Re: Can't use my Xbox 360 controller to play Mass Effect 1-3 on PC through Origin

by ThandalNLyman

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't use my Xbox 360 controller to play Mass Effect 1-3 on PC through Origin

★★★ Newbie

When I try to use my Xbox 360 controller while playing Mass Effect 1-3 on PC, it doesnt recognize my controller nor the device I have plugged into my PC that allows me to use the controller for other PC games?

Are Mass Effect 1-3 PC versions on Origin not compatible with an Xbox 360 controller?

Thanks for the answers and the help.

Message 1 of 38 (93,191 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't use my Xbox 360 controller to play Mass Effect 1-3 on PC through Origi

★★★ Novice

This is not true, in BIOSinput.ini there is a string of code under Engine.UIInputConfiguration after the coding for the mouse specifically coded for the Xbox controller, the reason it doesn't work is because, it is suppressed by code, you have to go into the BIOSengine.ini and go down the list until you see Core.Systems where after the save game shortcut, there is a second line of Suppress "name" =True. At the end of that is a bit of code suppressing the use of a game pad. You can either change that to true or go to the top of the suppress list where you will find SuppressMeansUnsuppress=False and change that to True to allow a bunch of fun stuff. After that you will still run into trouble using the right analog. Continue in BIOSengine.ini until you arrive at WinDrv.WindowsClient and at the bottom insert AllowJoystickInput=True

After that you need to make sure the game can understand the analog movement. In BIOSinput.ini make sure under Engine.UIInputConfiguration codes that drive the stick are there, if not, here they are

AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftX,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftY,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Right,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Left)
AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftY,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftX,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Up,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Down)
AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightX,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightY,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_RightStick_Right,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_RightStick_Left)
AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightY,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightX,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_RightStick_Up,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_RightStick_Down)

(make sure there all one line after each definition)

Then you need to add binding so that is doesn't go to crazy and will reset to the center, I got mine from some other guy I found through google, but I just stumbled across the suppress codes and I haven't heard anything about it and as far as I've heard no one has gotten the controller to work as well as I have. You still need to chart the buttons and probably keep you keyboard close for the quick keys, but running around and shooting has gotten a whole lot easier.

Anyways, here's that last bit of code to make it work well, but obviously "tweakable"

Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftX",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.3")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftY",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.3")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightX",Command="Axis aTurn Speed=0.2 DeadZone=0.3")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightY",Command="Axis aLookup Speed=0.2 DeadZone=0.3")

Again, put underneath the last bit of code up there if you had that already.

Hope this help, I tried everything and I cant believe it was just a matter of changing a single suppression code.

I thought it was hopeless.

View in thread

Message 10 of 38 (83,115 Views)

All Replies

Re: Can't use my Xbox 360 controller to play Mass Effect 1-3 on PC through Origin

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@travis2310 wrote:
<snip>

Are Mass Effect 1-3 PC versions on Origin not compatible with an Xbox 360 controller?

Thanks for the answers and the help.

There is no built-in game controller support for the PC versions of any of the ME-series.  None.

I've heard that some players have had (limited) success using the 3rd-party utility program "Xpadder", but that you still need a keyboard and mouse to interact with some parts of the UI.

Message 2 of 38 (92,972 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

There's also a method where you tweak the game files, which gives you controller gameplay and some of the user interface, but many crucial UI elements are still missing making this very hard to play.

I believe BioWare hasn't included any controller support in any of their PC games after Jade Empire, though I believe it may be included in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 38 (92,969 Views)

★★ Novice

yea this **bleep** sucks i didnt check to make sure you could use a controller and i dont sit at a desk my computers always plugged into my living room tv just wasted 15 dollars on a game i will never play. i dont even own a desk to place my keyboard and mouse. i've been pissed all day. lazyest **bleep** move on biowares part oh we dont have budget then go home and do the **bleep** on your own time i would have fired people for stupid **bleep** like that. **bleep** all the controlles are already in the game on xbox and ps3 it cant be that **bleep** hard.

Message 4 of 38 (86,807 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Let's see here...

Six-year old series + Never  had controller support on the PC + No claim or indication that it did + Lots of information on the interwebz that it does not + A link to a 3rd-Party utility that overcomes the majority of the problem = ZERO SYMPATHY.

The gratuitous vulgarities (to include the username) just make it easier to say, "tough."   armscrossed.png

Message 5 of 38 (86,799 Views)

Re: Can't use my Xbox 360 controller to play Mass Effect 1-3 on PC through Origi

★★★ Newbie

Fack yourself. It is tough. But why does EA/bioware keep making choices like this? Doesn't seem like they are very accomodating...

Message 6 of 38 (79,166 Views)

★ Novice

i have the same problem, my pc is hooked in the family room so kb+mouse, is difficult. i tried using xpadder but when ever i moved and looked left simultaneously, a crazy spinning glitch would occur. using two controllers  at the same time with xpadder seems to have fixed the issue. last time i used two controllers to play a game was phantom menace racer on n64 XD

Message 7 of 38 (75,229 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Bioware has lost my confidence in their ability to provide customer service . It seems as though they do not care about their consumers satisfaction, which led me to stop buying there games.  When the next mass effect comes out I will not be purchasing it out of sheer principle. Consumer satisfaction is always  getting set aside as long as thier stock is up and money flowing. I know my one sale will be a spec in a dust storm, but maybe this will further increase your cause to support the consumer.

Message 8 of 38 (73,506 Views)

Hero

@ensureplus wrote:

Bioware has lost my confidence in their ability to provide customer service . It seems as though they do not care about their consumers satisfaction, which led me to stop buying there games.  When the next mass effect comes out I will not be purchasing it out of sheer principle. Consumer satisfaction is always  getting set aside as long as thier stock is up and money flowing. I know my one sale will be a spec in a dust storm, but maybe this will further increase your cause to support the consumer.

@ensureplus 

BioWare doesn't have customer support. EA handles their support at http://help.ea.com/contact-us . BioWare reads feedback on their forums at http://forum.bioware.com . Answer HQ is a community driven forum. The community may point at mods, but we can't include native controller input.

BioWare included controller support in Dragon Age: Inquisition. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Mass Effect will support controllers as well.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 9 of 38 (73,390 Views)

★★★ Novice

This is not true, in BIOSinput.ini there is a string of code under Engine.UIInputConfiguration after the coding for the mouse specifically coded for the Xbox controller, the reason it doesn't work is because, it is suppressed by code, you have to go into the BIOSengine.ini and go down the list until you see Core.Systems where after the save game shortcut, there is a second line of Suppress "name" =True. At the end of that is a bit of code suppressing the use of a game pad. You can either change that to true or go to the top of the suppress list where you will find SuppressMeansUnsuppress=False and change that to True to allow a bunch of fun stuff. After that you will still run into trouble using the right analog. Continue in BIOSengine.ini until you arrive at WinDrv.WindowsClient and at the bottom insert AllowJoystickInput=True

After that you need to make sure the game can understand the analog movement. In BIOSinput.ini make sure under Engine.UIInputConfiguration codes that drive the stick are there, if not, here they are

AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftX,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftY,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Right,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Left)
AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftY,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_LeftX,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Up,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_LeftStick_Down)
AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightX,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightY,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_RightStick_Right,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_RightStick_Left)
AxisEmulationDefinitions=(AxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightY,AdjacentAxisInputKey=XboxTypeS_RightX,bEmulateButtonPress=True,InputKeyToEmulate[0]=Gamepad_RightStick_Up,InputKeyToEmulate[1]=Gamepad_RightStick_Down)

(make sure there all one line after each definition)

Then you need to add binding so that is doesn't go to crazy and will reset to the center, I got mine from some other guy I found through google, but I just stumbled across the suppress codes and I haven't heard anything about it and as far as I've heard no one has gotten the controller to work as well as I have. You still need to chart the buttons and probably keep you keyboard close for the quick keys, but running around and shooting has gotten a whole lot easier.

Anyways, here's that last bit of code to make it work well, but obviously "tweakable"

Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftX",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.3")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftY",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.3")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightX",Command="Axis aTurn Speed=0.2 DeadZone=0.3")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightY",Command="Axis aLookup Speed=0.2 DeadZone=0.3")

Again, put underneath the last bit of code up there if you had that already.

Hope this help, I tried everything and I cant believe it was just a matter of changing a single suppression code.

I thought it was hopeless.

Message 10 of 38 (83,116 Views)