Re: Mass effect 2 help!

by holger1405

Original Post

Mass effect 2 help!

★ Apprentice

Hey everyone. I’m reaching out to you in hopes that I can get this resolved. I reached out to ea support through Twitter ang they referred me to hq. I’m having issues with the mass effect trilogy again. Several months ago I reached out to hq because I had an issue with mass effect 2. Well I’m having the same issue again. The game simply doesn’t load. Game 1 and 3 work though.

Here’s what I’ve done with twitters ea help. I wiped all 3 games clean. Initially they suggested I create a new user account with admin privileges to see if the game would load under the user account. Mass effect 2 did load. So then they told me that I could transfer the files to the user account so I wouldn’t lose my progress. When I transferred the files to the user account, this time the game didn’t load at all. The game logo never showed either. So that told ea support through Twitter that something in my saves was corrupted. So they had me wipe the game clean to see if that’d fix the issue. It did not fix the issue. After wiping the game clean, it still didn’t load. If didn’t load under my regular account or the user account. 

When all this started happening again, I attempted to try some of the steps that I took a few months ago to see if I could get the game working, but nothing happened. Also I think the trilogy fried my monitor because one day it just was white on one side and had white lines all across the screen. Which made no sense to me why it would go out. It didn’t make sense because my windows vista computer is older and the monitor still works on that pc. Both monitors are hp. My windows vista pc went out around spring of 2018 but I kept it for parts.

Prior to contacting ea support through Twitter, I made sure my hardware and software was upto date. When I wiped the trilogy clean, it gave an error that said that my hardware isn’t supported and that I may experience instability. Any help would be appreciated! Trevor

Message 1 of 14 (2,112 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hey @trevgrad08

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having troubles with launching Mass Effect 2 Frown

Did by "wiped all 3 games clean" you mean only reinstalling them? Have you tried to use Ccleaner to clear the registry files as well?

It would also be great to see your DxDiag report.

/Ataashi

Message 2 of 14 (2,082 Views)

★ Apprentice

Basically I deleted all files( uninstalled and reinstalled ). Because twitters ea support said that the game worked on the user account with admin privileges, and they suggested I play the game on that other user account. So because I didn’t want to lose my progress, I transferred my saves files onto the user account. But when I did that, the game didn’t work. That told support that something was corrupted in my files. So after it didn’t work, I cleaned the games. Deleted all profiles and data. Basically starting from scratch here.

I have used the ccleaner in the past. Actually when I first got the trilogy about a year ago or so,  twitters support had me use that. After I used it, it made things worse. It not only corrupted some of my registry files, but it also corrupted the game as well. I had no choice to do a system restore to before I downloaded the cleaner. So I’m a little hesitant on using the cleaner this time around. I have also done a clean boot. I did a clean boot when I had this problem several months ago, and it came back with no issues, so I don’t think it’s needed again.

Message 3 of 14 (2,076 Views)

★ Apprentice

Here is the DxDiag file.

Message 4 of 14 (2,070 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Thanks you for better explanation and providing the file @trevgrad08 

Have you tried to launch the game with DirectX 11 instead of 12? I also see that you're using Windows 10. Have you tried to start ME2 in a compatibility mode with any previous Windows system?

/Ataashi

Message 5 of 14 (2,064 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have tried compatibility mode and i let the system do it automatically, so it picks certain options based on what’s happening on the screen. As far as running it on other versions of windows, my current pc is the only pc I’ve ran this game on. But I have applied settings on it, so it could be tested with older versions. But doing that hasn’t fixed anything. I’ve also ran it under administrator. 

But as far as running it under directX 11, I have not tried that. Main reason I haven’t done that is because, my computer already had lag with each game, so there’d be more of a lag if I roll back to the previous version. When the game worked, the directX version I have currently, seemed to be fine.

Message 6 of 14 (2,056 Views)

Hi @trevgrad08

You wrote you already tried all steps we did to get the game running the last time, the steps in this post?

According to your DxDiag you replaced the HP W2071d Monitor with a different one. Is it the HP W2071d monitor that does not work anymore?

The new Monitor works without problems?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 7 of 14 (2,021 Views)

★ Apprentice

Correct. The HP W2071d monitor is the one that went out. It’s newer than my original hp monitor w1907 which I had my vista pc on. The one that went out, is also a widescreen monitor. The w1907 is standard. So it really made no sense why the newer one went out first. After it went out, I began searching for monitors online. A few days later I found out from my uncle who’s an audio video technician/salesman, that the hp brand is just a crappy made model for monitors. He said that if I wanted a long lasting monitor, price range I’d be looking at a few hundred bucks for one. The only issue I’m having with the working monitor is the occasional lag from the game. Otherwise it works pretty well.

Message 8 of 14 (2,007 Views)

@trevgrad08

So to make that clear, now, after the problem reappear, you created a second user account and the game did run there?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 9 of 14 (1,980 Views)

★ Apprentice

It was suggested that I create a user account to see if the game would run under the user account. The game did load correctly under the user account. So after it worked, I transferred my saves files onto that user account, so I wouldn’t lose my progress. When I tried loading the game under the user account, the game didn’t work. So I wiped all the files out and started from scratch with the games, the game didn’t load even after I deleted all the files. So I’m stuck at this point.

Message 10 of 14 (1,973 Views)