Re: Mass Effect Trilogy: ME2 doesn't start with Origin after install

by n002

Original Post

★★★ Novice

None of the 'solutions' have worked for me. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game 2 times. I've tried renaming the files etc and still nothing. I've 'repaired' the game and it still does nothing when I click 'play'. But it does not allow me to do anything else to the game once I've clicked play because it thinks that I am playing the game when there is no window open.

Message 71 of 131 (2,873 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Seems like the config program kills the game the second you use it.

Don't use it to import or do anything at all.

Change your graphics ingame - at least the morons left this option open.

I've just bought the game plus all the deluxe and DLCs today as I wanted to play it again but couldn't find my old hardcopy I bought some years ago.

Installed, ran it, worked perfectly, tried to load an ME1 save, the game said I need to load them in through the config utility, exited the game, opened the config utility, it didn't respond to any of my clicks to open the save folder of ME1, tried to launch the game and all I got was a process appearing in the task manager for a few seconds and disappearing.

Don't use the utility tool, it ruins everything.

Thanks for ruining another game EA, thank you - apparently Mass Effect 3's ending and the Command and Conquer franchise just weren't enough for you to wreck.

And if I got a dollar for every time either I or any of my friends experience technical issues with Battlefield 3 and 4, I'd probably have enough money to become the majority shareholder in your company.

This is probably the thanks I deserve for buying about 2000$ worth of games and TA funds over the years from you.

Message 72 of 131 (2,810 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The same... I tried all the solutions but ME2 still doesn't work!
I can't launch the game!
What can I do? Is there a definitive solution?
THANKS in advance..

Message 73 of 131 (2,741 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello -

I managed to run the game once for 1 hour. Saved closed it wen't to bed.

woke up, tried to run mass effect2 the next day and it wont open.

I've tried all of the solutions.

Please either Fix the issue and redistribute the download to origin so we can all just redownload a fixxed version.

Why am I yet again having to rumage around changing files and attempting to fix or further break my game? I'm not a developer thats your bloody job. Please correct these issues.

or full refund all those having trouble as its false advertising as the product we're recieving isn't the product we've paid for.

EA is a big name, if you can't solve one issue with a game that has its 4th release soon...  I dare say i will be telling people not to buy massEffect4 due to its liability for bugs and issues through origin.

Fix please.

Message 74 of 131 (2,630 Views)

★ Novice

You need to rename the .exe file and the .par file to MassEffect2.exe and MassEffect2.par in the Binaries folder of Mass Effect 2 game.

Renaming these 2 files allowed my game to start up.

Not sure why Bioware doesn't patch this.

Message 75 of 131 (2,518 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I'm sorry to quote myself from another topic, but can anyone here confim this:

Whenever MassEffect2Config.exe is fired up, it writes into your Windows registry.

With me (Win7x64), it turns

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Path: "E:\Games\Origin\Games\Mass Effect 2\"

into
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Path: "E:\Games\Origin\Games\Mass Effect 2"

Notice the missing "\" at the end?

So, no need to rename files or edit "Coalesced" files, just check if your ME2 installation path in the Windows registry is correct.

And put the backslash back in, if it is indeed missing.

Of course, x64 and 32bit systems and different Windows editions would show different paths, but you get the idea?

Message 76 of 131 (2,499 Views)

★★★ Novice

YOU ARE A SAINT. I had tried everything, and only yours worked. THANKYOU.

Message 77 of 131 (2,439 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi misakikaito,

Thx for the shout out, I'm very happy that this little workaround could help you!

I wish I had posted this a year ago when I found out.

Tech Support doesn't seem to see this as a problem worth adressing, although technically it breaks the game.

Anyway, lets hope this thread reaches the people that really need it.

Message 78 of 131 (2,436 Views)

★★★ Novice

To think such a small little thing causes so much trouble. I'm glad this topic popped up with it's solution, I was losing hope that I'd ever be able to play ME2 again.

Message 79 of 131 (2,434 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@n002 wrote:

I'm sorry to quote myself from another topic, but can anyone here confim this:

Whenever MassEffect2Config.exe is fired up, it writes into your Windows registry.

With me (Win7x64), it turns

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Path: "E:\Games\Origin\Games\Mass Effect 2\"

into
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Path: "E:\Games\Origin\Games\Mass Effect 2"

Notice the missing "\" at the end?

So, no need to rename files or edit "Coalesced" files, just check if your ME2 installation path in the Windows registry is correct.

And put the backslash back in, if it is indeed missing.

Of course, x64 and 32bit systems and different Windows editions would show different paths, but you get the idea?

Would you happen to know what that path would be on windows 8? and how would i put the backslash in? not too savy with this stuff lol, my games usually just work the way they should

Message 80 of 131 (2,333 Views)