Re: mass effect 2 crashes

by MadelineMcQueen

Original Post

Accepted Solution

mass effect 2 crashes

★ Novice

mass effect two keeps crashing when i start the game. it gets to the "press any key stage" i press a key and it crashes.

i have tried reinstalling the game and also some things that steam recomended. also i physically cleaned my pc.

i hope you can help me cause i was really loving this game, i would hate to leave it like this

this is the reply from steam which i have tried everything they have recomended

Hello Jasmin,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We apologize for the delay.

NOTE: If you are running in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, please completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator."

You may need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Mass Effect 2 installation folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\mass effect 2\)

You will need to run the following installers:

...\steamapps\common\mass effect 2\redist\vcredist.exe

...\steamapps\common\mass effect 2\redist\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

Then, restart your computer and test the issue again.

If you continue to have difficulty, please also run the following installer:

...\steamapps\common\mass effect 2\redist\PhysX_9.09.0814_SystemSoftware

Reboot once more and test the issue.

Should you still have difficulty, please contact the support team for this title:

Title: Mass Effect 2
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7217-AGZC-5558

Message 1 of 9 (9,917 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

@winnerjaz i had the same problem as u only i saved my game and booted up Mass Effect beat that then tryed to start ME2 n it kept crashing at press any key i was reading ur comment and saw that u saved n that gave me an idea so i went to my Doc folder went to Bioware Mass Effect 2 saves and deleted that botted up Me2 and pressed any key and it work from wat it souned like that a save or something was croupted so delete the save and see if that helped u as it did me dont know if u still come back to check as its 1/17/2014 but let me know anyways so in a way u kinda helped me out when u said the save XD

View in thread

Message 6 of 9 (10,261 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

oops i forgot.

processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU    760 @2.80GHz  2.79GHz

installed memory (RAM):  4.00GB

system type:  64-bit operating system

Message 2 of 9 (9,913 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
Message 3 of 9 (9,904 Views)

★ Novice

Confusedmileysad: sorry thats all anyone else has asked for, i obviously have no idea what im doing

game is mass effect 2 from steam

processorntel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU    760 @2.80GHz  2.79GHz

RAM  4.00GB

64 bit operating system

display adapters ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

sound ATI HIGH DEFINITION DEVICE

operating system is windows 7

The problem started a couple of weeks ago. it just keeps happening when i start the game and before it gets to the main menu when it says press any key. when i press any key it crashes. i have not modified the game

Message 4 of 9 (9,893 Views)

★ Novice

i should also add i have been playing for around 10 hrs before this issue and i had no problems until this one suddenly popped up. first time it happened i paused the game to go make a cup of tea and when i came back it crashed and has continued to crash in the same place i mentioned above. if that helps

Message 5 of 9 (9,890 Views)

★★ Novice

@winnerjaz i had the same problem as u only i saved my game and booted up Mass Effect beat that then tryed to start ME2 n it kept crashing at press any key i was reading ur comment and saw that u saved n that gave me an idea so i went to my Doc folder went to Bioware Mass Effect 2 saves and deleted that botted up Me2 and pressed any key and it work from wat it souned like that a save or something was croupted so delete the save and see if that helped u as it did me dont know if u still come back to check as its 1/17/2014 but let me know anyways so in a way u kinda helped me out when u said the save XD

Message 6 of 9 (10,262 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for your suggestion! I couldn't for the life of me find out what was wrong. I had the exact same problem you guys where having but didn't think that it could have been a corrupted save file. I deleted it and now my game is back up and running! Even though you posted this 4 years ago, it still helps. Thanks again! 

Message 7 of 9 (4,637 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Old solution doesn't mean a bad solution, right @MadelineMcQueen ? Wink

Thanks for digging this up and confirming what worked out for you!

/Ataashi

Message 8 of 9 (4,611 Views)

★★★ Novice

Very True, @EA_Ataashi! The advice still helped me out. :-) 

No worries, thought it would be good to let them know that the advice is still helping. 

Message 9 of 9 (4,601 Views)