Re: Mass Effect 3 will not launch

by Holger1405

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 3 will not launch

★★★ Novice

I last played ME3 on 5/14/17, no problems but now I try to play and the icon appears on the task bar the screen blacks and then it pops back to the Origin play screen. I have checked permissions, Origin is in admin run, in game is off,tried it turning off all firewalls, still nothing. I am running win 10 on a home computer that is essentially new, purchased in Jan. It plays everything except this game. Please help, no answers on forum have worked

Message 1 of 29 (8,239 Views)

Accepted Solution

@momgames

Did you tried to repair the game? (in Origin > Game Library > right click ME3 > Repair)

If so, what else did you try?

If you haven't done so already, try this:

- Close Origin. (right click at the Task Bar icon > Exit)

- Go here and download the two DLLs.

- Navigate to ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\Core" folder and rename the "awc.dll" and the "EACore.dll" to "old_awc.dll" and "Old_EACore.dll"

- Move the new "awc.dll" and "EACore.dll" files from the place you saved them into the directory listed above.

- Test the Game.

If that don't helps:

- Disable "Origin in Game" and "Cloud Saves" in Origin.

- Close Origin.

- move the "Mass Effect 3"  folder from your "Documents\Bioware" folder to your desktop.

- Start Origin Test the game.

@Tripinn

You can try the same things. If it don't helps create a DxDiag in text file format, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER and look if it has ME2 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up together with the DxDiag. You can do that with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 3 of 29 (9,276 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

I have the exact same issue, I've tried everything.

Message 2 of 29 (8,203 Views)

@momgames

Did you tried to repair the game? (in Origin > Game Library > right click ME3 > Repair)

If so, what else did you try?

If you haven't done so already, try this:

- Close Origin. (right click at the Task Bar icon > Exit)

- Go here and download the two DLLs.

- Navigate to ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\Core" folder and rename the "awc.dll" and the "EACore.dll" to "old_awc.dll" and "Old_EACore.dll"

- Move the new "awc.dll" and "EACore.dll" files from the place you saved them into the directory listed above.

- Test the Game.

If that don't helps:

- Close Origin.

- move the "Mass Effect 3"  folder from your "Documents\Bioware" folder to your desktop.

- Start Origin Test the game.

@Tripinn

You can try the same things. If it don't helps create a DxDiag in text file format, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER and look if it has ME2 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up together with the DxDiag. You can do that with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 3 of 29 (9,277 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have had this same issue the ME3 task only appears for a few seconds before it closes and origin's window reappears on the screen it gives no error text or anything. The windows event screen says that it is a faulty application path and the component is the awc.dll and when I replace the dll with a file that was posted it still pops up with the same error that the dll is bad I am running it on windows 10 and about 3 weeks ago I changed the hardware in my computer and it worked on windows 10 before that I even went as far as to reinstall origin and ME3 and it still does not work and origin is being ran in admin I even went and tried to run the game in compatibility mode with windows 7 and admin and still does the same thing. I even read people saying that EA told them that their bios was not supported by the game if that is the case they should be doing a patch to make the game work since they are still selling the game. I have disabled origin in game and cloud saves and it still does the same thing. It is just throwing me into a rage. None of the solutions I have tried have made any difference I think its not my PC its the game or origin itself that is causing this.

Message 4 of 29 (8,182 Views)

★★★ Novice

@historywiz wrote:

I have had this same issue the ME3 task only appears for a few seconds before it closes and origin's window reappears on the screen it gives no error text or anything. The windows event screen says that it is a faulty application path and the component is the awc.dll and when I replace the dll with a file that was posted it still pops up with the same error that the dll is bad I am running it on windows 10 and about 3 weeks ago I changed the hardware in my computer and it worked on windows 10 before that I even went as far as to reinstall origin and ME3 and it still does not work and origin is being ran in admin I even went and tried to run the game in compatibility mode with windows 7 and admin and still does the same thing. I even read people saying that EA told them that their bios was not supported by the game if that is the case they should be doing a patch to make the game work since they are still selling the game. I have disabled origin in game and cloud saves and it still does the same thing. It is just throwing me into a rage. None of the solutions I have tried have made any difference I think its not my PC its the game or origin itself that is causing this.

I'm with you that I've tried all options given on forum. nothing seems to work, yet I played this in May and it was fine. Played Andromeda decided to come back to it and now it won't. What on Earth Origin??? seriously frustrated

Message 5 of 29 (8,178 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Just tried second part of Holger 1405;s solution.

"If that don't helps:

- Close Origin.

- Start Origin Test the game."

this worked for me but lost all my saves. I started a new game so a save file would appear on the computer c drive again then took the saves from the desktop file and transferred them into the new saves and got my saves back and the game played. not sure where the problem is, but wasn't in the save folder. Has to be in one of the other files in that Documents \Bioware folder. Hopefully this gets you back in the game

Message 6 of 29 (8,170 Views)

@momgames

This means either one of the "INI" files, the profile file or one of the save games got corrupted.

If the problem was one of the first two, you probably will not have future issues, if it was a save game it can be that the game will stop working again if you try to load the particular save. 

Message 7 of 29 (8,166 Views)

[ Edited ]

@historywiz

It is unlikely that the Bios is the culprit, but it is for sure something going on on your system that causes the problem.

First, did you also moved the "Mass Effect" folder from the "Documents\Bioware" folder, as I suggested, after you disabled "Origin in game" and "cloud saves"?

Second, did you replaced both DLLs and rebooted your machine at last once?

Furthermore, your Windows 10 is still at build 10240, that is the first (public) windows 10 build, delivered at the release of Windows 10.

MS changed the WDM (Windows driver Model) in the later major future upgrades for Windows 10 two times, and the NVIDIA drivers you use are written for this new driver model.

Is there a reason why you're still on build 10240?

Message 8 of 29 (8,156 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I replaced both 4 times and it didn't amount to anything the game still won't launch. I had a similar problem with the first Mass Effect when I got it 5 years ago but that popped up a text window saying a DLL file was missing I then used a program to search for and re install the missing DLL files one after another It eventually worked. It am using build 10240 because for some reason the computer does not update to any of the newer builds at all the creators update it got to the point that it told me to restart I did and then it comes up applying update the computer will restart a few times it gets to 25% restarts and then it comes up reverting back to a previous build of windows 10 and I have tried to update windows 10 to a newer build a few times with no success I have tried it with windows update, update assistant and a while back I tried the windows creators tool none worked it may also be that my internet is complete garbage downloading anything is a long and frustrating process. Also this is the only game that seems to have this issue all the other Mass Effect games work including Andromeda.   

Message 9 of 29 (8,139 Views)

@historywiz

And you also moved the "Mass Effect 3" folder from the "Documents\Bioware" folder?

What kind of Hardware did you change?

For the Windows update problem, you might want to check in the Windows Disk management if you have a at least 500MB big partition (System, Active, Primary Partition) in front of your Windows partition.

If it is not there or smaller than 500 MB you should use a partitioning tool to create or advance this partition.

If that don't helps you should think about a fresh installation of your system with a update-medium created with the MS Media Creation tool.

You will get more and more problems with this build regarding multi-media features.

Message 10 of 29 (8,129 Views)