I tried this and my copy of ME2 still won't work.

by Spades27

Original Post

★★ Novice

@eanils wrote:

Heya all,

The new Origin Beta Client will likely resolve this issue. Please check the steps provided in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-2/Origin-Redownloading-ME2-DLC/m-p/232490#M479 and get back to us.

Thank you in advance!

Message 11 of 131 (46,314 Views)

Re: Mass Effect Trilogy: ME2 doesn't start with Origin after install

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I have the same problem. First time it started, then I wanted to import my save game from ME1. Now it won't start at all. I tried everything that was said in here. 

Edit: Well not everything. I'm not going to redownload the game. It took me more than 2 hours. I bought the trilogy btw. A week ago when it was 50% off.

Message 12 of 131 (46,297 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Same here... tried everything 

EDIT:

I got it started again. I un-installed Mass Effect 2 and 3 and made sure that all files from 2 & 3 were gone, including the files from the C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2. I tried earlier to copy the save file from ME1, so I made sure this time that it was a clean install.

Since I read that it SHOULD work with the latest beta version, I made sure that I also installed it from the Beta version of Origin. 

I installed ME2 only and started the game without any configuration made. Origin claimed that there are some complication with the Save files and it does not match the ones within the cloud system. I pressed OK and it started. Im now going to try to copy my ME1 save into ME2 and see where it goes wrong. I will make a new post where it goes wrong, or hopefully, works as intended.

EDIT EDIT: 

Ok good news for those who had the problem before. I am not certain how the save file system works however. I thought I had removed my recent attempt to import my ME1 save file, but it turned out wrong. I checked first the Import ME1 section just to be sure I had removed it, but it was there. 

So I tried to launch it and it worked. Once the moive faded I saved the game to a new ME2 file and closed the game. Since I had the issue with the cloud system not interacting with my old saved files I did that just to check if it changes anything. I quit and started the game again and it launches just fine. 

Important to know is that the FIRST time I started ME2 I logged in to the Ceberus Network and after I closed the game, imported my ME1 save it failed to launch. This I DID NOT log on Ceberus Network at any time and it works fine. Dont know if that is the failure somehow, but Im not going to try and see since it works fine for me, at the moment I should add. 

If I get any errors within the nearest hours of gaming, I'll be back here again. If not, it works just fine.

I hope this will help someone, since I was lost in space before I tried this.

Good luck!

Message 13 of 131 (46,289 Views)

★★ Novice

mm, is there any way to re-install the game without re-downloading it? Just my internet connection is so, so terrible. It'll take me 30+ hours..

Message 14 of 131 (46,232 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you soooo much, I swear to god if I hear about issues with ME4 I'm not going to buy the **bleep** thing.

Message 15 of 131 (46,002 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Hello Commander(s),

This happened to me a few minutes ago.

It is not necessary to completely uninstall ME2 and reinstall it. There is a quicker way to do the workaround (took me 5 minutes).

If you're experiencing this error, go into the game folder (by default on windows 7: C:/Program files (x86)/Origin Games/Mass Effect 2)

Enter the folder named "Binaries" and permanently delete the "MassEffect2Config.exe" file. Then go back to the original game folder and permanently delete the folder named "data" (make sure Origin is closed).

Afterwards, launch Origin, right-click on the Mass Effect 2 icon and select "Repair Install". Let the repair tool fullfill his task (should'nt be very long).

Then, proceed to manually copy the saves from ME1 as indicated in the previous message from pudsley.

(Copy the content of the folder "Documents/BioWare/Mass Effect/Save" into "Documents/BioWare/Mass Effect 2/Save/ME1")

When it's done, launch Mass Effect 2 (use local data when asked by Origin), hopefully this issue should be fixed. It worked on my end.

Happy Reaper hunt.

Thank you for being part of Answer HQ Community.
Did a solution help you? Let everybody know by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" button.
Do you want to answer somebody's question? click on the "Reply" button.
If you are especially happy with someone's response, reward them by clicking on "XP".
Message 16 of 131 (45,957 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Your method worked flawlessly for me as well, eachems.

Message 17 of 131 (45,865 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Doesn't work!  I`ve uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted the config, repaired install, downloaded all free DLC, tried to start as administrator, set to real time priority.  Nothing works.  It originally worked, but not now.  Even tried uninstalling all origin and me 1 and me 2 and did a full reinstall.  Installing from trilogy disks.  When it ran, I could import me1 character.  Then it started not launching and I did all of the above.  Not all at once, of course.

EITHER ORIGIN OR ME2 SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  OR BOTH. 

I really want to play me2 and then 3, but, typically, the umbrella program (just created to gather info to market more unplayable games to us), whether origin or steam, or whatever are more of a problem than a benefit!!!!!!!!!

WHAT NOW????????????????????????????

Message 18 of 131 (45,834 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I know how you feel man, I'm experiencing the same problem, I do not receive the necessary attention or assistance by the companies involved. Not to mention that I am Brazilian, so I have less attention even thoughi paid the same way for these services. Even better, it just has not happened in ME2 but also in Battlefield and its expansions, which were duly paid, but nothing seized.

Message 19 of 131 (45,798 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@Marodim wrote:

I know how you feel man, I'm experiencing the same problem, I do not receive the necessary attention or assistance by the companies involved. Not to mention that I am Brazilian, so I have less attention even thought paid the same way for these services. Even better, it just has not happened in ME2 but also in Battlefield and its expansions, which were duly paid, but nothing seized.

You really need your own separate thread.  If you really had a totally duplicated platform and software setup, then you would have no problem.  This thread includes a solution for a situation and a system. 

It didn't work for you, but it's really almost impossible in terms of PCs to really have everything exactly the same as someone else, especially when trying to make comparisons between distant locations.  Why not start your own personal request for your fellow members to think about your situation?  Give us all the data we need to attempt a diagnosis, and let's see if there's anything we can come up with: 

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/106/index/1537629

Message 20 of 131 (45,795 Views)