Re: Mass Effect 3 will not launch

by historywiz

Original Post

Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

Motherboard cpu and memory is what I changed in the PC then with the aide of Microsoft got windows 10 re-activated since the 10240 build doesn't have the troubleshooter. A clean installation of windows 10 is not a option it would take weeks and even months to get every game that I have on my PC back on it to put it in perspective to download Mass Effect Andromeda it took 3 days would of taken longer if I had not left my PC on all night GTA 5 it took 9 days to download that is how crappy my internet is. Or are you saying that I should attempt to update Windows 10 with the creation tool and keep my files? I also tried moving the Mass Effect 3 folder out of documents bioware and it still didn't run. I am not the most tech savy of people tampering with disc partitions is a thing I prefer not to touch as I could f up and kill the PC for good also it often requires tools that are expensive to buy and I do not have allot of money to spend on it. It seems very odd that Mass Effect 3 is the only game that has this issue.

Message 11 of 29 (1,331 Views)

★★★ Novice

if you changed out the dll files, change them back before moving the document\Bioware\Mass Effect3 file to desktop. that's how I got mine to work. Also make sure that cloud saves is disabled and that in game is turned off

Message 12 of 29 (1,313 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Did everything you stated already...hence.. I've done everything.

Masters in Electrical Engineering, Bachelors in Physics..

Torrenting the game works perfect...buy it? Can't play.

Message 13 of 29 (1,309 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@holger1405

I took a look at the drive partitions since you pointed out that my updating windows 10 issue may of been from its system reserved partition not being large enough for the update to install it was only 100mb in size. I fortunately found a program that was free and safe to use that allows partition creation adjusting their sizes and the ability to delete them too so I took a little of the free space from the recovery partition that is big enough to house the recovery data so I took enough off to make the reserve partition just over 500mb in size I tried the update assistant just this morning while I was doing house chores it downloaded the update fine but did revert back when installing it at about 25% like the times before even though it does not pop up a error message anywhere saying what the issue is that causes the update to revert back to 10240 I certainly hope when I try the update again that it will work just as much as you where shocked that I was still using 10240 I am kind of sick of things not working because I cannot update windows 10 part of my upgrading my PC with very modern parts other than to get Mass Effect Andromeda to work it was in hope to update windows 10 to its current build most recent build. To anyone that reads this reply if you are having issues with Andromeda not launching properly it just comes up with a black window and nothing happens and you have a dual core pc its because the dual core is not enough to run the game it needs a quad core cpu I am not certain of this but that was the case with my PC. The little fool the game into thinking your PC is a quad core but isn't trick only works to get to the main menu start the game and it will crash before the first cut scene finishes. Anyways I did update the graphics drivers before I tried launching Mass Effect 3 two days ago it ran but it caused hardware failure errors 2 of them and then a blue screen that it was so fast that it didn't actually show the blue screen before rebooting but the reliability app said it was a blue screen and it was after that Mass Effect 3 hasn't ran at all and this problem occurred multiple times with the Awc.dll being a faulty application path. But like you said that Microsoft has changed some things with windows 10 that mine doesn't use currently like drivers that the graphics one is using the structure just seems strange that it only happens with Mass Effect 3 though?       

Message 14 of 29 (1,301 Views)

★★★ Novice

One of the things I noticed was that the win 10 firewall was not letting the game through and I had to manually go in to permit the app.

Message 15 of 29 (1,288 Views)

@historywiz

It is possible that the culprit is not build 10240 if other games run flawless. But there are only few troubleshooting steps left at this point, and you said it yourself, you need to address the Windows problem anyway. (every failed update attempt is a risk for your system.)

I would suggest you get yourself a 1TB USB Hard drive. (Or an internal 1TB hard drive if that is easier for you) This way you can back up your Important data and all the games, so that you won't have to download them again. Here is a guide for Origin, and here one for Steam. Other gaming clients work in a similar way.

In the light of your bad internet connection and the update problem is this something you should do anyway, otherwise you will need to download them again after your current hard-drive dies or something else happens to your system.

After you backed up everting you can preform a clean installation of build 1703 from and DVD drive or an USB stick.

I am also fairly certain that ME3 will run again afterwards. (And if not the troubleshooting will be much easier.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 16 of 29 (1,279 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@holger1405

I'll keep that in mind I plan to get SSD or something like that just to hold the OS sometime in the future and get a bigger capacity hard drive it is a 1tb right now and only about 300 gb or more is left. I don't have a DVD copy of windows 10 to use but also plan to get a copy just in case I have to re install windows on a new drive in the case the drive dies. Also I might get the bigger hard drive and then migrate the games to that so in any case the old HDD which is 7 years old right now dies the games will be on a separate drive. Something to put on the Christmas list for sure. I do play a few online games SWTOR or Armored Warfare I wonder if it is possible to move them as well? But if I can get it to update it might work if it doesn't I will consider the clean install in some form.   

Message 17 of 29 (1,270 Views)

[ Edited ]

@historywiz

You can create a DVD or USB Windows 10 installation medium with the Media Creation tool. Just read the instructions carefully.

As for the online games, the backup and restore funktion will work for all games. The installer will download a few updated files but that's it.

If you preform a additional back up of the Game specific directory's under "Documents" (Not all games have them, but a lot do) you will have your save games and settings backed up as well.  

Edit: In regards to the Mass Effect Problem, did you tried the clean boot?

If so pleas create a second Windows user account, (Administrator) > reboot > log on to the new account and try the game there. 

@Tripinn

Without specific information about your system and what you already tried it is not possible to help you.

So if you are interested, create a DxDiag in text file format, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER and look if it has ME3 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up together with the DxDiag. You can do that with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 18 of 29 (1,262 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Strangely enough that I tried it today it didn't work but it didn't leave any error report either it didn't even work when I tried launching the game directly from the MassEffect3 exe its like its all of a sudden not compatible with windows 10 or something. It doesn't even appear in the task manager when I launch it. attached is the dxdiag file. Also included in the reply is the error report for some reason it wouldn't show up as a attached document when I tried to attach it.

Source
Mass Effect(TM) 3

Summary
Stopped working

Date
8/29/2017 9:46 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\MassEffect3.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MassEffect3.exe
Application Version: 1.5.5427.124
Application Timestamp: 50d4cab0
Fault Module Name: awc.dll
Fault Module Version: 3.2.4.6
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ee2521d
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000806b7
OS Version: 10.0.10240.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: bdcb
Additional Information 2: bdcb33e65a9843796b7ec31cc25bda3b
Additional Information 3: fbaf
Additional Information 4: fbafbd162d6bfb74eaa9498402e8a901

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: f0fc9d669d152760915589884ee66cb6 (-886586210)

Message 19 of 29 (1,246 Views)

@historywiz

So you tried both, the clean boot and the new user account?

Message 20 of 29 (1,215 Views)