Re: Game runs poorly on Steam

by n7legiion

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game runs poorly on Steam

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

As the title already suggests, the game runs poorly on Steam. Once I launched it and got into multiplayer in-game, there were simply too much stutters and lags that makes the game not enjoyable. I have tried out few things that I could: Turn off Origin Overlay, Steam Overlay, switch between Fullscreen/Borderless Window, turn off Vsync and Antialiasing, but overall I still got the same result. Looking for ways to fix this issue.

Message 1 of 90 (48,505 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

Hi everyone, 

As was mentioned above, it looks like this issue was related to the Origin In-Game Overlay. Disabling the overlay should help with the performance issues. 

Thanks everyone for bearing with us on this. 

/Kent

Kent.png

View in thread

Message 84 of 90 (26,535 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Apprentice
@n7legiion The problem is the Origin overlay which seems to be permanently enabled even if you disabled it in the settings.
Message 2 of 90 (48,380 Views)

The Steam version has Origin overlay permanently enabled

★★★ Apprentice

Turning it off in the Origin client and specifically for the game does nothing. Pressing shift + F1 in-game still opens up the overlay. I wouldn't care about the overlay if it wasn't affecting performance so severely.

Message 3 of 90 (48,269 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

Is there a way to solve it?

Message 4 of 90 (48,365 Views)

Massive FPS drop in Mass Effect 3 [Steam-version] with Origin overlay

★★★★★ Novice

Hello dear support. Steam-version of Mass Effect 3 has massive performance issues on modern hardware. Huge issue with framerate dropping randomly. Something is wrong with Origin-overlay that cause significant fps issues. It looks like it's an old issue that most people were able to fix by disabling the Origin in Game overlay, but the steam version doesn't let you do that, even when you try to disable it from Origin itself. The issue is that the framerate oscillates wildly between something like 12 and 62, no matter what your graphics settings are on. Smoke, lighting, and movement especially kill the framerate. The answer isn't "upgrade your PC" because my PC is years ahead of this game, and handles 60fps in non steam-version. Moreover, resource monitor shows that this game is barely tickling my GPU or CPU.

Message 5 of 90 (48,592 Views)

Re: Massive FPS drop in Mass Effect 3 [Steam-version] with Origin overlay

[ Edited ]

@Cyb3r1an 

As a workaround, (A fix from Bioware is probably needed.) did you tried to disable the Steam overly or other software that uses overly functions?

(Discord, Riva Tuner etcetera.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 6 of 90 (48,570 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Holger1405 

>Discord, Riva Tuner etcetera
Nothing. I have a clean system with Steam and Origin only.

Message 7 of 90 (48,560 Views)

@Cyb3r1an 

And if you disable Steam overly nothing changes?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 8 of 90 (48,521 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Holger1405 

Nothing change. Same problem.

Message 9 of 90 (48,497 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

The official EA support stance on this is "It's a Steam issue". So, no. There is no way to solve it at this time.

Origin.png

Message 10 of 90 (48,329 Views)