Mass Effect Trilogy: ME2 doesn't start with Origin after install

by SanteuZ

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect Trilogy: ME2 doesn't start with Origin after install

@fear0114

What is exactly happening if you try to start the game?

Please create a DxDiag in text file format, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER and look if it has ME2 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up together with the DxDiag.

You can do that with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 121 of 131 (2,552 Views)

★★★ Novice

After reinstalling completely Windows and everything, it is finally working. I couldn't say why precisely.

Thank you for the help though!

Message 122 of 131 (2,545 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@Brutalistanbul

I found a solution to it (it worked for me).

In binaries directory:

Rename MassEffect2.exe as MassEffect2Launcher.exe

Rename ME2Game.exe as MassEffect2.exe

Now It Works fine and it can import Mass Effect 1 saves.

Hope work for everyone.

I was halfway through a darn game and it just decided to stop working for no reason, just killed the shadow broker, game was carried over from ME1, talk about gutted.
I tried everything I could think of but nothing worked, I have been working my way through all the threads and even the fixes for ME1 I needed to get that running,, nothing Frown
This however did work, I have lost all my game data and looks like I may have to start from scratch but at least it works.

Cheers Standard smile

Message 123 of 131 (2,365 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I'm finally found solution (at least it's working on my PC).

1) Find the Folder with install game and come in folder with .exe files (ME2Game.exe and MassEffect2.exe);

2) Rename them - ME2Game.exe into MassEffect2.exe, MassEffect2.exe into MassEffect2Launcher.exe;

3) Rename .PAR files - MassEffect2.PAR into MassEffect2Launcher.PAR, ME2Game.PAR into MassEffect2.PAR;

4) Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64) - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21254

5) Install vc_redist x64 and run the game from Origin;

6) Enjoy Wink

Message 124 of 131 (2,353 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I tried this, instead now i have to download the entire game and dlcs back as it appears not installed... any help?

Message 125 of 131 (2,161 Views)

★★★ Newbie
It works! Thank you!
Message 126 of 131 (1,959 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi Standard smile I tried your methode but the repair game, isn't showing up.

The problem remains the same, I click the play button, button becomes unavailable for a few moments and then I can click it again without anything happening.

I just bought the game, managed to only play once before it got like this.

*sadness*

Message 127 of 131 (1,746 Views)

@TheAntiqueHobbit

Please create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply.

If you use Windows 7 also go to your Reliability monitor > Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time and copy and paste or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in the new Window > hit “ENTER” and look if it has entries for the game you have trouble with.

If yes double click at the last entry for the game executable, copy the info to the clipboard, and save it to a text file.

Perf.png

You can attach the DxDiag text file you created (and the “Reliability monitor” text file as well) to your post in the “Reply” window with the “Choose File” button. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 128 of 131 (1,742 Views)

★★★ Novice
This worked perfectly, and so much better than the advice near the front of the thread, thank you very much.
Message 129 of 131 (1,643 Views)

★★ Novice
@eachems This worked perfectly. thank you.
Just a quick fyi, for me it used the local data automatically, also instead of deleting the file and folder instead i renamed them MassEffect2Config.exe to MassEffect2Config.bak and data became data_bak. I didnt want to delete anything so i took precautions. Thanks again.
Message 130 of 131 (677 Views)