Re: Game (ME3) won't launch, Origin screen "refreshes" and nothing hap

by DoctorDAM

Original Post

★★★ Guide

@thosta100 wrote:

Doing some digging I see people had this issue due to merging of accounts. My copies of Mass Effect were added to this account through a merging with one of my old accounts. 

See related error: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-3/PC-Mass-Effect-3-Crash-Right-After-Launch/m-p/9058229/highli...

@thosta100 

I was hesitant to link this to your initial response (and to the OP) since I have no experience with the Steam issues (other than seeing the topics here).  But yeah, this is what I would have asked about.  So, I suggest that whatever other advice you follow here, you simultaneously pursue this "merge" issue aspect directly with the ea help directly.  Cite that linked thread, and stress the merge part and ask that they remove and re-grant you the game (and make sure you test while they are still on).

Message 11 of 45 (2,167 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@DoctorDAM In my case I don't have a Steam version. Its just Origin, shoulda been clearer on that point.
Message 12 of 45 (2,157 Views)

@thosta100 

Letting your account get checked can't hurt.

The link to EA's Support is here. If you are not from the US change the country in the top right corner.

Choose "Contact us" (Top Bar) and then Choose "Origin" from the list.

Choose PC > Choose "Manage my Account"

There are however many "ATKEX_cmd.exe" errors in your DxDiag.

To verify if this errors are related, start the game, wait a few minutes and then look at that "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp" folder.

Check if the timestamp of one of the "WERxxxx.tmp.mdmp" files matches the time you tried to launch ME3.

If yes load this mini dump file up like the DxDiag. (It might be necessary to change the file extension to  *.txt or, if the file is to large to upload it at a free file hosting service.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 13 of 45 (2,148 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@holger1405Unfortunately the temp folder is empty with only a .lock file present. And I have checked for hidden files in there if that sort of thing is hidden.

Message 14 of 45 (2,129 Views)

@thosta100 

So you tried to start the game and the folder stays empty?

Did you contacted EA in the meantime?

• Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • In the new Window, type or copy and paste "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" (Without the quotation marks) > Press ENTER
  • Look if there are any "MassEffect3.exe.Xxxx.dmp" files in the "..Local\CrashDumps" folder.
  • Zip 2 - 3 "MassEffect3.exe.Xxxx.dmp" files together and upload them at a free file hosting service like Dropbox.
  • Post the link here.

If there aren't any dump files of TS3:

• Press the Windows key > Write: Command Prompt > Right click on "Command Prompt" in the search results > Run as administrator.
  • Copy and paste "reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\devenv.exe" /v DumpType /d 2 /t REG_DWORD" (Without the quotation marks at beginning and end of the line, so the quotation marks before "HKLM" and after "devenv.exe" need to stay in) into the command prompt Window > Press ENTER.
  • Start the game. (Look if the "MassEffect3.exe" is present in the Task Manager after you started the game and inform us if yes.)
  • After the game crashes, let all Windows crash dialogues finish. (If there any)
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time. > Type "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" (Without the quotation marks) into the new window > Press ENTER.
  • Zip 2 - 3 "MassEffect3.exe.Xxxx.dmp" files together and upload them at a free file hosting service like Dropbox.
  • Post the link here.

If you want to undo the automatic dump creation, use the command below in a elevated command prompt (As in point 1) reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 15 of 45 (2,117 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@holger1405I have been in two webchats so far with them which once again involved reinstalling Origin and clearing the cache as well as running it in compatibility mode. They just gave me a to-do list in troubleshooting so I'll be doing those as well, I'll keep this topic updated on what those troubleshooting steps are.

I also followed the steps you've given, but still no such dump files are made.
Mass Effect 3 does not appear at all in the Task Manager. I have two screens for this computer, and I have kept an eye on the task manager each time I try running Mass Effect 3.
The only change is that Origin (32 bit) (2 ) becomes Origin (32 bit) (3 ) or (4 ), before reverting back to (2 ).

Also, once again thank you so far for the troubleshooting. I really appreciate it so far.

Message 16 of 45 (2,102 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Holger1405 As a point of clarification, there are files in the CrashDumps folder for other games such as Mass Effect 2. But nothing for Mass Effect 3.

Following webchat troubleshooting they got me to create a new Administrator profile and to check up on the steps used in this older post of yours: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-effect-3-will-not-launch-on-windows-10/m-p/6936942#M260...

So I also did all of this - 

• Create a new user account (Administrator)
  • Reboot > log on to the new user account > test the game.
  • If it don't works, delete all files with the *.cab file extension in the  ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\__Installer\directx\redist" folder.
  • Run the "DXSETUP.exe" in the same folder again, and again as an Administrator (right click the "DXSETUP.exe" > Run as an Administrator)
  • Reboot > log on to the new account > test.

None of that worked, so I have prepared a new dxdiag file for the next webchat as well as a mymsinfo file. I have attached the latter to this post to see in case you find it useful.

Midnight approaches for me now, so I'll have to pick up the webchat tomorrow. Party hat

Message 17 of 45 (2,053 Views)

★★★ Guide

@thosta100 wrote:
@DoctorDAMIn my case I don't have a Steam version. Its just Origin, shoulda been clearer on that point.

Ahh, okay.  But going back to your original post, I'm a little confused.  Can you clarify by what you mean by "merged" and this:

"Just installed ME3 for the first time, but it won't start."

So, you originally had an Origin account under one name/email.  And changed to another email?  and...

1) Only then bought ME3 (i.e. didn't have it before).  And it won't run?

Or...

2) did you have ME3 on the original account.  And just had it merged into new account.  So this "just installed for the first time" just refers to first time on new account?

If it is #2, it sounds like the "merge" issue I had.

If it is #1, dunno.  Maybe related to #2, but maybe not.

Either way, good luck Standard smile

Message 18 of 45 (2,030 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@DoctorDAMI had two Origin accounts.
I had one deleted and all games on it moved to my new account. Those games were the Mass Effect games.
I have never played or installed Mass Effect from either account, this is the first time I have used them with Origin.

So its 2), but with the added caveat that it really was installed for the first time.

Cheers though!

Message 19 of 45 (2,013 Views)

★★★ Guide

@thosta100 

Ah, okay.  Again, good luck getting this straightened out.

Have you tried ME1 and ME2, and do they work?  If so, while you get your ME3 issue (hopefully) fixed, I'd strongly, strongly, recommend you start with the original and work your way through.  This is one of the (if not THE) great game series.  And since the story and characterization builds over all three, best to start at the beginning (IMO, ME while clunky in gameplay now, has the best story).

Message 20 of 45 (1,987 Views)