Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Mass Effect 2 won't start

by tyurtel

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect 2 won't start

★ Novice

Same problem, tried almost everything nothing seems to working, any idea?

Message 121 of 125 (1,284 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ddsoad

Go to your ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries" folder and make a copy if the "MassEffect2.exe". 

Then rename the "ME2game.exe" to "OLD_ME2game.exe".

Now rename the "MassEffect2.exe" to "ME2game.exe" (without the quotes) and try to start the game from the new created "ME2game.exe"

If that don't works, delete the "Mass Effect 2" folder in your "Documents\BioWare"  folder. (The "Mass Effect 2" folder under "Documents", not the game folder!)

Then delete the "ME2game.exe", the "OLD_ME2game.exe" and the copy of the "MassEffect2.exe" from your ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries" folder.

Now delete the "Data" folder under ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2"

Start Origin, go to your Games library and start the Download of ME2 again. (Don't worry, it will download a few files only.) > test. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 122 of 125 (1,269 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@alexmf138 Here it is October of 2019, and I am playing through the Mass Effect games. I encountered the issue where running the ME2 config disabled ME2's ability to launch. I followed your post, and it worked like a charm. Thank you.
Message 123 of 125 (671 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Ok guys, I think I might've stumbled onto a solution to the not-launching problem. I don't know if this happens to you as well but you can try to replicate it. I will give you my steps I did and wish the best of luck to you that it works as well.

Main giveaway: This solution lets you start ME2 WITHOUT ORIGIN RUNNING.

Quick intro: I've tried every last tip I found online. From renaming the exe's over the "put origin offline" trick to preventing the game to sync. Nothing worked. I've also talked to the EA-Staff via chat and nothing helped. Clean Origin cache here, let me check your DXDIAG there and so on. No solution in sight. Beforehand, I reinstalled everything from scratch and it did not work. My Windows 10 Home Edition is fresh (installed it clean 3 weeks ago) and all drivers are up-to-date. Hardware is Ryzen 3 3600, 16gb ram, 2070 super. Nothing out of the ordinary.

My workaround:

1. I reinstalled everything clean. Meaning to uninstall ME2, Origin as well as delete everything connected to it:
    1. Uninstall Mass Effect 2. This includes also the BioWare files in the Documents folder.
    2. Uninstall Origin. Clear the Origin cache (Win+R -> %appsdata%)-> delete the Origin folders in roaming as well as local)
    3. After looking for remainders manually via the explorer search, I ran CC Cleaner to make sure it's all gone.
  2. I reinstalled Origin. Set everything up (Cloud Sync deactivated, Game update deactivated).

3. Reinstalled ME2 with all DLC's through Origin.

4. Additionally, I installed the usual mods: ALOT Texture pack as well as the 4k Video Mod.

5. Now the crucial step: After installation, I moved the ME2 folder from my Origin installation folder on my SSHD drive to my SSD (p.s. pure luck to having done this step).

6. As Origin loaded up, I clicked on "locate game" and gave it the new location. Origin would start testing the files for integrity. I wanted to stop this (due to the aforementioned Mods I wanted to keep) and clicked on the process in the lower left corner of Origin. Then - Origin crashed. The best thing to happen to me. Maybe you can emulate this by ALT+F4 Origin while it's checking.

7. Then I went to my folder and started ME2 manually through the ME2Game.exe. And it WORKED like a charm. Even after closing ME2 several times it works again. And again.

I don't know if this is a permanent solution but if you have tried out everything else and nothing worked - this could be your saving grace as well :-)

Good luck out there Commanders and I hope this could help you!

Cheers

UPDATE: 

Do NOT mess around with the Coalesced.ini file!

It's your configuration file. I tried to change the mouse speed and as soon as I fiddled with it, the game would not start again. After replacing it with the saved original everything was fine again :-)

Message 124 of 125 (292 Views)

★ Novice

@Swatson_OS Thank you.  This was the only way I could get the game to work for me

Message 125 of 125 (200 Views)
Twitter Stream