Need Info from players. (ME2 crashing/not starting after importing ME1 save)

by biowareqa

Original Post

Re: Need Info from players. (ME2 crashing/not starting after importing ME1 save)

★★ Novice

Hi everybody,

Found a potential easy fix.  Before reinstalling or doing anything drastic, simply try going back into config, reimporting saves, going offline in origin, then launching ME2.  Worked like a charm first time for me, and I didn't lose the ME2 game i'd already started with my ME1 shepard.

Message 91 of 102 (2,095 Views)

Re: Need Info from players. (ME2 crashing/not starting after importing ME1 save)

★★★ Newbie

@jawood1989

Man I love you so much. I really didn want to have to re-download 11 GB of game since I have a bandwidth limit! What you said totally worked! EA should be able to do a quick fix for that. It doesnt seem like the bug is a corrupt binary or anything since just not going online after changing the config fixed everything. Thanks again man!

Message 92 of 102 (1,979 Views)

★★ Novice

A fix for those that has ran the config utility:

1. Navigate to your ME2 installation folder. (for me this was: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2)

2. Delete the Binaries folder and the BioGame\Config folder.

3. In Origin, it will say that you have to re-download the game, do so. (Since you have only deleted the binaries and the config files it will only re-download those)

4. Import ME1 Savegames the manual way. DO NOT LAUNCH THE CONFIG UTILITY.

5. Run the game.

It worked for me on Win7 64-bit.

Hope this helps.

Message 93 of 102 (1,928 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I got a trilogy edition. Im playing on a windows 7 pc My ME1 worked fine and so did ME2 before I imported the safe files, it didnt work afterwards though. Edit: Good that there is finally someone working on this issue: Good Luck!

Message 94 of 102 (1,886 Views)

★★★ Newbie

importing me 1 to me 2 on playstation 3

Message 95 of 102 (1,882 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Wait, this issue was reported in 2013. Now it's March 2015 and EA still didn't fix it with a patch?

Good job EA.... Good job...

Message 96 of 102 (1,108 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Same problem, bought the trilogy from origin an now I cant play me2 after importing the me1 save. Im on Windows 8 btw.
Message 97 of 102 (1,038 Views)

★ Novice

@OneGamingSheep wrote:

I had the same problem, but rather than reinstalling the entire game I just deleted the config file and then ran a repair through origin. Now I can launch the game again. Saves quite a bit of time compared to reinstalling the entire game.

Hope this helps anyone else.

WOOT!  TYVM TYVM TYVM.  Your instructions worked perfectly.

Message 98 of 102 (914 Views)

★★ Novice

@eXsc wrote:

A fix for those that has ran the config utility:

1. Navigate to your ME2 installation folder. (for me this was: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2)

2. Delete the Binaries folder and the BioGame\Config folder.

3. In Origin, it will say that you have to re-download the game, do so. (Since you have only deleted the binaries and the config files it will only re-download those)

4. Import ME1 Savegames the manual way. DO NOT LAUNCH THE CONFIG UTILITY.

5. Run the game.

It worked for me on Win7 64-bit.

Hope this helps.

In my experience, all you have to delete is masseffect2.exe and me2game.exe then redownload through origin (less download time). It also recognized my ME1 saves after reinstalling.

Message 99 of 102 (842 Views)

★★ Novice

I had this problem.  In my case, I struggled to import the character.  I had to follow some tweaks to make my character appear in the list of saves I could import.  When it finally did work, it only worked on that same session I imported the character.  The next time I started the game, it wouldn't load.  This same thing happened both times I played through the trilogy.

I was using the trilogy edition.  OS was Windows7.  It was on a PC with an Intel i5 vPro processor with 8GB memory and an integrated Radeon Mobile video chipset.

I had to uninstall and reinstall to get the game to work.  

Message 100 of 102 (828 Views)