Re: Kasumi: Stolen Memory DLC Crashing at the end of loyalty mission. (possible

by lamonsterzone

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Is there any help from EA for this? I cannot get past this mission. I have tried wiping Mass Effect 2 from my computer thrice now and reinstalled the game and DLCs. No mods, no edited files. Added the  -nomoviestartup parameter to the shortcut target has not worked (tried doing this to MassEffect2.exe, ME2Game.exe, and its Origin game properties). I have tried running as administrator, I have tried running in compatability mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3, I have tried repairing the game via Origin. Still no progress.

The only thing that had any effect was adding  -nomoviestartup to the target, which only succeeded in making the crash to black screen change to a crash to a white screen.

I have verified that drivers are up to date.

I am using an Origin copy of the game. Buying the ME trilogy on Origin has been my first experiment in trying EA's service and I can't say it's been a good experience.

Any other help would be great, otherwise I'll defer to glyphmoon's workaround (while I'm glad it's there I find the fact that I would need to jump through so many hoops for a bandage solution to be more than a little vexatious).

Windows 8.1 64-bit

I7 4790k

Asus nVidia GTX 970 STRIX

16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz

[Edit]

Well, this is awkward. I decided fourth time was the charm and tried one more uninstall-ccleaner-reinstall and gave it a go. Worked. The one time I get frustrated enough to actually post about a problem and it gets resolved just an hour later. Carry on, Internet, carry on.

Message 11 of 86 (18,944 Views)

★ Apprentice
You won't get any help from EA. Your best shot was and will always be here on the forums where people give workarounds. Glad that it worked though^^.
Message 12 of 86 (18,918 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You have to be kidding right? All this BS to fix a game that the makers should support or not sell it at all. What a load of filth.I am not doing jack* to fix the prob. If I payed for it (which I did) and it does not work (meaning that if it has an error then they need to download a hotfix to you immediatly and go to work on a proper patch forthwith) then I dont want the * thing at all and you can shove it. Simple as. Do it right or take your * and * off.

There will be no further downloads from origin until this * is resolved one way or the other.

FFS read this * would you.

QUOTE "I've tried everything that thread suggested and even the "add parameter" fix didn't work. They seemed to think that the problem was that the game was trying to use a loading screen that wasn't there. So my next step is trying to replace that loading screen with another one. Though I think it won't work."

And you think this is OK?

Message 13 of 86 (18,668 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Okay, I'm at my wits end with this.  Does it matter what choices you make?

Should I run as admin even if I'm an admin?  Should I have Origin open at the start?  

Any other tricks not mentioned that got this to work?

edit: finally found a fix here!  https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/33etqa/origin_fix_for_nomoviestartup_command/

Message 14 of 86 (18,652 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for sharing this link!  I've been wrestling with this for a couple months and this solution worked like a charm on first try!  I cut and paste Old Kentucky Shark's solution into Notepad and keeping a copy in the ME2 directory. Ya know EA or Bioware won't patch the problem anytime soon!

Message 15 of 86 (18,397 Views)

★ Apprentice

A reply to an old post for Steam users, but I had the same issue when I reinstalled ME 2 and all the DLC with steam. And what worked for me was to view the library< right click on the game < select properties < then click on Set Launch Properties< then type -nomoviestartup  in the blank field < Click OK and launch the game.

Message 16 of 86 (18,285 Views)

★ Novice

@parowOOz wrote:

Well I might as well share my solution. I actually had to make a shortcut but for ME2Game.exe with the added modifier: -nomoviestartup. I didn't have to reinstall anything. Making a shortcut t MassEffect2.exe or changing launch options in Origin did not help.

Hope this helps

Thank you. I tried all the "solutions" other people shared.  This one the one that works. Saved me further head ache. Thank you again!

Message 17 of 86 (18,219 Views)

★ Novice

THANK YOU SO MUCH-YOUR SOLUTION WORKES!!

Message 18 of 86 (18,071 Views)

★ Novice

THANK YOU SO MUCH - BAKGRIND - YOUR SOLUTION WORKES!!

Message 19 of 86 (18,070 Views)

★ Novice

Hi guys,

had the Same issue with The Stolen Memory and the Lair of the Shadowbroker DLC's

i play mass effect in Origin and no fix i found here or on reddit realy helped.

What worked for me was simply make a shortcut to the ME2game.exe and add the -nomoviestartup variable there and everything was up and running =)

Message 20 of 86 (17,881 Views)