Re: Mass Effect Trilogy: ME2 doesn't start with Origin after install

by n002

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I installed ME1 and ME2 from my original disks. Both got the "Activation limit reached. Contact EA support." message.

I contact support, they tell me the only thing I can do is activate the game codes on Origin.

I reluctantly do this, install both games, ME1 works, ME2 does not.

Running on Windows 10 64 bit.

Message 91 of 131 (2,252 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I see. Might be as simple as a conflicted installation.

If you already successfully added ME2 to your Origin account, there are two paths you could try:

1) In the Origin client, in your "Game Library", right click the icon of ME2. Select "Repair Game"

That should make sure the installation is correct.

2) Bite the (data plan) bullet and uninstall ME2. From your Origin client, select ME2 and reinstall.

Make sure Origin is updated to the latest version, as well Windows and your Graphics Driver.

If on the other hand, ME2 does NOT show in your "Game Library", the fault lies elsewhere.

I can confirm, ME2 + Origin + Win10x64 does indeed work. (Compared to Win7)

Hope this helps

Message 92 of 131 (2,242 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Uninstalled and reinstalled both the game and origin multiple times during the weekend.

Ran the repair tool dozens of times over various "solution" attempts.

Game shows up in library just fine along with every other Origin game I own.

Everything is updated.

I have tried every "solution" I have found on this forum and several others.

With every thing I've tried only 2 different things happen.

Either I get the "We're sorry, an error has occurred. Invalid license. Reason code = Missing DLL: [MSVCP80.dll] Error: 0x7E." or Nothing happens at all when I click play.

Spoken with several people I know who also own the games and they all say the same thing. Once they had to run the game through origin it never worked again.

Message 93 of 131 (2,235 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

If other people owning physical copies are experiencing the same thing, than something must have gone wrong

with the serial port. That would be EA's job to fix.

Unfortunately, you'll have to keep pestering the support chats in this case.

Are you sure you don't have two ME2 installations on your system (ie. one from physical disk and one from Origin)?

You could also upload an dxdiag log file here, pulled right after you try to start ME2. Ask you'd need assistance for that.

Message 94 of 131 (2,227 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

No double install here. Cleaned out everything from both the installed location and the documents folder on C:

Also ran ccleaner after every uninstall to get rid of any unwanted registry files.

The people I mention don't all have the physical disk. Some have the disk, some have the digital copy only and some have both. I every case though, when they try running the game in Origin it won't work.

Either the game launches into a black screen or it won't launch at all. Some cases the game worked at first launch, but stopped working after a save game import.

In my case it didn't even work on a fresh install. Click play in Origin and ...nothing happens, at all.

Message 95 of 131 (2,224 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Well, to me that looks like a well maintained system.

Nothing suggests what might be wrong with Origin.

Could it be that you run both Avast AntiVir and MS Defender? If so, disable one of those.

The thing is, if ME2 starts up fine, than you run Config Util, and than everything stops,

it's clearly the registry bug where you have to go deep into your registry and fix the install path.

But since you're running Win10 and apparently you couldn't even start ME2 once, that's not your

problem.

I'm really sorry, that's the end of my line Disappointed

Message 96 of 131 (2,215 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

It's the end my line too.

Activation timers on game codes. Absurd. If EA would just reactivate my codes or give me new ones so I could install the games without Origin again.

But no, have to force their precious Origin on everyone.

Thanks for your effort.

Message 97 of 131 (2,211 Views)

★★★ Newbie

OMG Thank you so very much I was looking for months for a solution and then you gave this one it actually works!! :D Thank you!!! 

Message 98 of 131 (1,847 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Worked flawlessly, much ablidged.

Message 99 of 131 (1,804 Views)

★ Novice

This solution didn't work for me because my binary folder was empty. Is there any other solution for getting ME2 to start?

Message 100 of 131 (1,760 Views)