Re: [PC] Importing a save file from Mass Effect 1

by Fred_vdp

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PC] Importing a save file from Mass Effect 1

[ Edited ]
Hero

This guide applies to the original release, not the Legendary Edition.

Since the release of the trilogy edition, many people have asked how to import save files from ME1.

Finding the configuration utility

MassEffect2Config.exe is located in the Binaries folder in the game's installation directory. If you installed the game from the EA app, the default location will be C:\Program Files\EA Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries. If you have multiple disks, it might not be on the C drive.

There is also a Binaries folder in the Documents directory, but that's the wrong one.

Locating the ME1 save folder

Open MassEffect2Config and go to 'Save Games'. Then click 'Copy Mass Effect 1 Save Games'.

You then have to locate the folder with ME1 saves. The default location is Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save.

Select the folder and click OK. It doesn't appear as if anything happened at all, but it should be fine now. Start ME2, and you will be able to import your save file from ME1.

Mass Effect 3 doesn't require these steps.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 1 of 165 (428,602 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@thingy1804

If your question is about importing ME1 characters to ME2 do this:

Navigate to your "Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save" folder and create a folder named "ME1" (Without the quotes) inside the "Save" Folder.

After you finished ME1, copy the Mass Effect Saves from the Mass Effect save folder ("Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save") into the "ME1" folder you created.

Now ME2 should "see" your ME1 characters.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 117 of 165 (258,130 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

Opened up the Binaries and it is empty.

Message 2 of 165 (427,340 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Hero

The binaries folder contains crucial game data, including the game's executable file. If it's empty, you can't play the game. Are you sure you're in the binaries folder in the installation folder and not under Documents? The latter is supposed to be empty.

Message 3 of 165 (427,314 Views)

★★★ Novice

Did this. Now the game won't open...Origin just tries to sync and then nothing.

Message 4 of 165 (427,286 Views)

Hero

And what if you start Origin in offline mode?

Message 5 of 165 (427,280 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Uninstall and reinstall the game. DON'T use the configurator tool. Manually import the savefile you want, and it should work. The problem is definitely in the config.exe file.

(i don't know if i understood correctly what the problem is)

Message 6 of 165 (427,278 Views)

★★★ Novice

It can't find it when I try to manually import my saved games. Or how would I do that?

Message 7 of 165 (427,268 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Legacy Edition

My ME2 Disk 1 was doing the same getting error while trying to install at around 37% so I Downloaded the game took 22 1/2 hours due to slow speed,worked fine then tried to import my ME1 saved game into ME2 with the MasseffectConfig programe now the game wont start...just sync's and does nothing else online or not online.

When I run the reinstall/repair option it tries to download all the DLC content thats another 9+gigs apparaently even after I have moved the DLC,Bonus folder's to a diff. location and unticked the update game/Origin auto.....

After doing some search's to see if I can fix the above I have found out this issue with the Masseffectconfig has been ongoing for over 3 years !!  Link

I mean WTH and seems the only way to get the game to work is to uninstall and then reinstall the whole game .......

Message 8 of 165 (427,253 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I downloaded it with the Trilogy box set and i still can't find it.

Message 9 of 165 (427,115 Views)

★★★ Newbie

if yoiu download the latest patches for the game your problem should go away

Message 10 of 165 (427,084 Views)