Re: Can't use my Xbox 360 controller to play Mass Effect 1-3 on PC through Origi

by Holger1405

Original Post

Re: Can't use my Xbox 360 controller to play Mass Effect 1-3 on PC through Origi

★ Novice

Hey dude.

Thank for all the info. I double checked the .ini files, and everything is there that should be there. But my problem is, when I use my Right Stick to look around, the speed is unbelievably fast, which make it near impossible to aim. Don't know if you maybe know of a solution for that?

@Xmaster1303 wrote:

This is not true, in BIOSinput.ini there is a string of code under Engine.UIInputConfiguration after the coding for the mouse specifically coded for the Xbox controller, the reason it doesn't work is because, it is suppressed by code, you have to go into the BIOSengine.ini and go down the list until you see Core.Systems where after the save game shortcut, there is a second line of Suppress "name" =True. At the end of that is a bit of code suppressing the use of a game pad. You can either change that to true or go to the top of the suppress list where you will find SuppressMeansUnsuppress=False and change that to True to allow a bunch of fun stuff. After that you will still run into trouble using the right analog. Continue in BIOSengine.ini until you arrive at WinDrv.WindowsClient and at the bottom insert AllowJoystickInput=True

After that you need to make sure the game can understand the analog movement. In BIOSinput.ini make sure under Engine.UIInputConfiguration codes that drive the stick are there, if not, here they are

AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftX,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftY,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Right,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Left)
AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftY,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftX,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Up,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Down)
AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightX,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightY,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_RightStick_Right,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_RightStick_Left)
AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightY,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightX,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_RightStick_Up,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_RightStick_Down)

(make sure there all one line after each definition)

Then you need to add binding so that is doesn't go to crazy and will reset to the center, I got mine from some other guy I found through google, but I just stumbled across the suppress codes and I haven't heard anything about it and as far as I've heard no one has gotten the controller to work as well as I have. You still need to chart the buttons and probably keep you keyboard close for the quick keys, but running around and shooting has gotten a whole lot easier.

Anyways, here's that last bit of code to make it work well, but obviously "tweakable"

Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftX",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.3")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftY",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.3")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightX",Command="Axis aTurn Speed=0.2 DeadZone=0.3")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightY",Command="Axis aLookup Speed=0.2 DeadZone=0.3")

Again, put underneath the last bit of code up there if you had that already.

Hope this help, I tried everything and I cant believe it was just a matter of changing a single suppression code.

I thought it was hopeless.

Message 11 of 38 (3,762 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@ColonelJakes_ZA wrote:

Hey dude.

Thank for all the info. I double checked the .ini files, and everything is there that should be there. But my problem is, when I use my Right Stick to look around, the speed is unbelievably fast, which make it near impossible to aim. Don't know if you maybe know of a solution for that?

In the Bioinput folder.
Change "Look up" from 240 to 24
Change "Look right" from 200 to 20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dygtsGy9xA

Message 12 of 38 (3,744 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Easier to download and install the native controller support packages from Nexus though.

Message 13 of 38 (3,740 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So I tried this method of going into the .ini for ME2 and after making the modifications specified, the game would not load. I had to repair the install in order to get it to load again. Does anyone know what the issue could be?

Message 14 of 38 (3,322 Views)

@archaeodude

@archaeodude wrote:

So I tried this method of going into the .ini for ME2 and after making the modifications specified, the game would not load. I had to repair the install in order to get it to load again. Does anyone know what the issue could be?

Typos or format errors in the ini file.

I would suggest to use this Mod to add controller support to ME2. (Read the description carefully)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 15 of 38 (3,313 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, 

I can see that you know things about these codes, so I wonder if you can help me. My problem is that on my controller left stick if I press it up it moves backwards and if I press it down it moves forwards in the game. Can you help me to change the left stick bindings to change these two movements? I would be very thankful!!

Message 16 of 38 (2,953 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Then there should be a disclaimer on the origin website about controller support! [ALL CAPS are  considered shouting in forums] I've been on the phone with the Technical Support [Hero edit: profanity removed] then Corporate about this issue! It is illegal to sell a product that is unfinished without disclosing it's unfinished state. EA knows and has known for awhile about the Controller issues with all of their products sold for PC. Their getting away with it because people aren't speaking up.

If you were really doing your job, you'd be telling paying customers where to go to get what's needed! And you need to remember the Cardinal Rule. The customer is always right even when their wrong!

Message 17 of 38 (2,928 Views)

@N7SemperFi

The Mass Effect games are in no way unfinished, they simply don't support controllers. It is also not an issue with the Games, it was never claimed that the Mass Effect games on PC would support controllers.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 18 of 38 (2,919 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Uuummmm................yeah............... This is some *...............  I'm a PC gamer, however, I like to use my controller on the newer games....  I just picked up Mass Effect off of Steam, and

GUESS WHAT!!! NO CONTROLLER ACCESS!!  I don't get it!  You'd thine the would be behind this...  DUDE!!! I'm NOT PLAYING THIS P.O.S. without my controller........... WTF!?!

'

Message 19 of 38 (2,891 Views)

[ Edited ]

@tigertalon69

There are Fan made mods that add controller support to all three games. 

If you don't want to use them than it is of course you prerogative to not play the game, it's your money after all.

Message 20 of 38 (2,882 Views)