Re: [PC] Importing a save file from Mass Effect 1

by WalksTheEdge

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

I just want to thank you, I've been doing research for a long time to import my ME1 char on ME2, but couldn't find a proper answer, i seriously don't know why they didn't put the save folder where Mass Effect is installed.

Had to finish the ME trilogy without my ME 1 char, but i will be able to do so for my new char, thank you so much

Message 61 of 165 (5,721 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@Qstyger Thanks! it definitely was the "missing step" in all this manoeuver Confusedmileyhappy: (for me at least).

I had tried both to copy manually my ME1 saves and to use the config tool in the binaries but it didn't work and the game wouldn't run at all.

Now after many a trial I was finally able to fix this issue by doing the repair part in addition to the steps described by Fred on the 1st page of this thread.

Again thanks to you both!

For info : I use ME1 UK  bought at Gamersgate and ME2 in Origin version.

Message 62 of 165 (5,690 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This helped me fix the problem, but I'm confused why situation even occurred in the first place.  The product should work without having to do this.  I'm partly wondering where to place blame.

Message 63 of 165 (5,651 Views)

Hero

@WalksTheEdge wrote:

This helped me fix the problem, but I'm confused why situation even occurred in the first place.  The product should work without having to do this.  I'm partly wondering where to place blame.

There were always guides, first on the BioWare forum and now on Answer HQ. Unfortunately, the manual just says "start the game, import a character, and play", which is simply wrong. I guess they just copied the manual from the Xbox 360 version and replaced the word Xbox with PC.

Luckily, ME3's import process is seamless.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 64 of 165 (5,645 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Tried to use Config. Doesn't work.

Tried to manually move save files. Doesn't work.

Please help.

Message 65 of 165 (5,629 Views)

Hero

@Ragnarr12 wrote:

Tried to use Config. Doesn't work.

Tried to manually move save files. Doesn't work.

Please help.

Maybe ME2 can't find an endgame save. Play through the final boss again and maybe that will fix it.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 66 of 165 (5,620 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This was so helpful! Standard smile

Message 67 of 165 (5,410 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i keep getting a "please run the configuration utility to copy your save games to the appropriate location" message and i don't necessarily understand what i need to do to fix this. i have found the MassEffect2Config but i don't know what to do with that. 

Message 68 of 165 (5,389 Views)

★ Novice

just make sure ME 2 is not running when you do this

Message 69 of 165 (5,356 Views)

★ Novice

Dude you are a life saver!! I did exactly as you said, however I ran into a problem with the save file. I remembered that my bf told me to copy the Char file into something so all I had to do was move the Char file into one of the two folders that was showing up in my copy saves box and it worked! Thank you so much!

Message 70 of 165 (5,343 Views)