"Failed to initialize the physics system. Please ensure you have an updated version of the PhysX System Software installed."

by Errol246

Original Post

"Failed to initialize the physics system. Please ensure you have an updated version of the PhysX System Software installed."

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I am trying to play Mass Effect 2, but upon starting the game the message ""Failed to initialize the physics system. Please ensure you have an updated version of the PhysX System Software installed" pops up and the game doesn't start.

I realise this is an old issue, but it's still a valid problem apparently. I searched around and tried what most people suggest, which is either installing the Physx version that comes on the cd, or downloading the file and installing it from there. I have done both, and this is what I get when trying to install it:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/teksta.png/

I have no clue what to make of this. Has anybody experienced this before? If so, then please share your wisdom!

I have finished the game twice before on the same computer and same installation of the game, no problem. I have also played and finished Mass Effect 3.

I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. There is nothing called "Nvidia physx" or the like in Ad/remove. I have not tried reinstalling the game, since that would mean I'd have to reinstall all the expansions as well, and I know the problem is not with the game itself (I think).

It makes no difference whether I boot from CD or from Origin.

Please help!

Message 1 of 4 (6,500 Views)

Re: "Failed to initialize the physics system. Please ensure you have an updated version of the PhysX System Software installed."

★★★★★ Expert

Some idiot at Bioware changed the PhysX included with that sequel.  All three would still have worked fine with the same PhysX provided in 1 & 2.  You have to uninstall the one from ME-3, then use the older one that actually work with all of them. 

Message 2 of 4 (6,434 Views)

Re: "Failed to initialize the physics system. Please ensure you have an updated version of the PhysX System Software installed."

★ Novice

Does that mean I can uninstall Mass Effect 3 and then the Physx engine that came with that will be deleted automatically? Or if not, how do I go in directly and remove that Physx engine? Also, do you know what the cause of the "tekst" issue is, and if it still happens after removing the faulty Physx then what do I do?

Message 3 of 4 (6,429 Views)

★ Novice

I have deleted the physx, but the "tekst" thing still appears, and it doesn't install. What do I do?

Message 4 of 4 (6,423 Views)