Re: Need Info from players. (ME2 crashing/not starting after importing ME1 save)

by Avorniel

Original Post

Re: Need Info from players. (ME2 crashing/not starting after importing ME1 save)

★★ Novice

The problem is mass effect 2 TRILOGY edition

running on windows 7

Message 81 of 102 (1,450 Views)

★★ Novice

Guys, i managed to fix it. all you have to do is importing the me1 save data manually, without the configurator, and then turn of "cloud save data" in origin otions

Message 82 of 102 (1,446 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Im using a copy from the trilogy. I imported my ME1 save and after that origin comes up with the message "launching ME2"  then my cursor turns to a loading icon then everything returns to normal as if i never attempted to launch the game. (Please not ME2 would launch perfectly fine before i tried to import so it has nothing to do with my computer specs) I dont get any error message or anything origin just fails to launch it. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit home edition.

Message 83 of 102 (1,423 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I found a way to launch the game on PC.  I deleted the entire file and re-downloaded it from the Origin this morning (without the expansion packs).  I also turned off cloud storage.  I've done this in the past and found it has done nothing but figured I'd give it another go.  Predictably, the game didn't open.

Then I put Origin into offline mode -- I went to the Origin launcher, selected the Origin menu, and selected "Go Offline."  Then, when I restarted the game, it successfully launched.  My careers were still intact but certain save game files were unavailable because I didn't have the previous DLC that I had purchased and installed.  I'm re-downloading the DLC now and, when that is finished, I'll put Origin back into offline mode and see if re-installing the DLC messes up the game or if it'll launch again.

Given there's no multiplayer function on ME2, playing in offline mode shouldn't do anything other than mess up tracking of the silly achievements.  But the problem is definetly on EA's end with Origin.  Given their response to the Sim City debacle, I doubt they'll ever get around to really fixing this.  I love Bioware's stuff, but I'm losing patience with anything EA.

Hope this helps.  Probably won't do much for PS3/XBox users unfortunately.  (I'm not sure if consoles run the Origin platform independently.)

Edit:  I should note that my problems didn't start when I first imported games from ME1.  I played through one entire campaign and 2/3 of another when the game suddenly stopped working for no discernable reason, so I'm not sure if it's the same issue.

Edit 2:  With the DLC installed, it still works when Origin is placed in Offline Mode.  So this workaround seems to work for me, at least.  Definitely a problem with Origin though.

Message 84 of 102 (1,402 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Are you guys from EA serious?
Problem still not solved?
Oh, my, god.

Message 85 of 102 (1,391 Views)

★ Novice

The problem is in the MassEffext2Config.exe program. I spent about an hour on the phone with the EA guy, and it seems that the problem is with the Trilogy edition.

DO NOT RUN THE CONFIG PROGRAM!

Not yelling, just want to make sure you see it. The solution is simple.

Create a subdirectory under My Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect 2\Save called ME1

Copy your save file from Mass Effect 1\Save into the ME1 folder. It will look something like Char_01-50-2-2-3-7-1-2013-70-43.MassEffectSave

NOTE: As a shortcut you could just copy the ME\Save folder to the ME2\Save folder (don't overwrite the ME2\Save folder, put it in as a subfolder so it is ME2\Save\Save) then rename the new folder ME1. That way you'll have all your ME1 saves available.

And no, the problem is still not fixed. Seems strange, with all the people having this problem.

For the interested, the EA guy reconfigured my settings for the original ME2 load. The config program that comes with that did not break the game. It seems to be a combination of the config program and the game program. He also showed me that if you right-click the image on the Origin screen, one of the options is to repair install. That will reinstall just the broken parts and is shorter than a complete reinstall. I did that twice...

Message 86 of 102 (1,378 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Mass Effect Trioligy 

Trying to Import ME1 into ME2 using the config program game syncs doesn's play was fine before I used the Config.

i5 ,6Gigs+ mem

Windows 7 64 bit Ultra updated

@Jimwalton

It's all well and good doing what you have done ,but most only come here after they have used the config which by then it is to late lol I am not going to spend another 22 1/2 hours to download the game again,considering I bought the CD version and Disk 1 of ME2 wouldn't install,so now haveing to return the game and get a replacement. lol

Message 87 of 102 (1,367 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

[I play on PS3] My character doesn't seem to be importing either. On my first Shepard, it worked smoothly. Second Shep, awful. When I try to import my Shepard to Mass Effect 2, then go to "ME1 Imports" it shows that my Shepard isn't there. I unstalled & installed my game 2 times with the patch & it doesn't seem to be working. I beat Saren 3 times & it still didn't work. All it shows is an orange screen when you try to import your character. I hope they make a patch for this soon, all I ever see is that they fixed the ME3 one. Which is good, but ME2 needs to be fixed soon! Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Message 88 of 102 (1,324 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i bought the game when it was on sale through origin as a three pack deal (not the trillogy)

i am on pc using windwos 7

Message 89 of 102 (1,266 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am running the pc version on window 7 os

After running the configuration utility I can no longer run ME2. While exploring all ME2 files I have noticed that the EACore files are missing from the binaries after using the configurator which in the troubleshooting articles is said to cause a failed start up of the game. I followed it's instructions but without a significant result. It uses cmd pmt to force install the game again. After trial and error I have found it's easiest to just set your settings with the configurator and then download and reinstall the game. The data doesn't seem to be erased and your previous setting will be saved. Hopefully. This is just what I have discoverd. It sucks we're having so many problems with this.

Message 90 of 102 (1,238 Views)