Re: [PC] Importing a save file from Mass Effect 1

by 100lighness

Original Post

Anonymous

How did you figure it out? Maybe the rest of us would like to save some time and learn from your experience.

Message 41 of 165 (6,823 Views)

Anonymous

After following these tips you will need to run the repair option from Origin by right clicking on the ME2 icon from within Origin. If you don't then the game won't run.

Message 42 of 165 (6,823 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Good day,

despite the fact that I just completed downloading Mass Effect 2, I hope you still have the time and will to help me.

I have downloaded Mass Effect 1 via Steam and Mass Effect 2 via Origin.

I did exactly as you instructed, but i can't open MassEffect2Config.exe (only MassEffectConfig.exe, which is the one from the first game).

I tried opening it as an administrator, it simply does nothing.

Am I doing something wrong here?

I would be very happy if you could give me an advice.

Thank you.

Lighness

Message 43 of 165 (6,811 Views)

★★★ Newbie

No where in the folder does it say mass effect configsave game. Bro are you sure you're giving the correct info?

Message 44 of 165 (6,763 Views)

Hero

@Sodubiyi wrote:

No where in the folder does it say mass effect configsave game. Bro are you sure you're giving the correct info?

Is this in reply to me? I don't think I used the term "mass effect configsave game".

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 45 of 165 (6,755 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I followed the steps, used the config tool to import my save from M.E. 1. The game said that the cloud save was conflicting with the local save, so I chose the local save (since that was my M.E. 1 one).

Now Mass Effect 2 won't even start at all. 

EDIT: Wait, according to this: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-2/Need-Info-from-players-ME2-crashing-not-starting-after-import..., the config utility itself breaks the game, and I'm going to have to reinstall the entire damn thing.

Message 46 of 165 (6,705 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@Fred_vdp wrote:

Since the release of the trilogy edition, many people have asked how to import save files from ME1.

Finding the configuration utility

If you installed the game through Origin, the configuration utility should be located here: Program Files* - Origin Games - Mass Effect 2 - Binaries - MassEffect2Config

(* Program Files x86 on a 64-bit OS)

If you have the retail copy, you can find the Config utility through the game's launcher. If you got the game from Steam, you have to look for it in the Steam folder. In any event, the config utility is in the Binaries folder in the installation directory. There is also a Binaries folder in the Documents directory, but that's the wrong one.

Locating the ME1 save folder

Open MassEffect2Config and go to 'Save Games'. Then click 'Copy Mass Effect 1 Save Games'.

You then have to locate the folder with ME1 saves. By default, this is Documents - BioWare - Mass Effect - Save.

Select the folder and click OK. It doesn't appear as if anything happened at all, but it should be fine now. Start ME2, and you will be able to import your save file from ME1.

Mass Effect 3 doesn't require these steps.

Message 47 of 165 (6,675 Views)

★ Novice

I have the same problem right now. So, when you say "reinstall the entire damn thing" you mean the whole trilogy or just ME2?

Message 48 of 165 (6,676 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just got this working so I'm gonna be real brief.  As far as I know this works for those who installed the trilogy on Origin as I did.

Follow the instructions in the first post.  After you used the configuration utility, run ME2 from origin.   When prompted, choose to sync from LOCAL saves NOT the cloud save option.  After this you will realize that the game will not run at all.  Simply go back to origin, right click Mass Effect 2, and click the REPAIR option.  It takes about 5 minutes to complete.  Now you can run Mass effect 2 properly and be able to import your ME1 saves when prompted.  Good luck.

Message 49 of 165 (6,589 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi,  What if you havea 32Bit Windows 7? Can that still lunch? Because whenever I lunch it doesn't work. I have done all of the steps but it still doesn't lunch the game. I will try try the ofline mode.

Message 50 of 165 (6,584 Views)