Re: [PS3]Audio FXs being off cue / lagging (AUDIO out of SYNC)

by alexaka1000

Original Post

[PS3]Audio FXs being off cue / lagging (AUDIO out of SYNC)

★★★★ Novice
I can't believe it's been 5 years since the PS3 release. The game holds up so well.

Anyway if you played Mass Effect 2 on ps3 you know about the audio lag. The first noticeable example is on Freedom's Progress during the YMIR Mech attack, bullet impact being off sync with visuals, explosions, FXs too etc.

BioWare denied this problem for 5 years and refused to do anything about it. Today I found the long awaited solution, but you're not going to like this.
You probably all bought this game day one, so you have a physical version of it. That is the problem.

Tl;dr: Digital version doesn't have the audio lag.

Here's why: The disc version only installs about 4 gigs onto the hard drive, however the digital download is about 12 gigs (with no patches) so you can see that the remaining 8 gigs is being read from the Blu-Ray with the disc version. This is the problem, it's not optimized properly and the system can't read audio fast enough to keep up with visuals (audio being compressed, which is standard procedure for games).
Now the digital version doesn't have this. I can confirm it as of this moment right now. (At least Freedom's Progress is good, will have to play through the rest of the game to see the rest, but I assume it'll be good).

I decided to replay the series again, but since I have PS plus, a couple of months ago I got ME2 with it. So I decided to delete my disc install and download the digital version (so I don't have to switch discs, i know, first world problems)
And to my surprise the audio issues were not present.
I'll spare you the technical stuff, but you should know for a computer to read something from the HDD is much much faster than to read it from a disc. This is probably why the problem is only present with the physical release.

(I don't know about the dialogue being cut off, haven't occurred yet, I'll post an update if I encounter it.)

Thanks for reading.
Imagine a Kawaii Shepard Potato.
Message 1 of 2 (1,208 Views)

Re: [PS3]Audio FXs being off cue / lagging (AUDIO out of SYNC)

★★★★ Novice
Dialogue cut offs: They're still present, unfortunately. Still random, so it has to do with the coding, probably. Well, this is less important for me than the audio being out of sync.
Message 2 of 2 (1,204 Views)