Where is Mass Effect 2 Configuration Utility?

by whiskeyrose8

Original Post

Where is Mass Effect 2 Configuration Utility?

★★ Newbie

After finishing ME1 I figured I could just jump into playing ME2 and import my character, so used to 360 saves. However logging to the Me2 it stated something about using a Configuration Utility. Yet looking into the Bioware folder...I can't find anything...I've copied and pasted the saves from Me1's Save file into the Me2's save file. And when I used the software program I used to download it (Origin) it doesn't do anything it comes up "Synching Cloud Data" but then nothing....what did I do wrong? Where can I find this Configuration Utlity? 

Message 1 of 8 (21,149 Views)

Re: Where is Mass Effect 2 Configuration Utility?

Hero

When you start ME2, you should see a splash screen that included a button called 'configure'. If, for some reason, you don't have that, you have to locate the config utility in your installation folder, not the BioWare folder in Documents (commonly made mistake). For instance: Program Files (x86) -> Mass Effect 2 -> Binaries -> MassEffect2Config.exe.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 8 (21,130 Views)

★★ Novice

"After finishing ME1 I figured I could just jump into playing ME2 and import my character, so used to 360 saves. However logging to the Me2 it stated something about using a Configuration Utility. Yet looking into the Bioware folder...I can't find anything...I've copied and pasted the saves from Me1's Save file into the Me2's save file. And when I used the software program I used to download it (Origin) it doesn't do anything it comes up "Synching Cloud Data" but then nothing....what did I do wrong? Where can I find this Configuration Utlity? "

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit) with a HEDT Workstation/Gaming rig built on the Intel X99 chipset. It's pretty bare bones, (though VR Ready), with huge upgrade potential. I'm not sure if it is the OS but, I found the "MassEffect2Config.exe" configuration utility in the file directory: "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Mass Effect 2\Binaries\MassEffect2Config.exe" and, it would not execute. Maybe it is the Kapersky anti-virus but, it typically informs me that it is blocking an executable when I launch it, (if it wants to try to block a program I launch.) More likely, the executable only runs within the Mass Effect program. The work around I used was to copy the player profile in "C:\Users\PC_User\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save\Char_01-40-1-2-3-4-8-2018-30-25.MassEffectSave and pasted it to "C:\Users\PC_User\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save\ME1(Where I created the new folder "ME1" to paste the Character save file into.) I then relaunched Mass Effect 2 and used the import option successfully.

Message 3 of 8 (19,551 Views)

[ Edited ]

@DangItAgainDave

While I appreciate that you're trying to help, the last entry in this thread was over 5 Years ago and this solution is already posted in one of the sticky's of this board.

Please check the date of the entry's before you post. 

Edit: (btw. if you use a x99 you also use a CPU with lots of cores, the config utility don't like CPU's with more than 8 threads.)  Wink

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 8 (19,530 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Yes, I noticed that the last post was not recently made. I replied because the post you mention, made years before mine, was not clear on the need to create the ME1 folder to paste the character save file into and, having found the need to create one for the solution to work, I thought it might yet help people like me, currently looking for the answer to have that additional info, all these years later.

Thank you.

(Note: My system uses a Xeon E5-2630L v4 - Broadwell - with 10 cores and 20 threads. The configuration tool likely doesn't run outside the game anyway, as one post suggested trying in order to get the character save file processed for use in ME2.)

Message 5 of 8 (19,521 Views)

@DangItAgainDave

The post I meant is this one. In the sticky section of this board. ([PC] Importing a save file from Mass Effect 1)

As for the Config Utility, if you reduce the number of processors the system uses inside Windows to 4, the utility will most likely run.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 6 of 8 (19,502 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@DangItAgainDave I want to thank you for the help.
Message 7 of 8 (14,402 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@IervanskeligeJust as a FYI, I upgraded my processor to the Xeon E5-2618L v4. While it too is a hyper-threaded deca-core, like the E5-2630L v4, it has a higher base clock and turbo clock (2.2 and 3.1 Giga-Hertz respectively), the number of cores operating seem to matter not at all to the game's functionality. (I also am running the game through Origin so, they might have - long ago - patched any functionality issues relating to processors running more than 4 cores.) The game, and import utility, work just fine, so long as you create a ME1 save folder in the same directory for ME2 character saves. All that to say, don't worry about disabling CPU cores to run the games, the games are running fine with my 64 bit Intel deca-core CPU's, and 16GB of DDR4 RAM and I'm sure higher cores, or more RAM, won't break it either.
Have fun!

Message 8 of 8 (14,354 Views)