[PC] - Mass Effect 2 full system crash every 10-30 minutes.

by Prince_Bubblgum

Original Post

Highlighted

[PC] - Mass Effect 2 full system crash every 10-30 minutes.

★★★ Newbie

I am having an issue with both Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 1. Exact same issue with both.

Game seems to run fine, but every 30 minutes or so it freezes up entirely. The picture and sound stutter for a very brief second, then the screen goes black and the last fraction of a second of sound loops, causing a buzzing sound to come out of the headphones. At that point, nothing responds. I can't Alt-tab, Ctrl-alt-del, alt-ent, etc, nothing works. All I can do is hold down my power button and force a restart. Very annoying.

I have tried many things. Complete uninstalls and reinstalls of both, tried with or without mods, max graphic settings, lowest settings, full screen, windowed, repaired in Origin. Reinstalled video card drivers, DirectX, redistributals, etc. ,

I would consider a hardware issue, but, I just tested Shadow of the Tomb Raider, high settings, and it runs perfect, no crashes, for over an hour. That game is a decade newer and far, far, more hardware intensive. If something was failing, it should happen during that game too. In fact, no other games or software are causing this crash, and I use my PC a lot.

I checked Event viewer and tried the DXdiag, but there is no entries for Mass Effect in either. I only see notices about me forcing the restart.

Message 1 of 3 (554 Views)

Re: [PC] - Mass Effect 2 full system crash every 10-30 minutes.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Prince_Bubblgum;  You didn't provide your DXDiag report, (which might have helped) but I'm suspecting a hardware issue.  Most likely cause based on the reported symptoms is a GPU or sound driver problem, but without more info it's hard to say what's happening.

[EDIT: Saying this-or-that other game "runs fine" is pointless.  Unless it uses the exact same game engine, it doesn't tell us anything at all about the one having the problem.]

Message 2 of 3 (540 Views)

Re: [PC] - Mass Effect 2 full system crash every 10-30 minutes.

Hero

@Prince_Bubblgum wrote:

I would consider a hardware issue, but, I just tested Shadow of the Tomb Raider, high settings, and it runs perfect, no crashes, for over an hour. That game is a decade newer and far, far, more hardware intensive. If something was failing, it should happen during that game too. In fact, no other games or software are causing this crash, and I use my PC a lot.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider runs on the Foundation Engine. Mass Effect runs on Unreal Engine 3. Do you have issues with other Unreal Engine 3 games?

I agree with ThandalNLyman that it's best you share a dxdiag file. It could reveal a lot.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 3 (515 Views)