Mass Effect 2 won't start

by tyurtel

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect 2 won't start

★ Novice

Same problem, tried almost everything nothing seems to working, any idea?

Message 121 of 128 (2,531 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ddsoad

Go to your ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries" folder and make a copy if the "MassEffect2.exe". 

Then rename the "ME2game.exe" to "OLD_ME2game.exe".

Now rename the "MassEffect2.exe" to "ME2game.exe" (without the quotes) and try to start the game from the new created "ME2game.exe"

If that don't works, delete the "Mass Effect 2" folder in your "Documents\BioWare"  folder. (The "Mass Effect 2" folder under "Documents", not the game folder!)

Then delete the "ME2game.exe", the "OLD_ME2game.exe" and the copy of the "MassEffect2.exe" from your ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries" folder.

Now delete the "Data" folder under ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2"

Start Origin, go to your Games library and start the Download of ME2 again. (Don't worry, it will download a few files only.) > test. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 122 of 128 (2,516 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@alexmf138 Here it is October of 2019, and I am playing through the Mass Effect games. I encountered the issue where running the ME2 config disabled ME2's ability to launch. I followed your post, and it worked like a charm. Thank you.
Message 123 of 128 (1,915 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

CM Edit: Removed - These steps could irreparably harm your save files or worse. 

Message 124 of 128 (1,539 Views)

★ Novice

@Swatson_OS Thank you.  This was the only way I could get the game to work for me

Message 125 of 128 (1,447 Views)

★★ Novice

It is not a hardware issue, I'm using modern parts by todays standards and I'm having the same issue. It is clearly an issue Origin, it is the common denominator.

Message 126 of 128 (1,174 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Swatson_OS wrote:

Cheers

UPDATE: 

Do NOT mess around with the Coalesced.ini file!

It's your configuration file. I tried to change the mouse speed and as soon as I fiddled with it, the game would not start again. After replacing it with the saved original everything was fine again :-)

The Coalesced.ini is bit sensitive, meaning if the file is not exactly the same size as before, the game will not start.

But you can of course edit it if you use the proper tools. 

@WhaleL0rd 

What is the exact problem? (At what point does the game crash, any error messages?) 

What did you tried to fix it? 

Please create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply. You can do that with the "Choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 127 of 128 (1,169 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it from being necroed.

If you have any issues with Mass Effect 2, please make a new topic about your problems and what kind of steps you have tried to solve them.

/Atic
Message 128 of 128 (961 Views)