Re: ME3 won't launch anymore (PC)

by AWisegal

Original Post

Accepted Solution

ME3 won't launch anymore (PC)

★★★ Novice

I've put over 250 hours into this game without issues, but suddenly the game no longer launches.  I had to apply a mandatory update to Origin today, and after that the game no longer opens.  It will begin to launch, but then the screen flashes white and the game closes itself. The window comes up in Origin asking me whether I want to use cloud or local saves, but nothing else.  This process repeats every time I attempt to open the game.

I've tried disabling cloud saves, running Origin in offline mode, and restarting both my computer and Origin.  I've also tried the .dll fix that is floating around the interwebs for Windows 10 machines, as well as attempting to run the game in Win7 compatibility mode. I've attached both a DxDiag file and the perfmon file from the latest crash.  The performance monitor seems to be implicating D3d9.dll as the culprit, but I'm not sure what to do with that.

I am running a lot of mods as well as a reshade, but my setup has been stable for months with no crashes.  I think it's unlikely that one of my mods would suddenly cause this issue.

Any help would be appreciated! I just want to be able to play my game again.

Message 1 of 2 (747 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

I managed to fix the issue myself, but I'm leaving this topic up in case anyone else has the same issue.

The problem stems from using a SweetFX reshade on a DX9 game.  Windows 10 had an update in Spring of 2018 that appears to have messed with the ability of Dx9 games to use the modified dll files from the mods.  The fix for me was to use the modified dll file found Here. This is a mod on the Nexus that was originally created to allow SweetFX to work with Nvidia optimus technology.  However, it also appears to solve this problem.

According to people much smarter than I, this fix should work for all DX9 games if anyone else is having trouble getting their modded games to launch since the Windows update.

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (921 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

I managed to fix the issue myself, but I'm leaving this topic up in case anyone else has the same issue.

The problem stems from using a SweetFX reshade on a DX9 game.  Windows 10 had an update in Spring of 2018 that appears to have messed with the ability of Dx9 games to use the modified dll files from the mods.  The fix for me was to use the modified dll file found Here. This is a mod on the Nexus that was originally created to allow SweetFX to work with Nvidia optimus technology.  However, it also appears to solve this problem.

According to people much smarter than I, this fix should work for all DX9 games if anyone else is having trouble getting their modded games to launch since the Windows update.

Message 2 of 2 (922 Views)