Game fails to load, "Failed to initialize the physics system."

by Barstigal

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game fails to load, "Failed to initialize the physics system."

★★★★ Novice

I recently purchased Mass Effect 3 and it won't even load.   I keep getting the message, "Failed to initialize the physics system. Please ensure you have an updated version of the PhysX System Software installed."

I've got the latest drivers and I have a NVidia Gforce GTX 650 graphics card.    Is there any reason why this is occuring, and how can it be fixed?

Message 1 of 72 (190,631 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game fails to load, "Failed to initialize the physics system."

[ Edited ]
Hero

This was a problem in ME2 as well. I googled it for you and found the following fix:

Click "Start" --> "Control panel" --> Uninstall a program" locate PhysX in the list, --> "Right click PhysX" --> "Choose Repair"

Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/106/index/843882/1#2567357 (Edit: The forum has been deleted.)

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 72 (209,984 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

This was a problem in ME2 as well. I googled it for you and found the following fix:

Click "Start" --> "Control panel" --> Uninstall a program" locate PhysX in the list, --> "Right click PhysX" --> "Choose Repair"

Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/106/index/843882/1#2567357 (Edit: The forum has been deleted.)

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 72 (209,985 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Fred - thanks!
Message 3 of 72 (186,146 Views)

★★★ Novice

When I go onto my control panel right click PhysX in the list of programs, the only option is "uninstall/change." Whenever I click on it, PhysX automatically starts to uninstall itself. Any advice?

Message 4 of 72 (183,801 Views)

★★★ Novice

When I go onto my control panel right click PhysX in the list of programs, the only option is "uninstall/change." Whenever I click on it, PhysX automatically starts to uninstall itself. Any advice?

Message 5 of 72 (183,801 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@jto168 wrote:
Fred - thanks!

Message 6 of 72 (182,708 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks!  You solved my problem in 10 seconds!

Message 7 of 72 (182,222 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I Have the same problem .. But i dont have the physix program in the program files ...
Message 8 of 72 (180,219 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I ran into the same issue as you SkullBoy. If you use a NVIDIA video card, it may not be listed as PhysX in the program list, it'll be NVIDIA PhysX.

Using the repair option on that fixed the problem completely for me.

Message 9 of 72 (179,984 Views)

★ Novice

Excellent solution.  Just built a new PC with an Nvidia card so I knew PhysX was installed.  Tried to fire up the old ME3 and got this error.  Repair fixed it. 

Message 10 of 72 (171,973 Views)