Re: Game runs poorly on Steam

by TheStrayLynx

Original Post

★★★ Novice

Since my reply to this thread was apparently deleted without an actual address to the question I asked, I'm going to ask it again.

Can an EA representative please explain exactly why the Origin Overlay client is a requirement to playing Mass Effect 3 on Steam when it was not an issue for both Mass Effect 1 and 2? Can someone explain: after the players have clearly identified this as the source of the frame issues, and that disabling this vastly improves the performance of the game on the Origin version of the game, why you will not allow us this as a solution for the Steam version?

I did not have my post on this thread answered in a private message whatsoever, so if you do not want me using this thread to vent my frustration over a lack of customer service, the very least you can do is address the above.

Message 41 of 90 (3,268 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have also tried disabling origin overlay, steam overlay, numerous tweaks to settings, nothing seems to fix the poor performance. I have a gtx 1080 ti and ryzen 3600x, while running gpu usage is around 20%, sitting at 60C and never going above. Hoping there is a way for EA to fix this issue, was it even tested before launch on steam???

Message 42 of 90 (3,205 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello, I am writing from Russia. I read a lot of reviews on steam from Russia, and we have a lot of people very much disappointed with this problem of the origin overlay in their favorite game. A lot of people are trying to get a refund for a game on Steam. And many more refuse to buy the game because of this problem, although I would very much like to have the entire trilogy in the Steam store! If a solution to the problem is not found soon, then EA will lose a lot of potential buyers of the game. I myself would buy the game right now with all the dlc on Steam, but now I'm waiting for a solution to the problem.

Message 43 of 90 (3,188 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice
@Rickdaily12 My best guess would be that, ME/2 Had their own steam versions. As well as being an Origin Game.

When they moved to Store exclusivity for their digital games to try and sell EA Access, they forced the Origin Client to do all the licencing checks for the game and DLC etc, The same thing that Steam does, but instead on Origin.

I imagine this was because they never had it planned to Drop this exclusivity and return to steam. Now rather than spend the effort on making a port and changing how their games verify things, they just threw the Origin Exclusives on Steam.

However Origin has built in security to stop people tampering or messing with it to achieve undesirable outcomes, so they have a lock where if Origin is opened by another app, It restricts what you can do so that you cant tamper with it.

All they need to do is add an exception to Steam and allow it to "mess" with Origin so that settings can be changed.
Message 44 of 90 (3,152 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

For some Reason what EA support cant seem to get their head around when you raise a ticket is that the Origin Overlay causes problems with the game. No matter where you bought it. But because with Origin or CD you can find the solution with a quick google and Disable of the Overlay, no one raised a ticket about it.

Now because we cant disable The overlay when Origin is launched Via Steam (due to its security measures) The performance issues that were present upon launch and in ALL OTHER VERSIONS NOT JUST STEAM cant be fixed. 

I would assume that a Fix from EA wont happen and it will be someone releasing a mod that stops origin from Launching at all and just Fakes the Licencing or permissions like the Quick fix for Mass Effect 2 DLC (now that Cerberus network is down) As EA never released anything to help with this even back for ME 2.

The overlay isnt just a problem with Mass Effect either, a quick google shows that it affects a wide range of games including SIMS 4.

Message 45 of 90 (3,148 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

I've messed with origin settings before when we were looking into disabling auto-updates for users when they install texture mods, as origin was constantly breaking ME1 and ME2 users. Digging into this, the game ID on origin is DR:230773600_t. Inside of your appdata roaming dir, there is Origin folder. In this folder is local_<hash of some kind>.xml, and in here are settings. One of the settings is called OigDisabledGames, and when disabling OIG, the value listed above is added.

<Setting value="#//DR:230773600_t" key="OigDisabledGames" type="10"/>

When the game is launched, it's launched through a program called EASteamProxy.exe, which then calls MassEffect3.exe and injects the Steam Overlay. I'm wondering if something in this launch process is ignoring the settings, since normally it's launched by Origin rather than the proxy program. I poked around a bit with [Origin] IGO32.dll, but Origin won't even startup if that file is missing. (IGO is In Game Overlay).

Personally, I don't have this issue on Origin or Steam. But from my testing, the 'disable Origin in-game overlay' works in the UI, but it doesn't actually apply to the game that's launched, so it's an Origin bug and not really a game bug. Origin in game overlay however has always been poor. Ever since they changed to this webapp/qt interface, Origin's performance (including overlay) has been terrible. The old UI interface was pretty fast before they axed it. I would trade an uglier interface for a much faster one.

I doubt it would work, but in ME3Tweaks Mod Manager's ASI Manager there is an ASI called Origin Unlinker by a developer named ErikJS. It runs after Origin decrypts and runs the executable and unhooks origin from the game process - I wonder if this would work in this instance.

Message 46 of 90 (2,683 Views)

Community Manager

Hey everyone. 

Marking this post as a solution just for visibility. This is an ongoing investigation, and we are not currently considering the issue resolved. 

This issue is currently under investigation. We don't currently have any updates or additional information to share, but as soon as we hear back with more info we'll update this thread to let everyone know. 

Thanks for bearing with us on this. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 47 of 90 (5,588 Views)

★★ Novice
@EA_Kent Nice...Thank you...
Message 48 of 90 (3,015 Views)

★ Novice

Just adding my voice to the pile. I have the same issue with the Steam version, the game runs just as poorly on my Ryzen 5 1600 and RX 480 as it did back it the day on an FX 6300 and Radeon 6970. I've read, like many others have, that it's related to the Origin In-Game Overlay, and it simply refuses to disable it's self for me to even be able to confirm if this is the case.

I disabled it both in Origin's general settings as well as Mass Effect 3 specifically.

I also disabled Steam overlay.

I even tried reinstalling Origin.

I've included a link to a screenshot of the Origin Overlay running despite it reporting in-game that it has been turned off:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1251386528595546219/0F6BCB5A15B7E900AAF652A48DC413B321608...

Message 49 of 90 (2,881 Views)

★★ Novice

Same problem Intel Core i7 8750H Coffee Lake , RAM 8GB DDR4 , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 . 

Message 50 of 90 (2,847 Views)