Game (ME3) won't launch, Origin screen "refreshes" and nothing happens

by Thygguix

Original Post

Game (ME3) won't launch, Origin screen "refreshes" and nothing happens

★★★ Newbie

I purchased Mass Effect 3 N7 digital deluxe edition from Steam last week. I played the game for a few days without any issues.

Then out of sudden, the game won't start anymore. I believe the problem began right after the last origin update (6/24/2020). When I click on the game on the Origin app, its screen goes blank a few seconds, then refreshes but the game won't launch. My non-Origin games work fine BTW. I've tried this:

• Re-installed the game, Origin and Steam apps (no avail)
  • Replaced awc.dll and EAcore.dll with clean versions (I heard they could be the culprits) No avail
  • Flushed DNS, reseted all my network settings (No avail)
  • Tried launching the game on safe mode (no avail)
  • Tried various compatibility modes (no avail)
  • Disable autosave feature and deleted my saves (heard a corrupted save profile can cause this). Again no success. I kept a backup of the saves on an external drive though.
  • Tried launching the game with a new user account (worked for some people). No avail

At a last resort, I did a fresh install of Windows 10 and downloaded the apps and the game again and.... It worked! The game launched and I was able to play for a couple of hours, even after re-applying my previous saves (since they didn't seem to be the culprits). No problem. 

Then sadly, the issue started again this afternoon. And I cannot identify the cause.

At this time, I really don't know what else to do. It's really frustrating to pay for a game and all its DLCs and not be able to enjoy it one bit. So I come here for help. If you have any idea than can help, PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I have attached my DxDiag for reference.

Message 1 of 45 (10,261 Views)

Re: Game (ME3) won't launch, Origin screen "refreshes" and nothing hap

@Thygguix 

Do you use any Mods for ME3?

• Turn off the Cloud save function in Origin.
  • Make sure that Origin is closed.
  • Go to your "C:\Users\>your user name>\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 3" = "Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 3" folder and move the "Save" and "BIOGame" folders to your desktop. > Test.

If that don't works, did you tried a smaller system and in game resolution with lower DPI Settings?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 45 (10,211 Views)

★★ Apprentice

It is really hard to make a recommendation without seeing the Origin log files. I am not asking for posting them here but If you do post them please understand that some log files contain sensitive data so make sure to remove such data from the logs before posting.

Message 3 of 45 (10,193 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@Thygguix A user in my discord server this morning said installing the fps fix I made resolved the issue. I have no idea why. it almost seems like origin is killing the process trying to inject its overlay. I've seen it happen before with other apps like msi afterburner, so maybe origin is indeed killing the game too.
Message 4 of 45 (10,164 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I am having the same issue and the fps fix didn't work. It now says I am in the game but it doesn't launch. 

Message 5 of 45 (10,094 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@holger1405 Just latching on to this topic since I'm having a similar issue.

Just installed ME3 for the first time, but it won't start. I press play and I get the cloud sync box which completes but then nothing.
I have disabled cloud sync.
I have disabled the Origin in-game thing.
I have gone to offline mode.
I have also replaced awc.dll and EAcore.dll with clean versions
I have log in and out of Origin as well as restarted my computer.
I tried messing around with resolutions using the Config but nothing changed whether I make it small or windowed.

I tried to look for the Mass Effect 3 folder in "Documents\BioWare\" but it isn't present. But I think that might just be due to the game being installed on the computer for the first time.
Message 6 of 45 (10,036 Views)

@thosta100 

Please create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply.

If you use Windows 7 also go to your Reliability monitor > Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time and copy and paste or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in the new Window > hit “ENTER” and look if it has entries for the game you have trouble with.

If yes double click at the last entry for the game executable, copy the info to the clipboard, and save it to a text file.

Perf.png

You can attach the DxDiag text file you created (and the “Reliability monitor” text file as well) to your post in the “Reply” window with the “Choose File” button. 

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 7 of 45 (10,020 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Holger1405 

Thanks for the fast reply!

DxDiag is attached. And I'm using Windows 10.

As a FYI, my nVidia drive is also up to date and I have run Origin as an Administrator. Plus I tried Repairing/Verifying Game files.

Doing some digging I see people had this issue due to merging of accounts. My copies of Mass Effect were added to this account through a merging with one of my old accounts. 

See related error: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-3/PC-Mass-Effect-3-Crash-Right-After-Launch/m-p/9058229/highli...

Message 8 of 45 (9,991 Views)

@thosta100 

There are only ME2 Errors in the DxDiag, we are talking about ME3? (Just to make sure.) Wink

Please look at this guide. to preform a clean uninstall of Origin.

• Scroll down to "How to uninstall the Origin client the hard way"
  • Follow the instructions to the letter. 
  • reboot.
  • Download this version of the "OriginSetup.exe"
  • Run the installer as Administrator (Right click the "OriginSetup.exe" > Run as an Administrator) > Test.

Message 9 of 45 (9,919 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@holger1405

We are indeed talking about ME3.

I followed all the steps for uninstalling Origin the 'hard way,' rebooted and reinstalled the file you linked as an administrator but still no change. I also tried starting it with all Origin functions turned off and in offline mode.

I have attached a new DxDiag just taken after the last attempt and I don't see any Mass Effect 3 related errors in this one either.

Sidenote: A Mass Effect 3 folder was created at some point in Documents > Bioware but I have tried booting the game with it both present and it moved elsewhere, still no success in either case.

Message 10 of 45 (9,876 Views)