Weapon loadout: how does to work?

by Lynos200

Original Post

Weapon loadout: how does to work?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Could someone be kind enough to explain to me how does the weapon loadout/weapon assignment work in this game?

Before every mission I get a list of several weapons for each character, some of the weapons are highlighted, some are greyed. I assume the greyed ones are not available for whatever reason, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I choose the weapons I want, I go back to the game, and I still have the same two weapons I had before. It seems like nothing I choose in the loadout screen has any effect on the game.

There are also no stats whatsoever, nothing to indicate which weapon is better than others, or to explain which weapons I can or can't use. I am still early in the game, but the whole weapon mechanics has been completely overhauled and are very unclear. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4 (1,037 Views)

Re: Weapon loadout: how does to work?

@Lynos200

Lynos200 wrote:

Before every mission I get a list of several weapons for each character, some of the weapons are highlighted, some are greyed. I assume the greyed ones are not available for whatever reason, but I could be wrong.

That some Weapons are not available is probably because of your characters class. For example, only Soldiers and Infiltrators can use Sniper-rifles.

Later in game you can add one missing weapon specialization (Sniper-rifles or Shotgun or Assault Rifles) for other classes.

Lynos200 wrote:

Anyway, I choose the weapons I want, I go back to the game, and I still have the same two weapons I had before. It seems like nothing I choose in the loadout screen has any effect on the game.

So, just to verify, in the load-out screen, you choose your character > then you choose the Weapons class > then you select the weapon > then you click on "Accept" (ENTER will not work) > then you "Exit"?

Do you use any Mods?

Did you tried to repair the game? (in Origin > Game Library > right click ME2 > Repair)

Lynos200 wrote:

There are also no stats whatsoever, nothing to indicate which weapon is better than others, or to explain which weapons I can or can't use. I am still early in the game, but the whole weapon mechanics has been completely overhauled and are very unclear. 

The discribtion of the specific weapon will give you an idea about which one is better and which one is worse.

For detailed info: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 4 (1,020 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Thank you for your help and for the link.

Yup, I finally figured it out. After posting this I realized I could see all my weapons in the Powers bar (when you use LEFT SHIFT), and that the Loadout only matters if there are 2 types or more of the same weapon. Otherwise the weapons appear automatically and you have to highlight your main weapon in blue to use it. I also figured out that the grey weapons are simply weapons which have only one option, and not weapons unavailable to you. Probably would've been better if they used a different color scheme. So the Loadout lets you choose your options and then in-game you can switch between two weapons (I guess the one I choose and then the one I used before that...?)

So basically the game switched genres. It feels less like an RPG since the weapons have no stats. Reading descriptions to decide what's better is a bit clunky. Also, apparently in the two years Sheppard was asleep, the entire weapon technology in the galaxy has been completely overhauled. :-)

But I think once you figure out the new system and get used to it then it's fine, and I do like the Research addition.

Message 3 of 4 (1,003 Views)

@Lynos200

It depends on the class how many weapons you can carry.

As a Solder you can carry 5 different Weapons (Sniper rifle, Assault rifle, Shotgun, Pistol and a heave weapon), as an infiltrator 4, (Sniper rifle, Submachine gun, Pistol and a heavy weapon) classes who focus on powers can only carry 3 Weapons, (later in game 4 / Pistol, Submachine gun or Shotgun and a heavy weapon.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 4 (996 Views)