Re: Where can I buy

by Holger1405

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Where can I buy

★ Novice

So I just recently got into the mass effect series, it was one of the many things I had gotten through the steam sale. I've loved 1 and right before suicide mission on 2, but I would much rather finish all side quests and dlc before i finish so that i'm ready to move on to the next ME game, (I know the next one is only on origin as well as andromeda however I have ME2 on steam so this is what i have to work with.) I had deluxe edition, promo key, and game key. The game clearly tells me what I still need to buy and I understand that the deluxe doesnt come with all DLC. That's fine i'll buy it whatever I just want to play it all. However when I click where it says new content available it sends me to a link that is not working. Also old help forums have links that are no longer still up. 

I have it all installed from: https://help.ea.com/en-ca/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games/#masseffect

So what is the word on this? I would MUCH rather pay for it than attempt to get it through shady means. Take all my money please. Just let me purchase the content.

Message 1 of 8 (674 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@Zialua

You can get the DLC here.

However, AFAIK there is no way in the moment to make this DLC bundle work on a Steam game. (see post #8)

That means you need to redeem the Steam CD Keys in Origin (for free) and install the game with Origin.

Edit: Your save games will work in the Origin version of the game as well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (838 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@Zialua

However, AFAIK there is no way in the moment to make this DLC bundle work on a Steam game. (see post #8)

That means you need to redeem the Steam CD Keys in Origin (for free) and install the game with Origin.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 8 (839 Views)

★ Novice

Actually that is incorrect. I bought and downloaded the game from steam. After getting to the point of no return (getting the IFF mission, but not yet doing it). I found out about the dlc in this game which is both not listed in steam or on their version. (You would think the files would at least include the few dlc in the deluxe version I bought. What I had to do was pull up my ancient EA account and register all codes that came with my purchase. After this it was not triggering in game like it should have (if your dlc is active at this point you get alot of unread messages on your private terminal as well as many things added to your journal and galactic map. If you don't trust that land in omega, vaeed will be there automatically when you land.) So I went to the page in the help section for old games it worked but for this in hindsight I would recommend downloading the origin client. It will automatically detect ME2 and and from there you can download and purchase all dlc. I still launch and play this game with the steam launcher to use steam with it and it works perfectly fine. 

I'm leaving this detailed history to help anyone else with this issue. 

Message 3 of 8 (698 Views)

@Zialua

Zaeed (I assume you mean this DLC > vaeed) is a Cerberus network DLC, they will work on a Steam game as well. (You can install them into the steam game with the installers from the side you linked in your first post.)

But do you have this DLCs working as well?

Genesis
Arrival
Overlord
Lair of the Shadow Broker
Kasumi – Stolen Memory
Firepower Pack
Aegis Pack
Equalizer Pack
Alternate Appearance Pack 1 (Garrus, Thane, Jack)
Alternate Appearance Pack 2 (Tali, Grunt, Miranda)

Message 4 of 8 (633 Views)

★ Novice

Yes I have purchased the ones that were not included in deluxe through origin. I would strongly recommend downloading through the origin client instead of the EA help link. It's much cleaner and the only way to purchase dlc for ME2. The EA help link works and will work. However the problem is things like shadow boxer, kasumi, arrival, overlord, even the skin packs, they don't come with deluxe and have to be purchased through the origin client specifically. After you pay for it and have the files installed run ME2 and connect to cerberus network to verify your installs then you are good to go

Message 5 of 8 (623 Views)

@Zialua

@Zialua wrote:

Yes I have purchased the ones that were not included in deluxe through origin. I would strongly recommend downloading through the origin client instead of the EA help link. It's much cleaner and the only way to purchase dlc for ME2. The EA help link works and will work. However the problem is things like shadow boxer, kasumi, arrival, overlord, even the skin packs, they don't come with deluxe and have to be purchased through the origin client specifically. After you pay for it and have the files installed run ME2 and connect to cerberus network to verify your installs then you are good to go

Well yes, and that is pretty much what I said in my first post, isn't it? Wink

Message 6 of 8 (605 Views)

★ Novice

@Holger1405 wrote:

@Zialua

However, AFAIK there is no way in the moment to make this DLC bundle work on a Steam game.

No, you said I would have to install the game on origin and That the dlc would not work in the game.

I didn't have to and it all works. Played though finishing the dlc then game using steam. If you are going to pretend that you said the opposite and lie to someone, use common sense and edit the post that contradicts it. 

Message 7 of 8 (594 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Zialua

First, there is no reason to react aggressive. Also, I will not tolerate that you accuse me of lying. 

I said AFAIK, I assume you know what it means.

Your original question was where you could find the DLCs.

I answered that, I also told you that you need to redeem your Steam keys in Origin, something that is absolutely necessary to get the DLCs to work and something you obliviously did:

"What I had to do was pull up my ancient EA account and register all codes that came with my purchase"

So I gave you the answers you've looking fore.

Now, for the DLCs also working on a Steam installation.

This is a question that comes up on this forum on a regular bases and, if I did not misses something, couldn't get answered by Hero's or CMs with certainty because we all have the DLC already registered at our accounts.    

I testes this on my system and this is the way it worked here.
(Due to different system configurations it might have a different outcome on other systems.)

• Install the game with Steam.
  • Redeem your Steam codes in Origin.
  • Restart Origin
  • Origin now should have detected the Steam installation and should say "Play" in the game library.
  • If you don't have it already, buy the "Mass Effect 2 DLC Bundle" (If you don't have the bundle only the Cerberus Network DLCs will be downloadable)
  • Download the DLC with Origin. Origin saved the DLC to the ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mass Effect 2\BioGame\DLC" folder on my system.
    (Due to the fact that The DLCs are not in the folder Origin expected them to be, at my system all the DLC did go into queue right after download. That means you must start the download of the next DLC In Origin by hand, if this also happens to you. (Add to queue > Download now)
  • After you downloaded all the DLCs, close Origin > Open Steam > Start the game > Log on to the "Cerberus Network"

I tested with several DLCs and they seem to work flawless.

Still, all in all it is way easier to install the main game with Origin in the first place.

Message 8 of 8 (560 Views)