Mass Effect 2 won't start

by tyurtel

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect 2 won't start

★★ Novice

I started Mass Effect 2 first, without importing sav file. Played for about  15 minutes and then It was: Illusive man: He let the council die. Me: OH CRAP forget to import my files. So then I imported my file and the game will not start now. So I'm pretty sure it is not an hardware issue in my case. (sorry for my bad english)

Please resolve this EA!

Message 21 of 128 (12,110 Views)

★★★ Novice

can any1 get a rep to see this I NEED to play mass effect 2

Message 22 of 128 (12,100 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Pay attention to where you are!  This is not an official support site.  This replaced the Self-Help gamer to gamer forum on the Social site. 

"

Official Tech Support is elsewhere.  This is Self-Help, gamer to gamer here.  (snip) ."

EA Help has been the official support ever since the EA purchase.  You won't hear from anyone on staff at EA before Monday, when the office opens again, and then, it's unofficial type guidance only.  On the other hand, Game Advisers at EA Help are on duty weekends.  

Message 23 of 128 (12,096 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I'm now on the third install of ME2. I decided to go through several troubleshooting steps and determined that it is the ME2 Config Utility that is causing this issue. I did not even attempt to import ME1 characters this time - simply running the config utility then saving any changes prevents ME2 from running at all.

Irritatingly, I had "Keep game installers after games have been installed" checked, and Origin STILL deleted the ME2 downloader. So now I have to wait another hour of downloading to try anything else after uninstalling.

I'm fed up at this point. I have had a ticket open with EA help for over 8 days now (And I sent them another reply to see what was happening). There's no official word on what's causing this issue. I bought the Mass Effect Trilogy (Plus all of the story-meaningful DLC) from Origin and cannot enjoy a majority of its content. If I can't import my ME1 saves to ME2, then all of my investment in the series is a waste.

All other Origin titles are running fine for me right now (Including BF3, ME1, and ME3 for the short time I tested it). Running FRAPS indicates that I easily max ME3 at 60+ FPS.

Here are my specs (According to the ME2 Config Utility):

Spoiler

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz

Clock speed: 2983 MHz

Physical memory: 7.89 GB

Display adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GT 545

VRAM: 1.00 GB

Driver Version: This field is blank

Sound Adapter: TSB-TV-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

Driver Version: 1.3.18.0

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

DirectX Version: DirectX 10.0  (Mar2009) or later (I have DX11)

To reiterate: Running the (Origin version) Mass Effect 2 Configuration Utility and saving ANY changes causes the game to straight up break. The title simply refuses to run after this point (But it ran fine BEFORE using the configuration utility). Attempting to run it through any of its .exes (Or directly through the Origin client) produces no result. The game doesn't run, a splash screen doesn't pop up, and no error message occurs.

I am at my wit's end here. Everyone else here seems to be experiencing identical symptoms regardless of specs (And most of us easily surpass minimum or recommended requirements). An official response of any kind would be nice (Even a "We're investigating this issue").

If I ever get another response from help.ea, I will refer them to this thread. I recommend you all do the same.

Message 24 of 128 (12,072 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I bought the Mass Effect Trilogy last week and honestly I've been fighting with it ever since. I'm having exactly the same problem now as the original poster.

My internet connection is terrible however, would take me around 30 hours to download the game again, not to mention the DLC's. If there's any fix possible without a re-download it would be a massive, massive help.

Might be worth noting that I'm using the latest version of Origin beta. I'm on the verge now of going out and buying the old cheap version of Mass Effect 2 instead - I know it works and I'll probably be playing it before this one.

Message 25 of 128 (12,055 Views)

★★★ Novice

For those looking for some sort of solution:

Avoid using the Mass Effect 2 config utility at all. Instead, try this method to import your ME1 saved character (It's the second method listed in the OP) http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/106/index/883854/1

Essentially, it involves simply copy pasting the correct files into your ME2 directory.

Unfortunately, this means that you'll have less control over your game's graphic settings. Options like AA cannot be edited from within the game's options menu. I assume that this can be corrected by messing with config files and the .ini, but I won't be experimenting with this for fear of causing the same issues that the utility does.

Still waiting on official response to my ticket in the mean time. Would love to see a solution to this so it doesn't feel like I'm stepping on a landmine of file corruption just trying to play.

Message 26 of 128 (12,080 Views)

★★★ Novice

THANK YOU SO MUCH IT WORKED Confusedmileyvery-happy:Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 27 of 128 (12,037 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same Problem Here;

I just finished the first game. I have started the second game and was unable to connect my profile from ME1.

So I found the ME2 configuration utility. I have run it and selected the ME1 save games as it should.

Now in the My User\My Documents\Bioware\Mass effect 2\ save, I see the saves games I have imported.

At first, when I launched the game it was written that my cloud save is not sync. I used my local saves options. Since the game won't start at all.

I have tried to copy the save games manually but it doesn't work either. I just hope someone at EA will look into this.

Message 28 of 128 (11,946 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Reading through all of this is so depressing. :')

Message 29 of 128 (11,940 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

For those with Live Chat access on EA Help, keep trying until you get a non-muppet.  Don't waste time on eMails, unless you are somewhere overseas that EA won't allow Live Chat access for. 

A few of the Game Advisers will try to use only their rote script responses, instead of actually doing much in the way of actually using their brains (my reason for using the term "muppet"). 

Message 30 of 128 (11,931 Views)