[PC] Freshly installed Mass Effect 2 won't launch

by ProtoManic

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PC] Freshly installed Mass Effect 2 won't launch

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I was planning on replaying the trilogy again, so after finishing Mass Effect 1 I installed Mass Effect 2 except it won't launch.

I reinstalled it.

I reinstalled it without DLC.

I repaired it.

I asked EA Support for help but all their solutions didn't work out.

Other solutions like these also didn't help. [1] [2] [3]

Whenever I try to start it up and I look at the Reliability Monitor it tells me that the ActivationUI.exe located at [C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries\Core\ActivationUI.exe] has crashed

[Full Report]

I have the Digital Deluxe Edition, in case that matters.

Message 1 of 4 (1,484 Views)

Accepted Solution

Betreff: [PC] Freshly installed Mass Effect 2 won't launch

@ProtoManic 

• Make sure Origin is closed.
  • Delete the "ActivationUI.exe" under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries\Core"
  • Start Origin as an Administrator. (Right click the Origin shortcut > Run as an Administrator.
  • Go to your game library and repair ME2. (in Origin > Game Library > right click ME2 > Repair)

If that don't works, shut down your Windows firewall and disable the real-time scanner of your antivirus software.. (just for testing purpose, don't forget to activate the firewall and the antivirus software later on.)

Should it work after you disabled the firewall, here is a description how to allow the "ActivationUI.exe" to communicate through the firewall.

If that still don't helps:

• Copy the "ActivationUI.exe" from C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\Binaries\Core\" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries\Core"
  • Test.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (1,414 Views)

All Replies

@ProtoManic 

• Delete the "ActivationUI.exe" under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries\Core"
  • Start Origin as an Administrator. (Right click the Origin shortcut > Run as an Administrator.
  • Go to your game library and repair ME2. (in Origin > Game Library > right click ME2 > Repair)

If that don't works, shut down your Windows firewall and disable the real-time scanner of your antivirus software.. (just for testing purpose, don't forget to activate the firewall and the antivirus software later on.)

Should it work after you disabled the firewall, here is a description how to allow the "ActivationUI.exe" to communicate through the firewall.

If that still don't helps:

• Copy the "ActivationUI.exe" from C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\Binaries\Core\" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries\Core"
  • Test.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 4 (1,415 Views)

★★★ Novice

Copying the "ActivationUI.exe" from the first Mass Effect to Mass effect 2 worked for me.

I don't know how you come up with this stuff but I've seen you answer on a lot of other threads and I gotta say, you're awesome dude

Message 3 of 4 (1,400 Views)

@ProtoManic 

ProtoManic  schrieb:

I don't know how you come up with this stuff but I've seen you answer on a lot of other threads and I gotta say, you're awesome dude

Thanks! Really appreciated!

Standard smile

Message 4 of 4 (1,384 Views)