Game says I no longer own it

by ItzSpartanXD

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game says I no longer own it

★★ Novice

Hey I have Mass Effect 3 on origin and have played over 300 hours. But then I saw on steam Mass Effect 3 is finally there, so I decide to get it for steam so I can keep everything in one location. But a problem popped up. I couldn't load up the game now its on steam. I tried for hours to find a solution to fix this problem and nothing worked. So I decided to refund it on steam and just keep it on origin. And again a problem popped up. Now I can even play it on origin because it says "I don't own" the game. I have the download/purchase code, played many hours on the game already, but it says I don't own it and have to buy it again. I just want to play the game I owned and it has become a problem. I tried to go and talk on live chat for some help but its supper slow and always says "try again tomorrow". I just want to be able to play a game I love that I purchased more then 3 years ago. Someone please help.

Message 1 of 13 (1,451 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game says I no longer own it

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@ItzSpartanXD 

I think your current approach is your only recourse.  Hopefully tech support gets back to you with a solution.  As you last mentioned, it would seem the easiest solution would be to

1) remove it from your account

2) re-grant you the game.

If they don't solve soon, you may consider another chat and push for that option.  However, that has its own issues as it seems the re-grant sometimes doesn't take.  I'll refer you to the following thread where three of us had that issue and it took multiple chats and a lot of persistence to get it fixed:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-3/PC-Mass-Effect-3-Crash-Right-After-Launch/m-p/9058229/highli...

View in thread

Message 12 of 13 (1,675 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@ItzSpartanXD 

Try to clear your Origin cache.
All settings in Origin (only in Origin not in the games) are back to default settings after this.)

• Close Origin completely.
    (right click on the Origin symbol in the task bar > close)
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Type or copy and paste "%ProgramData%/Origin" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
  • Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for the "LocalContent" folder.
    (The "LocalContent" folder must remain untouched.)
  • Delete the "Mass Effect 3" folder from your "LocalContent" folder.
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Type or copy and paste "%AppData%" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
  • Now your Windows explorer should have brought you to your "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Roaming" folder.
  • Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the "Roaming" folder.
  • In the address bar of your Windows explorer click on "AppData".
  • Open the "Local" folder.
  • Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the  "Local" folder.
  • Restart your PC > Repair ME3 (right click the cover > repair) > test
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 13 (1,432 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you for the suggestion but did not work. It still asking me to purchase the game when I already own it.

Message 3 of 13 (1,404 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Does a message actually come up saying "you don't own" (or similar)?  Or is it that:

1) It appears in your Origin game library, but clicking on it essentially does nothing. Or...

2) It doesn't appear in your game library at all, or ...

3) ?

I had #1 and had to work with official support help.ea.com.  And it took a few tries to get it fixed.

I suspect that the other cases will likely have to go through same route as well.

Depending on case, you could try a repair, or to remove game from your drive, then reinstall.  But TBH, I doubt it will solve your issue.

Sounds to me more like there is some conflict between Steam purchase and Origin purchase, and your game entitlement got corrupted.  But that's a guess just based on what I'm seeing lately and my situation.  For instance, people losing access to the game after just adding the DLC bundle.

Origin+ME3 is basically a mess.

Message 4 of 13 (1,376 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@DoctorDAM wrote:

<snip>.

And I have had ZERO problems with ME3 and Origin on my Win10/64-bit rig.

All DLC downloaded and authenticated the first time, no issues starting, saving, or otherwise playing the game.  Well, Full Disclosure: I have gotten "stuck in mid-air" a few times. And there's the weird bug with the MSV Estevanico side-quest where you can't jump onto the final platform.  But those aren't EA/Origin-related.  Otherwise, it's been  pretty smooth sailing through my 1055 hours (and counting!) of game time.  Cool

Message 5 of 13 (1,359 Views)

[ Edited ]

@DoctorDAM wrote:

Like @ThandalNLyman  I also can't confirm this.

I as well had no problem at all with ME3 on Origin since the game was released.

@ItzSpartanXD 

You should contact EA directly to see if this is a account problem.

The link to EA's Support is here. If you are not from the US change the country in the top right corner.

Choose "Contact us" (Top Bar) and then Choose "Origin" from the list.

Choose PC > Choose "Manage my Account"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 6 of 13 (1,340 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I'm guessing neither of you have created a PC account and purchased ME3 in last 2 years.  To be fair, this (my main) account, seems to work fine.  I don't play it lately since I'm working on an alt.  And yes, I know people who have with no problems.  But I see a lot of the following appearing on new accounts (include THREE ALT ACCOUNTS I made):

Doesn't link to N7HQ (and with that, gets dropped from game/lobby when host quits, etc, etc)

Worse (when they moved game license from one account with above issue to a new account): Doesn't load ME3, just blinks for a second, then nothing

Had existing game, bought DLC, then game no longer recognizes your license (or no MP).

MP asks for online pass (something they did away with years ago)

And, of course, the occasional GAW stops working (which pops up here like clockwork).  At least this one gets fixed.

Oh, lately it seems to notify friend has unlocked some achievement, when in reality, all they've done is unlocked some kit/weapon/item that lets them access one more challenge (not having done it, mind you).  Little thing, sure.  But new glitch.

And now, the Steam/Origin/ME3 issues.

Message 7 of 13 (1,328 Views)

★★ Novice

It is a big mess. Did live chat with 3 different people and nothing worked. I was told after an hour that he couldnt figure it out and is having other people look at it and hopefully will email me a solution or email me when they fixed it. But no real time frame. (And I can only reinstall by right clicking on the game, as well its says failed to download every time. Also When I click on the game and open it up it says I have to buy it.)

Message 8 of 13 (1,312 Views)

★★ Novice

I did and they could not figure it out. Just told me to sit tight for a email while they try to figure it out. If three EA tech supports can't figure it out in any way, I would like code to re buy it(and DLC) or something.

Message 9 of 13 (1,310 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@DoctorDAM wrote:

I'm guessing neither of you have created a PC account and purchased ME3 in last 2 years. 

<snip>

And now, the Steam/Origin/ME3 issues.

"Last 2 years"?!?  I installed ME3 in 2012! 

As for people trying to make it work through Steam...  Good luck with that.  I've seen no indication that Valve knows or cares how to get things working properly.  But that's not EA's lookout, is it?

Message 10 of 13 (1,284 Views)