 endings. 

I still don't think the ending was bad by any means, it demonstrated the overwhelming power of the reapers, the hopelessness of the situation, all of it. There were limited ways to 'win' and honestly it would have been easier for us to lose and for ME4 to just be the next cycle where some humans hid, survived and rebuilt.

still after refreshing my knowledge of the end game im left wondering what could have been. So ME3 came out 2012 and witcher 3 came out 2015 and i must say the witcher 3 was a masterpiece. The multiple endings that you couldnt actively choose, that were decided by which missions you copmpleted, what decisions you made, who died, all of it. I wonder if that could have been implemented in mass effect, with the idea being that if you spend the whole trilogy (or just ME3) supporting alliances between organics and synthetics you would get the synthesis ending, if you destroy synthetics and wipe out the geth you get the destruction of the reapers ending and if you are a * and constantly tell edi not to get any ideas and to do her job and just generally be a * to ai (but dont wipe them out) then you get control.

i feel like i might have liked that ending a little better if i didnt have to choose one of three endings but my actions caused 1 of 3. Of course there was also the ending where you shot the ai and he was like 'so be it' and the reapers win the war. in which case if you didnt do enough side missions or had a weak force you would get the ending where you lost the war. 

If anyone sees this lemme know thoughts :D i know it wont be changed, just wondering if it would have fit in with the trilogy. 

Message 11 of 20 (942 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

A remaster is in the works because things were leaked back in july and because of the leak EA is being tightlipped about it and also in the middle of releasing a remastered edition of KOA:Reckoning!

(Edited by Holger1405: oversized text removed.)

Message 12 of 20 (827 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Darthvader99076  (and others);

Remember, a "remaster" doesn't necessarily mean any changes to the games' contents (stories, options, OR bugs.) It just means they should be able to make (better) use of more modern hardware than when they were first released, i.e. leveraging the capabilities of current GPUs and CPUs, including those found in the console platforms.

I'm certainly not expecting anything more...

[EDIT:  Fixed typos.]

Message 13 of 20 (821 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

How very cynical. You obviously do not have much faith in EA anymore after the last ten years of negativity. Behind this profile is a veteran gamer and I might be a "newbie" but have seen how people treat the FNGS,greenhorns or whatever you want to call them. The new player s do not get the respect they deserve and are trounced on and constantly being harrased by other gamers and can't even win one match without being killed multiple times and can't even get one shot off before being killed. If you actually want proof gooogle kingdom of amalur re-reckoning and that is all the proof right there!

Message 14 of 20 (805 Views)

★ Guide

Yeaaaah but for those of us who replay Mass Effect every year the games running better on modern hardware is already a win. On top of that if it looks better that is 2 wins annnnnnd if they fix all the annoying things about the DLC, namely there being like 60 of them and being a pain to install individiaully thats 3 wins in a row in my book :P 

Basically, I don't really care if they change the story a little, i just wanna play the games i love and have them look/run as well as my nostalgia tells me they looked/ran when i was younger xD

Message 15 of 20 (789 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Honestly Mass Effect is still one of my favorite games. Sure it's not perfect and the graphics are getting kinda old (thought there is DAO which looks even worse but is still a great game).
So is a remaster absolutely necessary as of now ? No, the games are playable, the graphics are ranging from "bad but okay" to "actually still relatively good looking" and the bugs are minor (well the ones I encountered at least).

Do I want a remaster ? Of course I do. The reasons are various and there are so many ways a remaster might make the games so much better so let's start with what we will probably get :

- Better graphics

- Controller support (it's more than probable that they would implement it)

- Games + dlc package (not separate, I doubt they would take the risk to face backlash from selling the dlcs appart from the main games).

- Games running better on all platform.

This is basically what you might think you'll get if you have absolutely no faith in Bioware and EA something closer to a port to this gen (or next-gen) consoles and computer and better graphics.

What could make this remaster a success ? Well, they will have most of the ME community looking forward even for a simple port but if they want people to buy the games ? They might want to give us more something like

- Fixing the Mako

- Giving us secondary content that was cut at first

- Gameplay fix (maybe even go the extra step and make it similar to ME3)

- Bug fixes (well we know new ones will probably appear but at least the old ones should be fixed).

I am probably forgetting a couple more things that they can do without putting to much effort into it and that would push players to want to buy their remaster. Then of course we have the "what would make old players definitely buy a remaster of the game and would bring new players in" and that kinda varies a lot depending on who you are talking to. And most of the answers would probably just be wishful thinjing (kinda like wishing they'd change the ending). But I'll try and make a list or at least say what I would love to see but don't necesseraly think would be doable.

- Exclusive new content. Not only bringng the cut content but a couple more lines for some romances making flirt options with garrus or Tali in the first game might be a good idea. One on one conversations with some crewmembers (I still want to know more about Kasumi). That might be a nice touch.

- Changing the ending. Well not really changing it, I'd like to change it completely because it does not feel like a real ending to me but it would be nice to have a different approach to the ending something like GrimReaper suggested similar to the Witcher 3 system wich would take your conversations (key ones at least) and choices through the game to "decide" wich ending will play. That would still be better than the one we had and feel more like your choices matter.

Actually I think that's all (well for me). Now I think we could get all of that depending on a couple of things like how long they have been working on this remaster, the size of their team, why they are doing it (I mean if it's mostly for money I'll only expect the bare minimum), and the thoughts they put in it (like what should we do/what can we do/what do the players want/what are we going to do).

All of that being said, I am looking forward to this remaster and hoping they don't disappoint. I mean if it's to do a bad job at remastering the game, they would do better to leave it be

Message 16 of 20 (2,128 Views)

★ Guide

Nailed it as always :P I accepted the solution cause i was curious what that button does (and you pretty much nailed my thoughts), it seems to have given your response a tick, was that the only change? what did it do?

Dragon age thing first, which one is DAO, the first? 

Agreed on the bugs and graphics, the biggest drive for a remaster IMO is the gameplay, its clunky in 1 and to an extent in 2. 

When you say controller support, this makes me think you are a pc player primarily and this support is for controllers on the pc version? 
The dlc being seperate was a confusing and frustrating decision even when the games were released, by modern standards that would be roassssted in a remaster.

Some of the things you suggested might get people to buy the remaster, the cut content and upgrading content more like ME3 were apparantly leaked too but of course, these are links not confirmed so grain of salt :P

Finally the ending being like witcher, i looove the idea of cutscenes being added sliiiightly altering the endings based on your decisions (showing characters you interacted with and whatnot) but as much as i want it i can't see an old game being changed, at best a new one might play around with it

Message 17 of 20 (740 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Not sure about the always but I do try my best Standard smile If I remember correctly, it gives my answer a tick to show it is the solution that helped you and it will show on the first page of the post just after your question to be read more easily. Apart from that pretty sure there is nothing else the accepted solution does (well and tell me one of my answers was accepted as a solution).

DAO is short for Dragon Age Origin so yes the first wich explains why the graphic is so well... old today.

Yep, I'm playing on pc and basicaly controller support will be to be able to play on pc with a controller.

I didn't have a problem with installing the dlcs I guess it is easier to do on computer than on console it seems they either install themselves automatically when I install the game or were pretty easy to find on origin and to start downloading and then installing.

Yeah for now I don't even trust there is a remaster in the work. Like, sure I'd love that but the lack of advertisement ? I find it incredibly hard to believe they would not have started teasing us with some "Discover the updated Citadel" sequence or whatever. Yeah sure there is some kind of teasing on social media but I find it hard to believe they would not advertise that kind of remaster. Yeah sure they aren't the best at advertising their games (like I still think Andromeda could have been advertise in a better way) but it has been close to 5 months if memory serves right and still no word from EA nor Bioware to tell us it is happening, we should simply be patient.

I mean I want to believe the game will be launched by March next year but... until it is confirmed I am most certainly not putting any trust in it happening.

It is doubtful they would change the ending in any way. Thought they kinda have a different endings like the witcher. Not in the dialogues or actions with Ciri but in the different cutscenes depending on your choices. Like the Quarians not wearing the face of their helmet if they are allied to geth and you did not chose to destroy all synth or baby Krogan if you cured them for real. And some of your friends from the past game like Zaeed. I mean it was a nice touch we just did not get any detail just images. And it sure does not go to the extend the Witcher got.
Speaking on different endings if I remember you have DAO who has quite a lot of different endings depending mostly on how you handled the main quests (I don't remember anything close to the Radovid missions in a sidequest having qiute the impact).
But again, I don't see them touching the ending being by changing it altogether or simply by "improving" it with more "effect" from you choices

Message 18 of 20 (723 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Darthvader99076;  Not quite sure what you point is.  As a huge DA- and ME-series fanboi, I replay them all (yes, all) at least one a year.  I was one of the players who beta-tested the last DAO patch, (1.05) and have had personal correspondence with senior BioWare staff.

All that to say... I think I have a realistic understanding of the level of resources they are likely to allocate for a "remaster" of a decade-old series, and I don't believe paying for new content is very likely.  Simply the engineering changes to allow the existing content to run better on today's gear.

And I'll certainly buy that remastered version if/when it comes out.  After all, I purchased three versions of DAO! 

Message 19 of 20 (666 Views)

★ Guide

Hey, existing content running smoother on current gear is pretty amazing though and im happy with it.

i can finally get my best mate to play the whole trilogy. as a playstation fan he only played me2 and 3. 1 wasnt on the playstation at launch so if the full trilogy comes the playstation fans at least get to see 'new content' in a way :P

Message 20 of 20 (634 Views)