Re: How to transfer ME1 Shepard to ME2?

by Drum174

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PS3] How to transfer ME1 Shepard to ME2?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I purchased the Mass Effect PS3 Trilogy when it was released.

I have just had the pleasure of beating the first Mass Effect. When I press the "Resume" option in ME1, I reload to a save before a fight with Saren/Sovereign. (The battle starts right away!)

When I start the second Mass Effect, where is the option to import my Shepard from ME1? Did I have to do something in the first game to have access to this option? I really would like to see my same Shepard!

More Info:

When I press "New Game" in ME2, the options I have are: Male or Female.

I hit male since my ME1 Shepard is a male. When it comes to character creation time I looked for an import option and couldn't find it.

~~~~I just downloaded the patch. My internet was faster than expected! IT WORKS!

Where exactly should the option come up? In the title screen? Or during character creation?

Does this have anything to do with the 1.04 ME2 update? I haven't downloaded that since my internet is slow at the moment.

Message 1 of 11 (30,879 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

I added the [PS3] tag to the title to make the platform more visible for everyone.

Players on PS3 have to patch their ME2 game in order to transfer the save. Just connect to the PSN and the patch should download automatically.

The reason for this: ME1 is new on PS3, the port was made for the launch of the Trilogy. Prior to that ME2 on PS3 had no option to import saves, it only had Mass Effect: Genesis as a downloadable interactive backstory comic produced by Dark Horse Comics (the comic was later made available for PC and Xbox too).

Now that we have ME1 on PS3 as well, you have to patch your ME2 to "get rid" of the comic and get the choice to import your save instead.

Hope that helps!

Ursula

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png

View in thread

Message 5 of 11 (33,276 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

Under "New Game" in ME2, you may have up to 4 options: "New Male", "New Female", "Import ME1 character" and "Import ME2 character".

In order for the "Import ME1 character" to appear, you need to first start the ME2 configuration tool from the launcher. In the menu on the left of that window is a line that says "Save Games". You need to click on that and then the button "Copy Mass Effect 1 save games". This will copy the needed files from a completed ME1 game into the correct folder in the ME2 folder structure and allow the Import option to appear under "New Game" in ME2.

The "Import ME2 character" appears once you've completed the ME2 campaign.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Message 2 of 11 (30,806 Views)

★★ Novice

I have had similar problems with transfering my ME1 character to ME2. My system is XP and I have the Trilogy version. I played ME1 to completion and started an ME2 game with about 10 hours of gameplay and just wanted to see the differnces with a new ME2 game with a charater transfer.

I have followed all the recomneded steps you outlined with no success.

As I understand the process, the ME1 folder created by the Configuration Tool in the ME2 Save folder also transfers a System Information XML document. I have not read any mention of this XML Document anywhere or whether or not it needs to be moved somewhere other than the ME2 Save folder.

For me, the ME2 Configuration Tool only creates an empty folder named "ME1" and the System Information XML document. There are other steps though. This ME1 folder needs a file or files from which the character transfer process must draw from, namely a Charater file from ME1. As recomended by the site Masseffectsaves.com, I have tried manually copying just the Character file from my ME1 and after that did not work I copied all of the saves except, as recomended by other forums, the Profile file. This did not work either.

To be more correct, what did not work for me was after I did all of the above and clicked to play ME2, Origin said the Save files were out of sync. Either option, Cloud saves or my PC saves, did not launch the game. I still cannot find where the problem is with this.

Where should the System Information XML document end up?

Message 3 of 11 (30,788 Views)

★★★ Novice

Guys he/she has it for ps3, not PC....

Message 4 of 11 (30,775 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

I added the [PS3] tag to the title to make the platform more visible for everyone.

Players on PS3 have to patch their ME2 game in order to transfer the save. Just connect to the PSN and the patch should download automatically.

The reason for this: ME1 is new on PS3, the port was made for the launch of the Trilogy. Prior to that ME2 on PS3 had no option to import saves, it only had Mass Effect: Genesis as a downloadable interactive backstory comic produced by Dark Horse Comics (the comic was later made available for PC and Xbox too).

Now that we have ME1 on PS3 as well, you have to patch your ME2 to "get rid" of the comic and get the choice to import your save instead.

Hope that helps!

Ursula

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 5 of 11 (33,277 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have ME1 2 and 3 but I bought it from the PSN and 2 and 3 I have the disk version. Does anyone know if this will make a difference?

Message 6 of 11 (28,760 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I bought ME1 as a download from the PSN store. I subseuqently finished ME1, then bought ME Trilogy on disc.

I can confirm that ME2 disc from the Trilogy is not seeing my ME1 saves. It has the menu option for import from ME1 but the list is blank when selected.

Quite disappointing.

Message 7 of 11 (27,541 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Message 8 of 11 (18,934 Views)

★★★ Newbie

EA hi. Your solution to this prolem does not help, does not see ME2 saves ME1, although the patch was installed, if there is any solutions to this problem, i ask you to help.

Message 9 of 11 (18,931 Views)

★ Novice

It is 2016. I can confirm that the patch that is supposed to 'fix everything' for the PS3 does not work. No matter what I try (and I have been searching all the forums for a full YEAR and tried EVERYTHING), all I see when I select the "Import ME1 Character" option is a blank box, even though I have finished the first Mass Effect multiple times, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. Please, PLEASE, all I want to do is to play this game. With MY character. Not with the default Renegade. EA, fix it.

Message 10 of 11 (18,548 Views)