Mass Effect 3: Crashes at Startup - Help?

by Tokkiqu

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 3: Crashes at Startup - Help?

★★★ Newbie

So I've been playing mass effect 3 for around 2 months without any problems. I'd not been on my laptop for a few days and went to play. Origin opened, started the game and then after the initial start up screen it crashed. Me and another player have been trying to fix it for days. I've tried playing in compatibility mode; updating EVERY driver(very boring);reinstalling mass effect; reinstalling origin; restarting my laptop and whatever else we could find but nothings worked. Theres been no software updates for my laptop, don't have a virus, im using the same system as someone else who's is working fine so I don't know what the problem is but i really want to play. Anyone know anything that could help?

Thanks,

Emma

Message 1 of 8 (760 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 3: Crashes at Startup - Help?

[ Edited ]

@Tokkiqu

Yes that is perfect.

It will take some time to read it, so I will answer you tomorrow regarding the DxDiag.

In the meantime, try this:

- Disable cloud save for ME3 in Origin. (In Origin > Game library > right click ME3 > Game properties > Cloud saves > untick the "Enable Origin In Game for Mass Effect 3" checkbox > Save.

- Close Origin.

- Move (not copy, move) the "Save" folder under "Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 3" out of the "Mass Effect 3" folder again. > Test.

If that don't helps, 

- Close Origin. (right click at the Task Bar icon > Exit)

- Go here and download the two DLLs.

- Navigate to ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\Core" and rename the "awc.dll" and the "EACore.dll" to "old_awc.dll" and "Old_EACore.dll"

- Move the new "awc.dll" and "EACore.dll" files from the place you saved them into the directory listed above.

- Test the Game.

If that still don't helps, run the Windows System File Checker Sfc /scannnow and post the concluding message.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 6 of 8 (789 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@Tokkiqu

Hi Emma, first try to disable Origin in game (Origin menu left top corner > Origin > Application Settings > ORIGIN IN-GAME > Enable Origin In-Game > off > Test.

- If that don't helps, close Origin completely.

- Create a empty folder on your desktop.

- Go to your "Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 3" folder and move the "Save" folder to the folder you created on the desktop.

- Go to your "Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 3" folder and move the "BIOGame" folder to the folder you created on the desktop. (both folder must be gone from the "Mass Effect 3" folder!)

- Start Origin > Test the Game.

If that also don't helps, create a DxDiag, in txte file format, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER and look if it has ME3 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up together with the DxDiag. You can do that with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 8 (748 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, 

Thank you so much for your help!

Unfortunately, none of the things you recommended worked....

I tried to disable origin in game which prolonged the opening screen but still didn't get past EA's logo. Moving the files doesn't change anything sadly. In respect to the Reliability Monitor thing, it doesn't actually show Mass Effect as crashing.

Can you think of any other way to fix it?

Thanks

Emma

Message 3 of 8 (690 Views)

@Tokkiqu

Please create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply. You can do that  with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window. 

Message 4 of 8 (687 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello!

Thank you for replying so quickly

Is this okay?

Message 5 of 8 (681 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Tokkiqu

Yes that is perfect.

It will take some time to read it, so I will answer you tomorrow regarding the DxDiag.

In the meantime, try this:

- Disable cloud save for ME3 in Origin. (In Origin > Game library > right click ME3 > Game properties > Cloud saves > untick the "Enable Origin In Game for Mass Effect 3" checkbox > Save.

- Close Origin.

- Move (not copy, move) the "Save" folder under "Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 3" out of the "Mass Effect 3" folder again. > Test.

If that don't helps, 

- Close Origin. (right click at the Task Bar icon > Exit)

- Go here and download the two DLLs.

- Navigate to ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32\Core" and rename the "awc.dll" and the "EACore.dll" to "old_awc.dll" and "Old_EACore.dll"

- Move the new "awc.dll" and "EACore.dll" files from the place you saved them into the directory listed above.

- Test the Game.

If that still don't helps, run the Windows System File Checker Sfc /scannnow and post the concluding message.

Message 6 of 8 (790 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

I turned the cloud save off and now it finally works! Thank you so much for your help. I'm amazed i didn't try that before this, really sorry to waste your time but thank you!

Emma

Message 7 of 8 (672 Views)

@Tokkiqu

No problem, you did not wasted my time because we got the game working again. Standard smile

Note: That it works now means that either one of your save games or that your profile file is corrupted.

You can test which save game is corrupted by copying them back into the Original "Save" folder one by one and starting the game after each one. 

This way you don't lose your entire progress.

Message 8 of 8 (669 Views)