Re: [PC] Importing a save file from Mass Effect 1

by Stormsoldier19

Original Post

★★★★★ Apprentice

What I have done is this:  in the configuration utility (which should be from the file with the cerberus logo) you will see the list of options down one side. Click on save game. This will show you a bar with something like save mass effect game. Click on that. This should bring up a browse window. Scroll and find your game you want to import. They usually have a long string of numbers and maybe the characters name. Click on that file and hopefully it will find it. If not then go into your Bioware folder and manually those files into ME2 folder - save games and try again. It is a nightmare. Hope this helps - otherwise I will cross my fingers for a computer miracle

Spoiler

Message 71 of 165 (7,090 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I found the file that I was supposed to copy. It's designated as a mass effect save file, it starts with "char_" then lists the other string of numbers. I copied that file and put it into the save folder of Mass Effect 2 in a folder called ME1. When I start the game it still gives me no options to import a file like it should. I'm currently reinstalling the game and seeing if that works but I'm doubtful. Any idea why the files aren't imported correctly?

Message 72 of 165 (6,791 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have a different problem, I have my characters loaded in and when I go to the in-game  "import character" menu, I select my Shepard and click "import character" at the bottom left, nothing happens. I have read every thread and cannot seem to find anyone with the same issue.

Thanks, Alex

Message 73 of 165 (6,780 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Malmantwo wrote:

I found the file that I was supposed to copy. It's designated as a mass effect save file, it starts with "char_" then lists the other string of numbers. I copied that file and put it into the save folder of Mass Effect 2 in a folder called ME1. When I start the game it still gives me no options to import a file like it should. I'm currently reinstalling the game and seeing if that works but I'm doubtful. Any idea why the files aren't imported correctly?

I thought there were two of those character files per character. Try both in the ME1 save file and see if that works. If you only have the one then I'm sorry.

Message 74 of 165 (6,760 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Hello, I have been having this same issue but the save file is not showing up so I can copy it to the save utility. I have tried everything, creating a new save file in the ME2 file directory and everything and still my save file is not showing up and I don't know how to fix it please help.

Message 75 of 165 (6,738 Views)

★★★ Novice

I bought the Trilogy on Amazon and downloaded using Origin. I followed the steps above and it did not work. I tried the alternative method. 

I did the following and did not work for me:

1. Started Mass Effect 1

2. Resumed my last save which was an auto-save just before you beat the game. 

3. Watched the ending credits and allowed the game to return to the main menu

4. Exited the game

5. Went to the 'Mass Effect' folder under 'My Documents' -> 'Bioware' -> 'Mass Effect' and found the 'save' folder

6. Copied all the contents of the Mass Effect 1 save folder (including the manual saves)

7. Went to the 'Mass Effect 2' folder under 'Bioware' in 'My Documents'

8. Found the folder 'save' folder and opened it. 

9. Created a folder 'ME1' 

10. Added copied files from the 'Mass Effect' 1 save folder into the 'ME1' folder

11. Located the MassEffect2Config utility and selected the folder 'ME1" in the Mass Effect 2 save folder

12. Started the game, selected 'New Game'. DID NOT WORK.

I did the following and worked for me:

I opened up Origin. Right-clicked on Mass Effect 2 and selected 'Repair Game'. 

Repeated 1-8

On 9: Instead of naming the folder 'ME1' I named the folder 'Mass Effect 1'

Proceeded to step 10

On 11: Instead of selecting the 'ME1' folder, 'Mass Effect 1' folder was selected 

On 12: Started the game, selected 'New Game' and found 2 careers. Both of the recently completed character.

I am unsure if it is because I did a repair of Mass Effect 2 OR it is because I renamed the save folder. 

The 'Mass Effect 1' folder has two files of the completed career, whereas the 'ME1' save folder only has one. So I am unsure what the problem was. Only that repairing the game and creating a folder 'Mass Effect 1' worked.

Right now I have 3 folders in the Mass Effect 2 save folder. One is of my recent career, one named 'ME1' and the other 'Mass Effect 1'

Message 76 of 165 (6,707 Views)

★★★ Novice

@sargonofakkad1 wrote:

I have a different problem, I have my characters loaded in and when I go to the in-game  "import character" menu, I select my Shepard and click "import character" at the bottom left, nothing happens. I have read every thread and cannot seem to find anyone with the same issue.

Thanks, Alex

I have this exact same problem.

I see my character but the "import character" button does nothing at all.

Any ideas?

Message 77 of 165 (6,680 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hey 

I did ewerithing you wrote but masseffect2config did not open. What could I do to get it started?

Message 78 of 165 (6,612 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Sorry, but none of what you claimed should happen did.

I did this:

Program Files* - Origin Games - Mass Effect 2 - Binaries - MassEffect2Config

but it would not open or give me any options whatsoever.

I have tried everything you suggested but nothing but a complete fail.

What the hell am I supposed to do?  Is windows 8 so horrible it won't allow it?

Message 79 of 165 (6,614 Views)

★★★ Newbie

And how the hell do you manually do that?

Message 80 of 165 (6,617 Views)