Re: [PC] Importing a save file from Mass Effect 1

by magjac

Original Post

★ Apprentice

You either use the config utility (mine is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries) go to import save or save (I can't remember the option) select Documents folder where your ME1 save is and that's it, nothing will happen in the ME2 config utility but once you open MAss Effect 2 the save will be there to be imported.

OR you can manually copy and paste into the Mass Effect 2 folder your Mass Effect 1 Save  (it starts with char_) and create a folder called ME1 inside MAss Effect 2 save folder and paste the save there. It may seem complicated but it's fairly easy.

Message 81 of 165 (6,114 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Listen friends, I bought this game on November 24th, 2015.

Right now, it's November 28th of the same year.

So let's play this straight, because your patch doesn't exist.

How do I import my Shepard?

Message 82 of 165 (6,104 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I go to the appointed files and when i get to binaries it shows nothing it also tells me that it is empty. What do I do ?

Message 83 of 165 (6,056 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

It took me a couple of days to figure this out, but the solution was quite simple -  At first i run the config.utility as noted above, but the game wouldn't open so i had to download it again from Origin. Running the config, all it did was to create an empty ME1 folder in the Mass Effect 2 Docs directory.

So in our docs, we find the BIOWARE save game folders. I have the trilogy so in my docs under BIOWARE i have 3 folders one for each game. Mass Effect - Mass Effect 2 - Mass effect 3.

Opening the Mass Effect folder i have 4 subfolders (Config-Logs-Published and Save). In the SAVE the first files should start as Char_......These  are the chars created so far.

These Chars.... files  I copied them In the ME1 - folder created in the Mass Effect 2 SAVE Folder.

Simple as that, hope i have helped.

Message 84 of 165 (6,042 Views)

★★★ Newbie

JonatasA wrote:

You either use the config utility (mine is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries) go to import save or save (I can't remember the option) select Documents folder where your ME1 save is and that's it, nothing will happen in the ME2 config utility but once you open MAss Effect 2 the save will be there to be imported.

OR you can manually copy and paste into the Mass Effect 2 folder your Mass Effect 1 Save  (it starts with char_) and create a folder called ME1 inside MAss Effect 2 save folder and paste the save there. It may seem complicated but it's fairly easy.

Thanks!

The config utility did not run. All I was missing was the ME1 folder name under saves.

Message 85 of 165 (5,953 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

To Help clarify, the section were you are in documents looking for the bio ware folder it is specifically in the "My Documents" folder. This tripped me up a little bit.

Message 86 of 165 (5,923 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

Me too! Please if someone can help it would be must appreciated.

Message 87 of 165 (5,836 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I did all of that and the folder under program files 86, origin games is absolutely, completely empty. I use my friend's origin account, since I don't have my own, and the games are all installed on my computer... I've also completely beaten ME1. I'm seriously at wit's end, WHY do they make this so difficult? I don't even have the option to load a previous save when I open ME2, just "new game". I don't get a splash screen, so there's no config option either. 

Message 88 of 165 (5,722 Views)

OK lets start from the beginning.

What OS are you running? The save game location depend on it.

The save games are not in ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\BIOGame" they are in your "Documents" or "my documents" folder under "BioWare\Mass Effect\Save" or respectively "\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save"

Do this folder exist in your  "Documents" or "my documents" folder?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 89 of 165 (5,714 Views)

★★ Novice

I have spent countless hours searching the web desperately trying to fine the answer in vein it seems.
The config utility breaks the game so after running it as admin I go to the origin launcher and select to repair the game. That runs perfectly fine and repairs it, I go to the save directory for ME2 and go to 'saves' -> 'ME1' and my char file is there (the file the game creates with your completed character with the date completed as part of the file name). I go to the binaries folder in my 'origin games' folder for ME2 and run the MassEffect2 game as admin. It loads up fine but when I go to import my ME1 character it says that it's not there and to use the config utility to import my save. 

I have also tried deleting the ME1 folder from the ME2 save folder, create it manually and copy the char file from the ME1 saves dir. over to the ME1 save folder inside the ME2 save dir. still not able to import my game.

Message 90 of 165 (5,628 Views)